How to avoid having to re-confirm the segments already confirmed?
Thread poster: Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Local time: 16:09
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2016

Hi all,
I'm using MemoQ for the first time to translate a large project consisting of several files. The problem I've got is that I have already confirmed many of the segments in one file, and when I start another file, even the 101% or 100% match segments require re-confirmation. I gotta press Ctrl + Enter every time I go to those segments. It is really time consuming, especially for the segments with numbers only.
I use Wordfast and I really like the "Translate All" function in Wor
... See more
Hi all,
I'm using MemoQ for the first time to translate a large project consisting of several files. The problem I've got is that I have already confirmed many of the segments in one file, and when I start another file, even the 101% or 100% match segments require re-confirmation. I gotta press Ctrl + Enter every time I go to those segments. It is really time consuming, especially for the segments with numbers only.
I use Wordfast and I really like the "Translate All" function in Wordfast. When I press this button in Wordfast, all match segments will be automatically filled and I don't have to do anything with those 100% match segments.
Do you know anything similar in MemoQ?
Any suggestions would help. Thanks a lot!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Create a view Feb 28, 2016

I always create a View when dealing with multiple files in MemoQ. This displays the files in a single longer file and treats it as a single file for autopropagation/search-replace/pretranslation purposes.

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
Local time: 00:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Sort and confirm Feb 28, 2016

You can adjust filter to see only 101% match segments, then just press Ctrl+A and Ctrl+Enter. All 101% segments will be confirmed. Then you can do the same with 100% segments, then multiple 100% and 101% match segments.

But doing this in a View, when several documents are combined in one is a much more productive practice.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
Pretranslate? Feb 28, 2016

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:

Hi all,

I'm not sure I understand. Are they populated automatically, but not confirmed, or not populated at all in the second (third, fourth, etc.) file? With the effort of a single click, pretranslating would populate the exact/perfect matches and confirm them (you can choose whether or not to confirm them, or what to confirm during pretranslate).

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2016

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Are they populated automatically, but not confirmed, or not populated at all in the second (third, fourth, etc.) file? With the effort of a single click, pretranslating would populate the exact/perfect matches and confirm them (you can choose whether or not to confirm them, or what to confirm during pretranslate).

When I ctrl + enter to go to the next segment, they are populated. But the thing is they are only populated when I go to them. In one file, I got about 300 segments with only numbers, and bullets and numbering. I gotta go to them for the translation to be populated, then confirm them and go to next segments. It just takes a lot of time.

To Rudolf and Mikhail
I tried to create a view using the help here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013/help-en/index.html?create_a_special_collection_of.html but when I go to View tab, I see nothing there. Just getting stuck

[Edited at 2016-02-28 13:14 GMT]

Tiffany Le
Tiffany Le
Canada
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have successfully created a view!!! Feb 28, 2016

Thanks so much for your suggestion of creating a view. This is much better than working on each single file! I have done it successfully by selecting all files, then right click --> create view.
Things are much easier and more comfortable now!!!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:09
English to Russian
Ctrl+Shift+G Feb 28, 2016

Check your settings there.
In Status tab, check first 6 boxes on the left, plus check the Automatically jump after confirmation / Down, plus Only unlocked rows (so that it also jump over the locked ones).

I agree that the 'Create view' is a very useful feature in most cases, but sometimes it may be not that good when you have to split/merge segments. You cannot do it in the View mode.

Also, as mentioned above, in Pretranslate screen, you can choose the Confirm/loc
... See more
In Status tab, check first 6 boxes on the left, plus check the Automatically jump after confirmation / Down, plus Only unlocked rows (so that it also jump over the locked ones).

I agree that the 'Create view' is a very useful feature in most cases, but sometimes it may be not that good when you have to split/merge segments. You cannot do it in the View mode.

Also, as mentioned above, in Pretranslate screen, you can choose the Confirm/lock tab and select "Exact match" + "New status: confirmed". This will result in automatic confirmation upon pretranslation. Provided that you check the 6 Go-to-next settings and autojump, you will not have this problem thereafter.

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:
I got about 300 segments with only numbers

You can also try the 'Populate Number-Only Segments' under Operations

[Edited at 2016-02-28 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
how do you go manually to the page that is opened with ... May 18, 2018

Control + Shift + G

Stepan Konev wrote:

Also, as mentioned above, in Pretranslate screen, you can choose the Confirm/lock tab and select "Exact match" + "New status: confirmed". This will result in automatic confirmation upon pretranslation. Provided that you check the 6 Go-to-next settings and autojump, you will not have this problem thereafter.

Thanh Nguyen Thai wrote:
I got about 300 segments with only numbers

You can also try the 'Populate Number-Only Segments' under Operations

[Edited at 2016-02-28 15:23 GMT]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
I have a similar case May 18, 2018

For instance, in this screen of memoQ 8.3, I have just translated segment 96.
After pressing Control + Intro to confirm and go to next segment,
how can I make for memoQ to go to segment 98 , skipping segment 97, which is already translated and confirmed as a 100% match ? Same question for skipping segments already translated and confirmed with a 101% match.

See more
For instance, in this screen of memoQ 8.3, I have just translated segment 96.
After pressing Control + Intro to confirm and go to next segment,
how can I make for memoQ to go to segment 98 , skipping segment 97, which is already translated and confirmed as a 100% match ? Same question for skipping segments already translated and confirmed with a 101% match.

Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:09
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Go to next status May 18, 2018

In the Edit tab > Go to Next > Settings > Jump to... > Status tab > Make sure "Translator confirmed" is unchecked

You can change the Jump to... settings to your liking.

The shortcut to the Jump to... dialog is Ctrl + Shift + G

[Edited at 2018-05-18 13:17 GMT]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
thank you John ... May 18, 2018

is there a way to protect tags in memoQ ? to avoid altering them while writing in the target segments

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Altering tags May 18, 2018

As far as I know, you can't accidentally alter tags (although there is a tag editor for deliberately editing a tag such as a hyperlink).

What you have to be careful about is not to alter the order of tags in the target segment, because they often represent opening and closing tags which must not overlap. Pressing F9 inserts the next tag. If a tag is missing or if the tag order has been changed, MemoQ won't export the document until the error is corrected.

I always fin
... See more
As far as I know, you can't accidentally alter tags (although there is a tag editor for deliberately editing a tag such as a hyperlink).

What you have to be careful about is not to alter the order of tags in the target segment, because they often represent opening and closing tags which must not overlap. Pressing F9 inserts the next tag. If a tag is missing or if the tag order has been changed, MemoQ won't export the document until the error is corrected.

I always finish a job by running Quality Assurance which includes checking for tag errors.
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
I mean ... May 18, 2018

delete tags accidentally. Is there an option to protect/unprotect tags ?

[Edited at 2018-05-18 15:04 GMT]

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Tags May 18, 2018

Angel Llacuna wrote:

delete tags accidentally. Is there an option to protect/unprotect tags ?

Perhaps this thread will answer your question: https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/206317-tags_in_memoq_pro_4577.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid having to re-confirm the segments already confirmed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »