Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2016

In an almost finished 10000 words on server translation, I hit by mistake a key combination which selected all my string and replaced them with the source language. I see that my translation is in the TM. Each segment gives a 102% match. But if I try to pretranslate, it does not do anything... Can you please help ?

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
Undo? Jul 1, 2016

Can't you just undo that with Ctrl+Z? You probably pressed Ctrl+Shift+S, which copied your source to the target column.
What's the status of your rows now? Are they confirmed (green)?

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Jul 1, 2016

I tried this.
-Selected 3 consecutive segments (appearing in original language, with translation in TM)
- Preparation > Pre-translate
- Selection > Exact match > OK

The result is "The operation has completed successfully". But the strings are still in the original language! (and unconfirmed)
???

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The status is unconfirmed Jul 1, 2016

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Can't you just undo that with Ctrl+Z? You probably pressed Ctrl+Shift+S, which copied your source to the target column.
What's the status of your rows now? Are they confirmed (green)?

Actually I have tried reding 100 strings one by one already... I do not think Ctrl Z can do much now.

Is pre-translation not functional in MemoQ?

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Clear translations Jul 1, 2016

Luca the first thing I would do would be to try Ctrl-Z as has already been suggested.
If that doesn't work, click on Clear translations for the whole file and then see if Pre-translate will work into empty target segments

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
Clear and pretranslate Jul 1, 2016

Your pretranslate setting Exact match will load the exact matches (100%) only. I would choose good match instead, that pretranslates everything that has a match rate above 95%.
Do clear them before you press pretranslate.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Change segment status Jul 1, 2016

For the pre-translation function to work you need to either clear the segments (Preparation/Clear translations) or change their status to Not-started (Preparation/Change segment status).

Ron Willems
Nadia Silva Castro

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You did it, thank you!!! Jul 1, 2016

Anthony Green wrote:
If that doesn't work, click on Clear translations for the whole file and then see if Pre-translate will work into empty target segments

Yes - Clear translation was the key. Thank you both for your help, I am really grateful!!

Vanessa Ordovás

kappel
kappel
English
Pretranslate not working even after Clear All and Change Segment Status Dec 22, 2018

I bought this program in 2016, tried to translate a book with it, and put it aside because the learning curve was very steep and nothing seemed to function as promised. After 2,5 years I decided to try again and translate a fairly simple index. The program seemed to function quite adequately and in a few hours I had assembled a nice Translation Memory.
But I can't do very much with it. If I open the translation window, look at the left row and put the cursor on a segment, several pretrans
... See more
I bought this program in 2016, tried to translate a book with it, and put it aside because the learning curve was very steep and nothing seemed to function as promised. After 2,5 years I decided to try again and translate a fairly simple index. The program seemed to function quite adequately and in a few hours I had assembled a nice Translation Memory.
But I can't do very much with it. If I open the translation window, look at the left row and put the cursor on a segment, several pretranslated fragments are highlighted in blue. In order to get them from source to target (the right row) however, I am required to manually select the relevant terms in the second row (containing the target document) and then click on the relevant 'translation results' in a third column right. I have tried to automatically insert these translated fragments in the target row using the Pretranslate function, but this doesn't produce any results (I have selected Active Document/Any Match/Perform fragment assembly, and when this didn't work I tried clearing all translation results and tried to use Change Segment Status. Still no result. If anyone has a suggestion, that would be appreciated.

[Windows 7, MemoQ 7.8.175]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:09
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Inserting lookup results in target Dec 24, 2018

It's not quite clear what you are trying to do.

The fragments that appear in the right column should be accessible by pressing Ctrl, which will bring up a list of fragments. You can step through them with the up/down arrows and select one to insert by pressing the tab key.

To insert an entire TM lookup result (shown in the right column "Translation results") you can step through them by holding down Ctrl while using the up/down arrows, then press Ctrl+Space to paste the
... See more
It's not quite clear what you are trying to do.

The fragments that appear in the right column should be accessible by pressing Ctrl, which will bring up a list of fragments. You can step through them with the up/down arrows and select one to insert by pressing the tab key.

To insert an entire TM lookup result (shown in the right column "Translation results") you can step through them by holding down Ctrl while using the up/down arrows, then press Ctrl+Space to paste the selected lookup result into the target.
Collapse

Vanessa Ordovás
Vanessa Ordovás  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 25, 2021

Luca Tutino wrote:

Anthony Green wrote:

Yes - Clear translation was the key. Thank you both for your help, I am really grateful!!

Thank you! I hade the same issue as Luca today and this thread saved my life!

Ron Willems
Ron Willems  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Change status to Non-started is sufficient (and necessary) Jul 10, 2022

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

For the pre-translation function to work you need to either clear the segments (Preparation/Clear translations) or change their status to Not-started (Preparation/Change segment status).

Indeed, changing the status to Non-started also worked for me (without clearing any segments!).
This is of course important in case you don't have ALL the segments in your TM, and you would like to keep whatever translations are present in the less-than-100% matching segments.

Thanks Tomasz!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! Pretranslate not working

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »