No memoQ projects cannot be opened
Thread poster: AlenaD
AlenaD
AlenaD
Czech Republic
Dec 4, 2017

Hi,
Can anyone help with a suggestion please?

After a sudden shutdown of my computer, I cannot open any of my projects in memoQ - I got the "System.NullReferenceException" error.

After a restart and an attempt to open a project, I can see the list of documents within the project for a short time, then an error message shows up and the project closes and cannot be opened again. When I attempt to close memoQ, it doesn't close correctly and cannot be opened again s
... See more
Hi,
Can anyone help with a suggestion please?

After a sudden shutdown of my computer, I cannot open any of my projects in memoQ - I got the "System.NullReferenceException" error.

After a restart and an attempt to open a project, I can see the list of documents within the project for a short time, then an error message shows up and the project closes and cannot be opened again. When I attempt to close memoQ, it doesn't close correctly and cannot be opened again saying there is another instance of memoQ running already...

Any tips anybody please? I've got a job done that I need to export from memoQ till tomorrow...

Thanks a lot!
Alena
Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Russian
2 possible workarounds Dec 4, 2017

Install different version of MemoQ. AFAIR it's free for 1 month.
1. If you are lucky, new instance of MemoQ can see and open your old projects.
2. Otherwise you can use more tricky approach. Find MemoQ system directory and your old project in it (name of subdirectory with projects depends on MemoQ version and can be 'Projects', "My Memoq projects', etc.). You need the file DocumentData.sdf, it contains your translation. Copy it to safe place. Create in new MemoQ new project for thi
... See more
Install different version of MemoQ. AFAIR it's free for 1 month.
1. If you are lucky, new instance of MemoQ can see and open your old projects.
2. Otherwise you can use more tricky approach. Find MemoQ system directory and your old project in it (name of subdirectory with projects depends on MemoQ version and can be 'Projects', "My Memoq projects', etc.). You need the file DocumentData.sdf, it contains your translation. Copy it to safe place. Create in new MemoQ new project for this job. Exit MemoQ and replace DocumentData.sdf file in the new project directory with the old version of this file (copied from your previous project). Start MemoQ (keep your fingers crossed).
Good luck!
Collapse

AlenaD
AlenaD
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the workarounds Dec 4, 2017

Hi Enote,
Thanks a lot for the tips!
1. I have a translator pro version 7.8.170, only without prolonged support or upgrade - can I really install a free version without "spoiling" the valid license?
2. I have tried that, but when trying to open a new project I get a new error message System.Exception.
I am desperate, I guess there is no other option than your choice No. 1...
Thanks once again...
Alena

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Russian
valid license Dec 4, 2017

You cannot spoil your valid license. More over, you can switch your valid license to the new instance of MemoQ version 7.X.XX, I suppose (your old MemoQ is crushed, isn't it?). I myself several times switched my MemoQ license between different notebooks - it's easy, just enter you code and your license will be activated for the new instance of MemoQ (and deactivated on the previous).
You should try option 2 only with operating (new) instance of MemoQ.
Good luck!

AlenaD
AlenaD
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
Solution :) Dec 4, 2017

I tried several different versions but neither one worked and the error messages even seemed to pile up and memoQ couldn't even be closed.

So I contacted the official support and their suggestion (not the first one though) worked: to delete Monolingualreview.xml and TermExtract.xml files in the recent projects in the folder C:\users\%username%\documents\my MemoQ Projects after closing memoQ.

Thanks a lot for your help anyhow!...
See more
I tried several different versions but neither one worked and the error messages even seemed to pile up and memoQ couldn't even be closed.

So I contacted the official support and their suggestion (not the first one though) worked: to delete Monolingualreview.xml and TermExtract.xml files in the recent projects in the folder C:\users\%username%\documents\my MemoQ Projects after closing memoQ.

Thanks a lot for your help anyhow!
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:07
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Some ideas Dec 4, 2017

Enote wrote:

2. Otherwise you can use more tricky approach. Find MemoQ system directory and your old project in it (name of subdirectory with projects depends on MemoQ version and can be 'Projects', "My Memoq projects', etc.). You need the file DocumentData.sdf, it contains your translation. Copy it to safe place. Create in new MemoQ new project for this job. Exit MemoQ and replace DocumentData.sdf file in the new project directory with the old version of this file (copied from your previous project). Start MemoQ (keep your fingers crossed).

If you have the original installer file, after performing the above steps to protect your data, you could try uninstalling/reinstalling MemoQ, which could repair the installation. I think installer files may also be available for download from MemoQ's site.

Alternatively, if the problem was caused by the sudden shutdown, using System Restore to restore the computer to a point prior to the shutdown may fix the problem.

Quin Chan
Quin Chan
China
Local time: 22:07
English to Chinese
I meet the 'General Error' when I use the second method. Jan 25, 2019

[quote]Enote wrote:

I can not see all my projects in the project home after my computer breakdown suddenly, so I try the second method to fix it.
After I put the DocumentData.sdf in the right place, there appears the project's progress. But I still fail to open each single file in that project, showed 'General Error', do you know what should I do to fix this problem? (When the first time I saw I can not open each previous project, I thought that would be the problem of the software, so I download the new version of MemoQ. Probably different version of software would cause the 'General Error'?)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No memoQ projects cannot be opened

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »