Thread poster: Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:30
English to German
Oct 12, 2018

Hi all,
I continuously have problems agreeing a wordcount with one of my customers. They designed their own wordcount tool, which always counts less words than MemoQ. We now agreed on the MemoQ count, but since their texts always contain many unprotected tags, they now always want a price reduction "because the unprotected tags are counted in the wordcount".
Does anyone know how MemoQ counts in general (numbers, hyphenated words, unproteced tags, etc.)

Here is what their
... See more
Hi all,
I continuously have problems agreeing a wordcount with one of my customers. They designed their own wordcount tool, which always counts less words than MemoQ. We now agreed on the MemoQ count, but since their texts always contain many unprotected tags, they now always want a price reduction "because the unprotected tags are counted in the wordcount".
Does anyone know how MemoQ counts in general (numbers, hyphenated words, unproteced tags, etc.)

Here is what their files look like.
Ps: is there an easy way for them to avoid all this to be shown in the translatable text?

Grateful for any answer.

Example:
kunft wissen sollten. Kompakt für Sie zusammengestellt, um alle relevanten Informationen schnell erfassen zu können.

Die Ortstaxe ist nicht im Preis enthalten und muss vor Ort und für alle Personen ab 14 Jahren bezahlt werden.Anreise: Das von Ihnen gebuchte Chalet ist ab 15 Uhr für Sie verfügbar. Sollten Sie nach 18 Uhr anreisen, bitten wir Sie uns telefonisch zu informieren, damit auch abends Ihre Anreise reibungslos verläuft.Abreis
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
[Disungooded code] Oct 12, 2018

Elvira Schmid wrote:
Here is what their files look like.

ProZ.com's ancient forum software does not allow for the accurate display of code, so you have to either escape HTML-like elements (does not always do the trick) or take a screenshot.

Here is what Elvira refers to (her text is all black, I coloured it for easier viewing):

memoq sample2

The "OBJ" is an object replacement character with the code U+FFFC, which is a character used to replace something else when converted to plain text (as Elvira's ProZ.com post would be), so it's not unlikely that Elvira's file contains something else at that point in the file. I'm not saying this is relevant to her query.

[Edited at 2018-10-12 09:31 GMT]

Elvira Schmid
Italy
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel Oct 12, 2018

Tried to insert a screenshot, but did not work either:-)

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Regex Oct 12, 2018

Elvira Schmid wrote:

Ps: is there an easy way for them to avoid all this to be shown in the translatable text?

Load the text into memoQ, open the file.
Find the Regex Tagger symbol (in the "Preparation" tab) and click on it.
In the window that opens, under "Filter configuration", select the option "Tags and entities".
Click the OK button on the bottom.

Now all tags should show up as symbols only and won't be included in the word count.

Elvira Schmid
Italy
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful! Oct 12, 2018

Thank you very much Jan!
Did not know that worked!
I tried and it actually solves my problem!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does MemoQ count unprotected tags

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »