Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 4, 2018

Hello everyone

I'm doing a small test translation in MemoQ, and I discovered that MemoQ does a few weird things with apostrophes and quotes. For example, if I type a apostrophe plus a letter that doesn't take an accent directly after a space, MemoQ writes a comma (!). Yes, so if I type ' and then n, then MemoQ writes ,n' and then n, then MemoQ writes ,n instead of 'n or ’n or even ‘n. In mid-word (i.e. if the preceding character is not a space), MemoQ always writes a closing single quote when I try to type an apostrophe, e.g. if I type I and then ' and then m, MemoQ writes I‘m instead of I'm or I’m. How can I fix this? It gets weirder when I try to type double quotes. If I type " and then x and then ", MemoQ writes ,,x‘‘ instead of "x" or “x”. I'm using the US International keyboard in Windows.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2018-12-04 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Autocorrect Dec 4, 2018

It sounds as if you have enabled smart quotes under AutoCorrect. Just switch them off. In some languages, for example German, the opening quote can look like a comma, for example:

„Guten Tag, Mann“
‚Guten Tag, Mann‘

Danish also traditionally used quotes like this, but the influence from English means that it's more common to see the following today:

”Goddag, mand”
’Goddag, mand’... See more
It sounds as if you have enabled smart quotes under AutoCorrect. Just switch them off. In some languages, for example German, the opening quote can look like a comma, for example:

„Guten Tag, Mann“
‚Guten Tag, Mann‘

Danish also traditionally used quotes like this, but the influence from English means that it's more common to see the following today:

”Goddag, mand”
’Goddag, mand’

https://support.memoq.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/362/12/autocorrect-lists-in-memoq
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Dec 4, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
It sounds as if you have enabled smart quotes under AutoCorrect.

Okay, I'll try it next time.

[Edited at 2018-12-04 21:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to type apostrophes and quotes in MemoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »