MemoQ now hijacks other CAT tools' file associations?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 24, 2018

Hello everyone

I rarely work with TXLF files, but after receiving a TXLF job recently and updating my installation of WFP 5 to the latest version, I discovered that TXLF files now had this new icon:

memoq file icon

I don't open TXLF files by double-clicking them but by dragging and dropping them, so I never discovered that this icon is actually a MemoQ icon, and that what this means is that MemoQ had hijacked the TXLF file association when I had recently installed it.

I found out about this today when a client sent me a Trados 7 file (i.e. TTX), and it had the same file icon. And lo, when double-click the TTX file, it no longer opens in Trados but in MemoQ.

I would never have chosen an option, when installing MemoQ, that I want MemoQ to open become the default program for my other CAT tools. Oddly, SDLXLIFF files haven't been hijacked (perhaps an oversight by the MemoQ developers?). TXML files remained similarly unaffected.

So, there you have it, folks. First, do no evil.

Samuel

[Edited at 2018-12-24 09:48 GMT]

Ricki Farn

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Vortex? Dec 24, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

memoq file icon

I would never have chosen an option, when installing MemoQ, that I want MemoQ to open become the default program for my other CAT tools. Oddly, SDLXLIFF files haven't been hijacked (perhaps an oversight by the MemoQ developers?). TXML files remained similarly unaffected.

Perhaps the icon indicates a vortex that sucks in everything?

Unknown

Ricki Farn

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 07:10
English to German
Yes, I have this, too Dec 25, 2018

... and it is one of the very few things in my life that I can definitely not blame on the squirrels. So a vortex it must be!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
tmx files as well Dec 31, 2018

memoQ hijacks tmx file extension and the old Trados bilingual format ttx as well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ now hijacks other CAT tools' file associations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »