Clouding TMs?
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 08:16
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2019

Is there a way to cloud MemoQ TMs at all, as with SDL Trados? MemoQ seems to only allow the use of TMs that are located in its native directory. This is really bad in case your PC decides to give you a critical failure mid-project. Yes, I know I can establish a regular TM copying regime, but who has enough time, patience and brain memory for that.

I've seen some Kilgray offerings for cloud servers, but they are apparently for corporate users and crazy-expensive.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another approach Feb 1, 2019

Unless you plan to share the memory with other people, what you basically need is a backup solution that works automatically. In my case, for my workstation and for my team's server, etc. I use Acronis, which is very easy to use and not expensive at all. You might have to contact a reseller, depending on your home market.

I do not think a memoQ cloud server is for you, since you do not mention working within a team. A memoQ cloud server is ideal for small permanent teams of for ad-h
... See more
Unless you plan to share the memory with other people, what you basically need is a backup solution that works automatically. In my case, for my workstation and for my team's server, etc. I use Acronis, which is very easy to use and not expensive at all. You might have to contact a reseller, depending on your home market.

I do not think a memoQ cloud server is for you, since you do not mention working within a team. A memoQ cloud server is ideal for small permanent teams of for ad-hoc teams created for large, temporary projects. If you generally work alone, you do not really need a memoQ server, in my opinion.
Collapse

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Current sync Feb 1, 2019

Does the thing (and the automated solutions you mentioned) offer file synchronization (uploading to the cloud) on a current/very frequent basis? I'd like to avoid situations where I lose several hours of work due to PC failure (did happen to me already in the past). In such case, if using a cloud, I could just jump on wife's PC and continue working to meet the deadline.

I was also thinking of installing some software tool that would automatically copy the MemoQ TMs to a memory card
... See more
Does the thing (and the automated solutions you mentioned) offer file synchronization (uploading to the cloud) on a current/very frequent basis? I'd like to avoid situations where I lose several hours of work due to PC failure (did happen to me already in the past). In such case, if using a cloud, I could just jump on wife's PC and continue working to meet the deadline.

I was also thinking of installing some software tool that would automatically copy the MemoQ TMs to a memory card for recovery purposes. Does anyone use this type of magic 'round here? Freeware solutions would be welcome.

[Edited at 2019-02-01 08:43 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Language terminal? Feb 1, 2019

I've never actually used it, but check it out and see if it offers anything that meets your needs.

And, well, auto-sync backups are always an option.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:16
Danish to English
+ ...
Online backup Feb 1, 2019

I have used online backup for many years. There are many providers, some less good than others. The files and folders you specify are backed up on an ongoing basis by most such providers without any need for you to do anything.

Some providers keep a number of different versions. How many depends on the service. Some providers also keep files and folders that have been deleted from your computer, most only for a month, but some keep them forever or until you remove them from the bac
... See more
I have used online backup for many years. There are many providers, some less good than others. The files and folders you specify are backed up on an ongoing basis by most such providers without any need for you to do anything.

Some providers keep a number of different versions. How many depends on the service. Some providers also keep files and folders that have been deleted from your computer, most only for a month, but some keep them forever or until you remove them from the backup set.

Restore of a few files is nearly instant.

There are some free providers. I prefer to pay for a provider that corresponds to my needs. I provide a professional service, so I depend on my own providers to do the same.

I have been using Crashplan for many years. It works and performs well, and support is good, but I hate the new grey-in-grey, dumbed-down smartphone-style user interface they forced upon their PC users a year ago, and so do many other clients according to support.

These are the default MemoQ folders you need to back up:

TBs, TMs, and other resources:
C:\ProgramData\MemoQ

Settings:
C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ

Projects:
C:\Users\{user}\My Documents\My memoQ Projects

In addition, you need to back up your own user folders.

You can omit the AppData folders, but if you have them, you can install the software and your folders, and you have essentially migrated your entire MemoQ installation with all its projects to another computer. I wrote a detailed set of instructions for it in another forum post. Migrating this way is unsupported, but it worked fine for me.
Collapse

Dominic D.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:16
Danish to English
+ ...
Not auto-sync Feb 1, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I've never actually used it, but check it out and see if it offers anything that meets your needs.

And, well, auto-sync backups are always an option.

As far as I understand auto-sync, it keeps files synchronised in two different locations, so if files are damaged or deleted in one location, they'll quickly be damaged or deleted in the other location too. This should not be confused with backup.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 1, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Some providers keep a number of different versions. How many depends on the service. Some providers also keep files and folders that have been deleted from your computer, most only for a month, but some keep them forever or until you remove them from the backup set.

Restore of a few files is nearly instant.

There are some free providers. I prefer to pay for a provider that corresponds to my needs. I provide a professional service, so I depend on my own providers to do the same.

I have been using Crashplan for many years. It works and performs well, and support is good, but I hate the new grey-in-grey, dumbed-down smartphone-style user interface they forced upon their PC users a year ago, and so do many other clients according to support.

These are the default MemoQ folders you need to back up:

TBs, TMs, and other resources:
C:\ProgramData\MemoQ

Settings:
C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ

Projects:
C:\Users\{user}\My Documents\My memoQ Projects

In addition, you need to back up your own user folders.

You can omit the AppData folders, but if you have them, you can install the software and your folders, and you have essentially migrated your entire MemoQ installation with all its projects to another computer. I wrote a detailed set of instructions for it in another forum post. Migrating this way is unsupported, but it worked fine for me.

Thanks a lot, fellow translator! I'll check it out, as well as maybe some other tools. In fact, what would suffice in my case is auto-copying files to an SD card. The chance of the SD card getting corrupted due to PC failure is pretty much 0%, unless there is some power surge - but the chance of this happening is also pretty much 0%, so 0+0 gives a 0 (are you with me with those complicated probability calculations?). This is the type of thing that should be possible with freeware, or at least "cheapware".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clouding TMs?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »