Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2019

How do we prevent MemoQ from adding a space at the end of a target segment? A coworker for whom I review often has a space at the end and I have to keep deleting them. He said that he does not add them; they just appear. I did a search to find a way to "turn off" that "feature" but couldn't find it. (My copy of MemoQ doesn't add those spaces.)

The only thing I found was how to set QA settings, but we don't want them to just show up as warnings in QA; we don't want them to be add
... See more
How do we prevent MemoQ from adding a space at the end of a target segment? A coworker for whom I review often has a space at the end and I have to keep deleting them. He said that he does not add them; they just appear. I did a search to find a way to "turn off" that "feature" but couldn't find it. (My copy of MemoQ doesn't add those spaces.)

The only thing I found was how to set QA settings, but we don't want them to just show up as warnings in QA; we don't want them to be added in the first place.

Anybody know how to fix this? I have searched the internet and MemoQ indexes, and also this forum, and I have not found the answer.

P.S. We segment by sentences, not paragraphs. MemoQ Translator Pro 8.7.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the translator to document it Dec 10, 2019

Ask the translator to enable display of non-printing characters and send a screenshot before he starts typing in an empty target cell. That will clarify if there is any space before he starts typing.

In case he claims spaces are added while he types, you can ask for a screen video. Flashback Express Recorder can do that (there is a free version). When he ends the recording, he needs to select Rev
... See more
Ask the translator to enable display of non-printing characters and send a screenshot before he starts typing in an empty target cell. That will clarify if there is any space before he starts typing.

In case he claims spaces are added while he types, you can ask for a screen video. Flashback Express Recorder can do that (there is a free version). When he ends the recording, he needs to select Review, then Export as e.g. WMV, not Save.
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
English
+ ...
Workaround Dec 10, 2019

I run into this when text is pasted into the target segment.
It is easy to fix with a regular expression search/replace. Search for " $" (without the quotes, i.e. a space followed by an end of segment $ sign). Replace with nothing.
You can do the same at the beginning of the line, searching for "^ " and replacing that with nothing.
But you will need to reconfirm all those lines, which could be a deal breaker.
George

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An option in the results pane Dec 10, 2019

I think what is probably happening is that the translator used segments from the TM and has the added space option enabled in the translation results pane. When you right-click the translation results pane, you can see the option there.
memoQ Space

As for hidden characters, it is always something to have enabled whenever you work in professional translation. It will save you a lot of trouble. Please encourage your translator to enable it by right-clicking the translation grid, choosing Customize Appearance and then enabling Show non-printing characters.

I hope this helps!

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not solved Dec 10, 2019

Thank you, everyone. I shared with him the workaround suggested and he will try that.

We looked at his settings and he does not have Append Space … turned on. He did have the next line on, overwrite target with TM or corpus, and I suggested that he turn that off, because that seems to be safer, to keep the translation he meant to have in there.

We looked at a document he is working on, with non-printing characters showing. There were a few lines with one or two s
... See more
Thank you, everyone. I shared with him the workaround suggested and he will try that.

We looked at his settings and he does not have Append Space … turned on. He did have the next line on, overwrite target with TM or corpus, and I suggested that he turn that off, because that seems to be safer, to keep the translation he meant to have in there.

We looked at a document he is working on, with non-printing characters showing. There were a few lines with one or two spaces added at the end. The ones that we looked at were ones that he translated from scratch because there were no TM results. I asked him if he wasn't sure he just types a space out of habit after the period and he said he was sure. I suggested that he watch while typing with the non-printing characters showing, to see what happens, and he will.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ do not add space at end of target

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »