Heather Howey
Heather Howey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:38
Member (2007)
Swedish to English
Dec 28, 2019

Translator Pro 8.7.18

How can I get MemoQ to tell me when I've translated a certain number of words in a very large document, or let me know how many words I've translated in the day?

Heather

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
One way of doing it Dec 28, 2019

I don't know if there's a way to get memoQ to count the number of words you translate in a day, but there definitely is a workaround. Here's what I do when I have a large job.

Let's I'm working on a 60,000-word document that's due in 30 working days.

60,000÷30 = 2000

That's the number of words I need to translate every working day in order to finish on time. (In practice, of course, I would allow time for proofreading, but I'm keeping this simple.)
... See more
I don't know if there's a way to get memoQ to count the number of words you translate in a day, but there definitely is a workaround. Here's what I do when I have a large job.

Let's I'm working on a 60,000-word document that's due in 30 working days.

60,000÷30 = 2000

That's the number of words I need to translate every working day in order to finish on time. (In practice, of course, I would allow time for proofreading, but I'm keeping this simple.)

2000÷60,000 = 0.033 X 100 = 3.3%

That's the percentage of the document I need to translate every day in order to meet the deadline.

At the beginning of each workday, I hover my mouse pointer over the project name on the memoQ dashboard. The green bar in the Progress column changes to reflect what percentage of the document I have already translated, in whole percentage points. Let's say that today I have translated 46% of the document. Since memoQ rounds off the number, I actually try to reach 4% each day. I know that I need to have translated at least 50% by the end of the day.
Collapse

Heather Howey
Heather Howey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2007)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yess! Dec 28, 2019

Of course! thank-you, James!

/Heather

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 17:38
German to English
+ ...
Running word count Dec 30, 2019

You can run statistics at the end of each day.
This will give a weighted count of what remains (and subtracting from the previous day - the delta)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Run a Report Dec 30, 2019

Project home tab > Overview > Progress > Create new report now

This will create a table showing how many segments, words, characters have been translated and their percentages.

On a long job I will run a report every hour or two, which shows whether I am maintaining the pace or getting distracted.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to mark wordcount-based sections in large document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »