PSA for those using MemoQ with Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Շարքի հրապարակողը: Bree Salmon

Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Ճապոնիա
Local time: 02:55
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
Dec 31, 2019

I just wanted to issue a PSA for anyone who might be affected. It turns out that MemoQ 9.2.5 (and maybe earlier versions of 9.x) fixed a problem I was having with Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) eventually becoming so slow as to be unusable. In MemoQ 8.x, it seemed that having a DNS profile active and then typing text manually into segments in MemoQ would, after several such instances, cause Dragon's performance to dramatically slow and eventually bring the program to a halt, requiring DNS to be ... See more
I just wanted to issue a PSA for anyone who might be affected. It turns out that MemoQ 9.2.5 (and maybe earlier versions of 9.x) fixed a problem I was having with Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) eventually becoming so slow as to be unusable. In MemoQ 8.x, it seemed that having a DNS profile active and then typing text manually into segments in MemoQ would, after several such instances, cause Dragon's performance to dramatically slow and eventually bring the program to a halt, requiring DNS to be shut down and restarted to regain functionality.

I am extremely happy that this issue appears to be fixed — thank you, thank you to whoever at MemoQ was responsible!
Collapse

Paula Darwish

James McVay  Identity Verified
Միացյալ Նահանգներ
Local time: 13:55
ռուսերենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Excellent news! Dec 31, 2019

I've had that problem as well, especially on longer translations. I have found, however, that as long as I avoid touching the keyboard, Dragon keeps on working. Of course, that means I need either to spell out words not in Dragon's vocabulary or open the Dictation box and type there. Naturally, that slows me down.

It's great that Nuance has solved the problem. That might even make it worthwhile to upgrade to the latest release.

Paula Darwish  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Local time: 18:55
Անդամ (2013)
թուրքերենից անգլերեն
Problems with dragon professional 15 and Memoq Jan 23

I am still having exactly the problems described here although I have upgraded to the latest version of Memoq (9.2). It seems the only solution is not to use the keyboard at all in conjunction with Dragon. I has an SSD fitted in my laptop but with both programmes running, it still really struggles.

Ճապոնիա
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, spoke too soon Jan 23

Yes, it seems I spoke too soon with my first post. I'm still having the problem, as well, although it seems to be much improved from earlier versions.

One thing that seems to upset Dragon with respect to using it together with MemoQ is typing characters in foreign languages. Typing a few words out in Japanese, in my case, seems to greatly accelerate Dragon's descent into madness. It also doesn't seem to like numbers being typed out, but that might not be accurate.

Essen
... See more
Yes, it seems I spoke too soon with my first post. I'm still having the problem, as well, although it seems to be much improved from earlier versions.

One thing that seems to upset Dragon with respect to using it together with MemoQ is typing characters in foreign languages. Typing a few words out in Japanese, in my case, seems to greatly accelerate Dragon's descent into madness. It also doesn't seem to like numbers being typed out, but that might not be accurate.

Essentially, the only way around this issue (still) is to do as James has said above: use the dictation box. Here's to hoping this problem gets fixed.
Collapse

Paula Darwish

Ճապոնիա
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
Another update - fixed now? Mar 13

So I think I may have fixed it. Or at least greatly improved the situation.

Looking around on the Knowbrainer forums (an excellent source for information and advice about using Dragon), I came across a post mentioning possible conflicts between Skype and Dragon. So, I uninstalled Skype, and everything seems good now.

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled
... See more

Looking around on the Knowbrainer forums (an excellent source for information and advice about using Dragon), I came across a post mentioning possible conflicts between Skype and Dragon. So, I uninstalled Skype, and everything seems good now.

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled Skype.

I'm not sure if this is a complete and permanent fix, but I haven't noticed any slowdown since. Would like to hear if anyone else gets the same result.
Collapse

Helen McKinnon  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
գերմաներենից անգլերեն
Thanks for clearing that up Jul 2

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the i... See more
Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the issue will have been resolved in the latest version, otherwise I will have to give up as it is just too slow.

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the dictation box open all the time? Mine closes once I have clicked "transfer".

Many thanks in advance,

Helen
Collapse

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Անդամ (2009)
հոլանդերենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Speech Productivity (a better dictation box for Dragon) Jul 2

Btw, for a MUCH BETTER dictation box, try this: http://www.speechproductivity.eu/

Michael

Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Անդամ (2013)
թուրքերենից անգլերեն
Memoq 9.4 / dragon issues Jul 2

FYI to Helen,

I wrote to MemoQ to ask if later versions worked better with Dragon and they said that Dragon was not supported in later versions so I am interested to see how you get on with 9.4. I am still using an earlier version.

Helen McKinnon wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the issue will have been resolved in the latest version, otherwise I will have to give up as it is just too slow.

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the dictation box open all the time? Mine closes once I have clicked "transfer".

Many thanks in advance,

Helen

Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Անդամ (2013)
թուրքերենից անգլերեն
anyone using speechproductivity with MemoQ? Jul 2

I am interested to hear if anyone has used this successfully with recent versions of MemoQ?
Michael Beijer wrote:

Btw, for a MUCH BETTER dictation box, try this: http://www.speechproductivity.eu/

Michael

Timothy Barton
Local time: 19:55
ֆրանսերենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Skype - full uninstall, or just close it? Sep 21

Did you find you had to do a full uninstall of Skype, or did you just have to close the program (via the taskbar, of course, as simply closing the window doesn't stop Skype from running)?

Bree Salmon wrote:

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled Skype.

I'm not sure if this is a complete and permanent fix, but I haven't noticed any slowdown since. Would like to hear if anyone else gets the same result.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PSA for those using MemoQ with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Բառերի որոնում
  • Պատվերներ
  • Ֆորումներ
  • Multiple search