Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 13, 2020

I think I asked this before and didn´t get an answer. Maybe because there isn´t one, but I am trying again.

In Trados whenever I would receive a bilingual file to review (a Trados package), I could easily spot any changes the translator made to the segment in comparison to my TM suggestions. They appeared like track changes.

But in MemoQ, whenever I review a file, I have to read their translation of the segment and the whole segment that shows up in my TM to see if
... See more
I think I asked this before and didn´t get an answer. Maybe because there isn´t one, but I am trying again.

In Trados whenever I would receive a bilingual file to review (a Trados package), I could easily spot any changes the translator made to the segment in comparison to my TM suggestions. They appeared like track changes.

But in MemoQ, whenever I review a file, I have to read their translation of the segment and the whole segment that shows up in my TM to see if there are any differences, which is a waste of time. (It shows track changes on the source, but not the target.) We do not work with a project manager, so we don´t use the package feature in MemoQ (it isn´t like the Trados packages). The translator just exports a bilingual file and sends it to the reviewer. The reviewer turns on Track Changes, makes suggested changes, exports that, and sends it back to the translator.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to show track changes on the target side of the TM that appears on our screen, so we can see what differences (if any) exist between it and the translation we receive?
Collapse

Maria Gutierrez
Maria Gutierrez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
track changes in memoQ May 13, 2020

Hi MollyRose, I am not very proficient in memoQ, because I had always used SDL Trados, but when I get the bilingual rtf file from the reviewer, it gives me the option to import it showing track changes for any change made. It shows in the document, not in the TM, though. I hope this works for you.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification May 13, 2020

Thanks, Maria, but that is not what I am talking about. For one thing, we export and import MemoQ files back and forth to each other, working directly in MemoQ the whole time. One of the benefits of this is that, as reviewer, I can add new TUs to my own TM (it uses my version when I make a correction), thereby building my TM for future files.

I am talking about when the translator first sends me a file to review. In Trados, on a TU, whenever my TM showed a 100% or fuzzy match of
... See more
Thanks, Maria, but that is not what I am talking about. For one thing, we export and import MemoQ files back and forth to each other, working directly in MemoQ the whole time. One of the benefits of this is that, as reviewer, I can add new TUs to my own TM (it uses my version when I make a correction), thereby building my TM for future files.

I am talking about when the translator first sends me a file to review. In Trados, on a TU, whenever my TM showed a 100% or fuzzy match of the source, it would show the differences in both source and target as though it were track changes.

In MemoQ, it only shows the changes in the source but not in the target (the difference between my TM target and the translator´s version). So I have to read every word in their translation (even if it shows as a 100% match) and in my TM to see if there is any difference. If there is, I must decide whether or not I should change my TM or add an alternative TU, make a change in their translation, or just let theirs slide but it isn´t worth adding to my TM or changing my TU.

I hope this is clear now. It is a difficult question to put into words.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:08
English to Russian
When you drag the review file as edited by translator, May 14, 2020

in the 'Document import options' window, check the 'Import edits as tracked changes' checkbox in the right lower corner. It is disabled by default.
This will show you the difference between your TM and translator's segments in the target section.
*I think Maria Gutierrez meant exactly the same but she did not specify where you could find this option.

[Edited at 2020-05-14 00:18 GMT]

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot find the import option May 14, 2020

I started to import a bilingual file with options, but there is no 'Import edits as tracked changes' checkbox in the import options window. I have MemoQ 8.6. I also looked at the top menu under options and anywhere that might contain this type of setting and have not found it (for a global setting).

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Import with options > Select rtf > Tick the checkbox May 15, 2020

It seems to be a new feature. I cannot even find its description anywhere as if it never existed...
However, here is something a
... See more

It seems to be a new feature. I cannot even find its description anywhere as if it never existed...
However, here is something about tracking changes in memoQ8:
http://kb.stptrans.com/Article.aspx?p=375

[Edited at 2020-05-15 03:17 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
track changes in TM versions May 15, 2020

Maybe this title will make it clearer what I have been looking for.

Thank you, Stepan, for the screen shot and link. I have been using Review/Track Changes, but I learned something new as I scrolled down. Whenever someone sends us a changed document to update our translations, I don´t rely on THEIR track changes, colored highlights, etc. (in the few cases where they send them) because they often have changes in there that are not marked....
See more
Maybe this title will make it clearer what I have been looking for.

Thank you, Stepan, for the screen shot and link. I have been using Review/Track Changes, but I learned something new as I scrolled down. Whenever someone sends us a changed document to update our translations, I don´t rely on THEIR track changes, colored highlights, etc. (in the few cases where they send them) because they often have changes in there that are not marked. I just use my TM for leverage (or Compare Documents in Word, depending on which way is more convenient). But when a document does come with tracked changes (rarely), I just accept them and then import to MemoQ (or make the changes in my previous finalized translation) because I know those are changes they want. From your link, I learned that we can import a Word doc with tracked changes and when we make a change and confirm the new TU, it will show as a TC in our TM. I will keep that in mind in case we ever need that feature.

I am not sure about the .rtf import screenshot that is shown. I have only converted source documents to .rtf when there is something wrong with the source (usually Word) file or there is something in it that MemoQ cannot process and I can´t find and remove it.

I am talking about the .mqxlz file that the translator exports and sends to me to review. I turn on Track Changes to show my corrections and suggestions. Our TMs are similar (the other 2 translators got to import my huge TMs and TB when they started working with us) and we save the TUs from files we review for each other. Therefore, when I receive a bilingual file to review, I will see the % matches to Their TM. I would like to KNOW whether or not the 100% matches for their TM are also 100% matches to mine, so I don´t have to read all the words in their translation and my TM to see if there is a difference (and decide what to do about that difference, if anything). In Trados, it would show markings like track changes in my TM whenever any fuzzy match would appear, so I could just focus on the differences and skim through the rest. This is what I would like to see in MemoQ, too.

Does anybody know if this is possible in MemoQ and how to turn on that feature? Again, we don't have PMs or use the MemoQ version of packages because it is not the same as a Trados package. We just import and export .mqxlz bilingual files for reviewing each other's translations and sending them back to the translator to finalize.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Import without tracked changes May 15, 2020

MollyRose wrote:
From your link, I learned that we can import a Word doc with tracked changes

I understand that the link I shared was not about what you needed. I shared just in case you can find any clue from there.
The option I mentioned above does not need a document with tracked changes. As you can see from the screenshot below, the Track Changes feature is off in both translator's and your versions. That is, you can import a document withOUT tracked changes to see the difference.

However this seems to work with memoQ9+ versions.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
blue is my TM? May 15, 2020

Thanks, Stepan.

So the part in blue print on the right is "my" TM fuzzy match suggestion? If so, then it would be worth getting MemoQ 9. Hmmm, maybe. On the other hand, I would only want to see the difference but not necessarily accept the change. It would be better if the differences were shown in my TM instead of in the translation. I wonder if this would make more work for the reviewer--rejecting a bunch of "changes" to acceptable translations just because they don't match my
... See more
Thanks, Stepan.

So the part in blue print on the right is "my" TM fuzzy match suggestion? If so, then it would be worth getting MemoQ 9. Hmmm, maybe. On the other hand, I would only want to see the difference but not necessarily accept the change. It would be better if the differences were shown in my TM instead of in the translation. I wonder if this would make more work for the reviewer--rejecting a bunch of "changes" to acceptable translations just because they don't match my TM. Or Accepting with Track Changes on, so it shows the translator that I Rejected the suggested change from my TM when they don´t need to see what is in my TM. I have noticed that track changes can get messy in MemoQ because it sometimes shows deletions in blue where I deleted something that I added, instead of simply deleting what I had added. I have to turn off Track Changes, delete the deletion from what I had added, and turn them back on.

In Trados and Word, it is only 1 click to Reject a change. I don´t know why MemoQ puts Accept and Reject under one arrow and requires extra clicks. It is annoying!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Trial version available May 16, 2020

MollyRose wrote:
So the part in blue print on the right is "my" TM fuzzy match suggestion?

Yes, the segment with 3 letters highlighted (in the middle) is "as if" yours.

MollyRose wrote:
If so, then it would be worth getting MemoQ 9.

You'd better try it for free first — I don't want you to curse me

[Edited at 2020-05-16 01:45 GMT]

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way! May 16, 2020

Thanks, Stepan, for your help and patiently answering all my questions, as well as the reminder that I can try it for free. And don't worry, I don't curse people. That's not how God made me in Christ.

Besides, if I were to try version 9 with this option and it didn't work the way I want, it would be my decision, not your "fault."

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction of my previous post. Blue is NOT "my" TM; it is theirs May 20, 2020

I looked at the Knowledge Base again and read it more carefully. That feature is only for when the translator or PM sends you their TM, and the track changes are between THEIR TM and the changes, not your own TM. So back to square one.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No, TM has nothing to do with this May 20, 2020

Whatever in you read in the Knowledge Base, I did it myself. And I did not use any external TM at all. Nobody sent my anything. I have only one which is mine. I just imported an amended rtf-file and it showed the difference between my version and the amended file.

Could you please give a link to what you read in KB?

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
comparing apples and oranges May 20, 2020

Stepan: I was putting info together from your screenshot (with blue and red fonts) and the KB that you posted:

None of the posts h
... See more
Stepan: I was putting info together from your screenshot (with blue and red fonts) and the KB that you posted:

None of the posts have answered my question so far. I am talking about what looks like track changes in My TM as opposed to what the translator's target says. Much of the time they are the same and I don´t have to concern myself with wondering which, if either, should be changed (my TM or their translation, or if I should add their translation as a variation to my TM). But without that feature, I have to read every word of their translation, even though it says 100% match, and every word in my TM, to see if there are any differences. We each have our own TM but because I shared my TM with them when they first came, and we review each other´s work and continue to build our TMs, their 100% match might not be my 100% match on the Target side, even though it is 100% in the source side. That was a nice feature in Trados.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok May 20, 2020

I give up

[Edited at 2020-05-20 22:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Track changes in Translation Memory

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »