Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 22, 2020

Hello everyone

I ran a QA check and opted to fix errors immediately. MemoQ is showing me the list of errors, with source and target text boxes at the top. After I fixed an error, I can move to the next or previous error using Ctrl + up or down. Marking an error as fixed is done using Ctrl + Enter. But: I can only mark one segment at a time. Even if I checked 20 or 30 segments, I can't figure out how to select multiple issues in the list and mark them all as fixed in one go. Is
... See more
Hello everyone

I ran a QA check and opted to fix errors immediately. MemoQ is showing me the list of errors, with source and target text boxes at the top. After I fixed an error, I can move to the next or previous error using Ctrl + up or down. Marking an error as fixed is done using Ctrl + Enter. But: I can only mark one segment at a time. Even if I checked 20 or 30 segments, I can't figure out how to select multiple issues in the list and mark them all as fixed in one go. Is there a keyboard shortcut that I'm missing? Shift + mouse click doesn't work either. So, at this time, I have to rapidly press Ctrl + down and Ctrl + Enter in quick succession hundreds of times over and over, just to mark the issues as fixed.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Paolo Sebastiani

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:13
Danish to English
+ ...
Not sure what you mean Jun 22, 2020

Ctrl+Enter confirms a segment, and during the QA phase it also marks the problems as fixed (sometimes even if it hasn't been fixed).

Are you saying there are errors you need to correct in hundreds of segments? Or are you talking about ignoring certain false positives? You can ignore all of a certain type of error in one go using the menu.

If there are many errors to fix, it would seem better to return to the translation grid and fix them there (they have a yellow/orange
... See more
Ctrl+Enter confirms a segment, and during the QA phase it also marks the problems as fixed (sometimes even if it hasn't been fixed).

Are you saying there are errors you need to correct in hundreds of segments? Or are you talking about ignoring certain false positives? You can ignore all of a certain type of error in one go using the menu.

If there are many errors to fix, it would seem better to return to the translation grid and fix them there (they have a yellow/orange flash icon), then confirm them in bulk and run a new QA. You can also refresh the QA from the QA screen. It's always a good idea to keep doing this until you have a clean QA screen, as you may create a new error when you fix one, and in case of length errors, the length isn't re-checked when you confirm the segment, even if it is marked as fixed.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Jun 22, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
If there are many errors to fix, it would seem better to return to the translation grid and fix them there (they have a yellow/orange flash icon)...

I find it easier to fix errors of a certain type all at the same time. And right now, I'm doing consistency errors, and it's a lot easier to fix consistency errors if the two segments are right next to each other. But the same applies to other errors: I prefer to fix a certain category before moving on to the next category.

Alternatively, is there a way to mark something as false positive easily? There is an "Ignore" column but I don't seem to have any ability to change whether there is a mark in that column or not. 99% of the 750 apostrophe mismatch flags are false positives. And why, oh, why can't MemoQ tell that "word {tag} word" doesn't have a double space in it?!

Another question:
The client wants me to fix all inconsistency issues, regardless of context. Is it possible to point to one of a set of inconsistent translations and tell MemoQ "this is the correct one, fix all others to look like this one"? At this time, I'm using an AutoIt script that uses Ctrl+Shift+NumPadAdd for select all and copy, and Ctrl+NumPadAdd for select all and paste, so it's quicker to copy the content of the correct ones and paste them into the incorrect ones, but: surely there must be a quicker, faster way in MemoQ?

[Edited at 2020-06-22 17:05 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Use the mass ignore Jun 22, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Alternatively, is there a way to mark something as false positive easily? There is an "Ignore" column but I don't seem to have any ability to change whether there is a mark in that column or not. 99% of the 750 apostrophe mismatch flags are false positives. And why, oh, why can't MemoQ tell that "word {tag} word" doesn't have a double space in it?!

[Edited at 2020-06-22 17:05 GMT]

Samuel, are you aware of the "mass ignore" function in MemoQ? If you click the little arrow below the "Ignore" button in the menu bar (!), you have several options to ignore several similar errors at a time. Since terminology errors, and some others, are 99.9% false alarms, you need this feature dearly.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:13
Danish to English
+ ...
Various Jun 22, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

And right now, I'm doing consistency errors, and it's a lot easier to fix consistency errors if the two segments are right next to each other. But the same applies to other errors: I prefer to fix a certain category before moving on to the next category.

I also sort them by category. But if you get so many consistency errors, I wonder if you're using a View and Auto-propagation. This fills in repetitions automatically so you don't end up with a flood of consistency errors.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Alternatively, is there a way to mark something as false positive easily? There is an "Ignore" column but I don't seem to have any ability to change whether there is a mark in that column or not. 99% of the 750 apostrophe mismatch flags are false positives.

As Karl-Viktor Stegemann and I said, you can ignore all of a certain type in one go. Use the Ignore function and chose the granularity you want. If an issue has not been solved, you can also tick manually to ignore it one at a time.

Annotation 2020-06-22 185647

Click on Hide ignored items to hide items you have ignored from the view.

Samuel Murray wrote:
And why, oh, why can't MemoQ tell that "word {tag} word" doesn't have a double space in it?!

It depends on what's in the tag. If it's just a formatting tag, for example, there would indeed be a double space. Have you set the tag display to Long? Then it's easier to get an idea what it is.

Annotation 2020-06-22 185647

Samuel Murray wrote:
The client wants me to fix all inconsistency issues, regardless of context. Is it possible to point to one of a set of inconsistent translations and tell MemoQ "this is the correct one, fix all others to look like this one"?

Yes. If there's more than one file, be sure to create a view with all files (right-click > Create view) from the file list.

Then go to Translation > Translation settings > Auto-propagation and choose the appropriate behaviour. Beware that this is presently a global MemoQ setting, not a project-specific setting. If you do this from the start, you won't get all the QA trouble.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mark multiple issues as fixed in QA report

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »