Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:12
Czech to German
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

Hello,

this is not (yet?) a problem to be solved but I'd like to hear whether anybody of you has already tried MemoQ. One of my agencies sent me the link to http://www.kilgray.com/kilgray/, saying that they would like to have their translators work with it in the future (maybe they're linked with the developer in some way, I don't know) and would welcome our comments.
I've never heard
... See more
Hello,

this is not (yet?) a problem to be solved but I'd like to hear whether anybody of you has already tried MemoQ. One of my agencies sent me the link to http://www.kilgray.com/kilgray/, saying that they would like to have their translators work with it in the future (maybe they're linked with the developer in some way, I don't know) and would welcome our comments.
I've never heard of it before and, searching proz.com, only found three postings in the Hungarian forum which I don't understand...

Charlotte
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tried it Jul 21, 2006

Hello Charlotte,

I tested MemoQ on a recent project (around 100 files of 50-60 segments each).

The first problem I encountered is the time it takes to extract the segments from each source file. With my 100 files it took one to two hours to extract all the text. One file was corrupted, and MemoQ simply aborted somehwere in the middle of the conversion process. I had to locate the file manually and re-run the conversion process... very time-consuming, but I guess you wi
... See more
Hello Charlotte,

I tested MemoQ on a recent project (around 100 files of 50-60 segments each).

The first problem I encountered is the time it takes to extract the segments from each source file. With my 100 files it took one to two hours to extract all the text. One file was corrupted, and MemoQ simply aborted somehwere in the middle of the conversion process. I had to locate the file manually and re-run the conversion process... very time-consuming, but I guess you will encounter such things with other CAT tools too.

Otherwise, it reminded me of DejaVu and SDLX as it uses the same method: present source and target in a two-column table next to each other. During the translation process, I encountered that MemoQ displayed a couple of strange segments (it seemed that some segments were duplicated, in other files a couple of segments seemed to be missing). When I did my last check-up to verify all segments and export to target, I found out that these segments were in fact wrongly displayed, and that they were not verified in the first step. I had to manually verify each project, which I found to be somewhat tedious.

It is a very new tool and there is probably some room for improvement, but in general it seems to be okay. I am not quite sure how they want to establish themselves on the market, as the tool itself shows a lot of similarity to DV and SDLX, as mentioned above.

I believe that they offer a free version which allows users to work on projects created with one of the pro versions. If your client can create a satellite project (or whathever they call it), then you should be able to work with the free version without the need to buy a licence.

HTH.

Sonja
Collapse

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
All feedback appreciated Jul 23, 2006

Hello Charlotte and Sonja,

I am one of the architects of MemoQ and I am very happy to see this discussion. Any feedback is interesting for us, so thanks for sharing.

Kilgray is an independent company, not linked to any language service provider. MemoQ's real market niche is the team translation solution, the solution has a powerful server that we are making even more powerful for MemoQ 1.1 (besides the ability of using a number of servers simultaneously, it will also in
... See more
Hello Charlotte and Sonja,

I am one of the architects of MemoQ and I am very happy to see this discussion. Any feedback is interesting for us, so thanks for sharing.

Kilgray is an independent company, not linked to any language service provider. MemoQ's real market niche is the team translation solution, the solution has a powerful server that we are making even more powerful for MemoQ 1.1 (besides the ability of using a number of servers simultaneously, it will also incorporate communication between translators - you will automatically get an interface to start a project forum, it will enable the offline synchronisation of resources for translators who are not always connected to the internet, it will have a term approval workflow incorporated, it will have team projects where everyone can see all files but you can only edit files assigned to you, and obviously things like privilege management and others). Probably the translation company asking to use the tool was impressed by this, because the price is very attractive, if you buy a server and at least five licenses, it's even cheaper than buying five licenses stand-alone. This is where we position ourselves, even if the downloadable trial version does not contain the server. (Feel free to ask for it if you want to test it.) We want to lower the bar for taking advantage of collaboration.

It's true that MemoQ is a brand new tool on the market and it is constantly improving so if you happen to encounter a file that does not import/export well please send it to me or any of my colleagues at support a-t kilgray.com - sorry, spam prevention is required Sonja, I'd really appreciate if you could send me the file that brought MemoQ to a halt. Even if the file was corrupted, we could build in some error prevention. Also, a more detailed description of the strange segments would be welcome (or if you can specify the format - there were some deficiencies in the TTX filter we recently corrected).

MemoQ is now heading towards the second major release, it is in alpha phase yet. Besides the server improvements above, it will contain a faster RTF filter, a brand new XML and MIF filter, SRX compatibility and the first add-in we release, a QA module. The release is expected in September 2006, and updating from the current version will be free of charge. We think that buying the tool is a commitment, and we should be likewise committed to our users and offer free updates. The QA module will be an add-in, and add-ins cost some money because they provide extra functionality. Also, MemoQ 1.1 will contain an improved user interface, with the possibility to perform batch functions on multiple (but not all) files in the project.

Well, before making this a marketing statement - which I'd really like to avoid - just one more addition. Unlike in the case of other tools, the free version is not a satellite version. It is fully functional, the thing is that you cannot recycle former translations, i.e. you cannot add existing TMs to a project. So it helps you to save on the internal repetitions/similarities within the text, and it gives you an environment to edit any file format MemoQ handles. It's targeted towards users 1. who have never used a TM tool before, 2. who don't translate so much that they should make an investment into an expensive (or at least not free) tool, 3. who want to learn how to use MemoQ without any commitment and decide later if they want to upgrade to a fully featured version. Companies that buy the LSP5 or Enterprise editions are free to give translators a so-called mobile license, one that they can give and revoke at any time - while you have it, MemoQ is fully functional. So you can use any version stand-alone, even the freeware one.

Anyways, feedback is more than welcome so if you give it a test drive, please don't hesitate to tell me your impressions, what you like and dislike, and what else would you like to see in the tool.

Istvan

(Btw I'll be out of reach until Thursday so please don't expect a quick answer.)
Collapse

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MemoQ 2.0 released Jan 23, 2007

Hi,

I just thought I would let you know that MemoQ 2.0 is now released. If you're interested, you can download it from www.kilgray.com. The features are also listed there, please have a look - after all, this is a forum not a space for advertisement.

Regards,
Istvan

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Version 2 improvements Feb 6, 2007

Version 2 looks to be much improved.
Compact download and easy installation.
I tried importing 30 Word files each about a page long and it took under 2 minutes.
The text is shown in wysiwyg (bold, italic, underline) with very few formatting codes (unlike most (all ?) other programs of this type). All extraneous formatting (paragraph numbers, bullets, etc.) is filtered out.
The project interface is compact, easy to understand and with no frills.
Terms can be added ea
... See more
Version 2 looks to be much improved.
Compact download and easy installation.
I tried importing 30 Word files each about a page long and it took under 2 minutes.
The text is shown in wysiwyg (bold, italic, underline) with very few formatting codes (unlike most (all ?) other programs of this type). All extraneous formatting (paragraph numbers, bullets, etc.) is filtered out.
The project interface is compact, easy to understand and with no frills.
Terms can be added easily (control+Q) and appear immediately in the Translation results pane on the right and are also highlighted in the target grid. When you move the mouse over the target text, the translations of the terms also appear as a tooltip.
Translation memory portions can be assembled automatically, i.e. if you have the following portions in TM:
the older I grow,
the more I distrust
the familiar doctrine
that age brings wisdom

they are assembled automatically as:
the older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom

Translation memories and term bases can be opened and edited from the same interface.
It has a good aligner with the alignment resynchronizing after a misalignment.
Supports Word, Excel, Powerpoint, RTF, html, mif, txt, xml and Trados bilingual (TTX).
All in all, a pretty good little program as far as I can judge.

David Turner
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
MemoQ yahoo user group Feb 20, 2007

MemoQ really sound like they mean business. A yahoo user group was set up recently and the architects of the program make regular contributions to discuss wishlists and outline their development roadmap. You can join the group or just freely consult the messages.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ2/

Regards,

David Turner

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
new yahoogroup address, version 3.0 Oct 31, 2008

Dear All,

MemoQ 3.0 has been available for a while now with many new features, and the trial version is available at www.kilgray.com for everyone interested.

Also, the Yahoo group address has changed slightly:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ/

Best Regards,
... See more
Dear All,

MemoQ 3.0 has been available for a while now with many new features, and the trial version is available at www.kilgray.com for everyone interested.

Also, the Yahoo group address has changed slightly:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ/

Best Regards,
Gergely Vandor
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Testing MemoQ Nov 1, 2008

Hi all,
I've been testing MemoQ for a couple of weeks now and the result is: very satisfying.
Generally, I don't like project wizards, but that's a matter of personal preference. Otherwise, MemoQ was able to handle even the most difficult and poorly prepaired files with extreme ease compared to e.g. Trados.

As soon as any translation agency wants me to work in MemoQ on a project large enough for me to buy the SW, I am going to buy it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience with MemoQ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »