Thread poster: Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

I've downloaded a trial version of MetaTexis from the official page yesterday to play with it a bit, and I liked it a lot - I was actually considering a purchase, but unfortunately encountered an issue that made me reconsider.

It seems that 99% Excel files I try to import (half of my work, or more, comes as Excel files) result in some sort of error - my word window closes without any messages, and the only sign that MetaTexis was even working is the [filename](Metatexis).xls file b
... See more
I've downloaded a trial version of MetaTexis from the official page yesterday to play with it a bit, and I liked it a lot - I was actually considering a purchase, but unfortunately encountered an issue that made me reconsider.

It seems that 99% Excel files I try to import (half of my work, or more, comes as Excel files) result in some sort of error - my word window closes without any messages, and the only sign that MetaTexis was even working is the [filename](Metatexis).xls file being created - nothing more happens.

Information about my system:
Windows: XP Pro, Japanese version, Service Pack 2
Word: 2002 SP3
MetaTexis: version 2.945, Word 2002/XP version

Detailed description of the problem:

When trying to import an Excel file, first, a window pops up to say that I'm using a trial version of MetaTexis. I press "OK" and select the file to import. The file opens in the background and the "Processing text elements in Excel file" window appears, with numbers going up. As soon as all elements are counted, both Word and Excel suddenly close without warning and I'm left only with the Excel Metatexis file created in the directory of the original one. I tried it on files with both Japanese and English contents, with filenames being both in pure ASCII and Japanese. Also, tried both files with images/fancy formatting in them and just "clean" Excel spreadsheets. I was only able to successfully import one Excel file out of about 20 that I tried before giving up. For obvious reasons, I can't provide the files in question, but I also tried it on a couple of random files I found using Google - the search I tried was "specifications filetype:xls" - the results were identical.

The interesting thing is, I also tried it on my home computer - English XP Home SP3 with Office 2007 (using MetaTexis for Word 2003/2007) - the results are either identical, or Word hangs during the "Processing text elements" phase and needs to be closed manually (which never happened in Word 2002).

Is there some sort of logging mechanism that would let me see why (or at least on what stage) the crashes occur? Did anyone have similar problems? I searched the Yahoo support group, but couldn't find any hints. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:58
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
No problems here Aug 5, 2008

I understand I am of no help with this post, but I just tried 4 Excel files that were lying around and all of them were imported without any problems. 1 of them has been created by me, the other 3 have been downloaded from the internet some time ago. My system - Office 2000 SP-3, MetaTexis 2.945 trial.
A very wild guess - probably the only thing in common on both computers are some spell checkers, e. g. Japanese. Could you try disabling them or temporarily uninstalling them?

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:58
English to German
+ ...
It works for me Aug 5, 2008

Hi Krzysztof,

I've just tried this for the first time. I have XP SP2 and Office Prof 2000. I opened a new Word document and imported the Exel file using the icon "Import Excel file". Then I translated a few words, cleaned the document and made a final version. Now I have both a Word and an Exel file.

As I have a different configuration, this maybe won't help you. You could write to [email protected].
... See more
Hi Krzysztof,

I've just tried this for the first time. I have XP SP2 and Office Prof 2000. I opened a new Word document and imported the Exel file using the icon "Import Excel file". Then I translated a few words, cleaned the document and made a final version. Now I have both a Word and an Exel file.

As I have a different configuration, this maybe won't help you. You could write to [email protected].

Good luck!

Christa
Collapse

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
*sigh* Aug 5, 2008

Haha, the answers I was most afraid of - the dreaded "works fine here" strikes again

Oh well, I was hoping some other people had similar issues and maybe some possible solutions (by the way, thanks for your suggestion bsb-2, but that's not it - I have no other addons installed in Word, only standard components, and disabling the built-in Japanese spell-checker didn't work), but it seems like send an email to the suppor
... See more
Haha, the answers I was most afraid of - the dreaded "works fine here" strikes again

Oh well, I was hoping some other people had similar issues and maybe some possible solutions (by the way, thanks for your suggestion bsb-2, but that's not it - I have no other addons installed in Word, only standard components, and disabling the built-in Japanese spell-checker didn't work), but it seems like send an email to the support address anyway.

Thank you for checking and confirming that the problem is on my side though!
Collapse

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 03:58
English to French
Switch to MySQL database type Jan 29, 2011

Hello,

Hermann Bruns recommended me to use the MySQL type of database, not the MS Access one. It's quite simple to switch to another database type under Meta Texis (check the user guide or google or Proz.com forums)

Maybe that's the cause of the crashes?

Good day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MetaTexis Excel files import problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »