Trados files and TM in Metatexis - any tips?
Thread poster: Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:22
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2008

A client has agreed that I can try working on Trados files (one xml file and a plain word doc) and Trados TM ( tmx) with Metatexis, my preferred CAt software. I have never worked with Trados files before and I obviously really want it to go well.

So far I have managed to open the xml doc fine, I also used the Trados TM for pre-translation with no problems. But I do have a problem with the Trados TM - I can't seem to get it "attached" to my translation file now, and I wasn't able to
... See more
A client has agreed that I can try working on Trados files (one xml file and a plain word doc) and Trados TM ( tmx) with Metatexis, my preferred CAt software. I have never worked with Trados files before and I obviously really want it to go well.

So far I have managed to open the xml doc fine, I also used the Trados TM for pre-translation with no problems. But I do have a problem with the Trados TM - I can't seem to get it "attached" to my translation file now, and I wasn't able to save the TUs in the Trados TM so I had to create a new TM instead - not what I envisioned. I am about to start work on the Word file.

Any tips or hints regarding Trados files and TMs in Metatexis? The Metatexis manual is quite brief on this subject and I think I have abused the kindness of Mr. Bruns too much already
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
English to German
MetaTexis cannot read native TRADOS TMs Aug 6, 2008

Hi Ivana,

MetaTexis cannot read native TRADOS TMs. A TRADOS TM must first be exported to a format that can be imported by MetaTexis (text for TMX). So, you have to ask your client for the exported TM. This you can import in your TM.

How this works you can see in one of the presentation available on the support page of the MetaTexis homepage.

Cheers
Hermann

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:22
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Herman! Aug 6, 2008

Thank you very much for responding so fast!

I did just find your very useful presentation on your site - I am going through it at the moment.

I was a bit quick to ask I guess

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados files and TM in Metatexis - any tips?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »