Thread poster: Mohammad Mansoor
Mohammad Mansoor
Mohammad Mansoor
India
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2018

Hello seniors,

I have one doubt in calculation of Word Count to send the quotation to one of my clients on /word basis

It's a document of multiple choice questions and for some questions, their options repeat.

Say for example:
1. Which is the national sport of India?
a. Hockey; b. Cricket; c. Tennis; d. Boxing

2. Which sport of below is not a part of Olympic Games

So sha
... See more
Hello seniors,

I have one doubt in calculation of Word Count to send the quotation to one of my clients on /word basis

It's a document of multiple choice questions and for some questions, their options repeat.

Say for example:
1. Which is the national sport of India?

2. Which sport of below is not a part of Olympic Games

So shall I count the repeated words and send them quotation?

Please advise

Thanks,
Mansoor
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Suggestion Apr 17, 2018

Is it possible to convert the document into Word, delete the repetitions, and then do a word count?

If that isn't possible I would try to estimate how many repetitions there are and lower your ultimate quote accordingly. In that case I would tell the client that you did it that way.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:18
English to Italian
CAT tool? Apr 17, 2018

Are you using a CAT tool? If so, then just run an analysis and you'll get the number of repetitions (and fuzzy matches), if not, then you're not going to get any speed increase by those repetitions while translating, so why would you even consider giving discounts?

Actually, if your client didn't specifically ask for "discounts" on reps/fuzzies, then why bring it up yourself?

Mohammad Mansoor
Mohammad Mansoor
India
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 18, 2018

Thanks a lot Seniors

I will do the same

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Will it take extra time? Apr 18, 2018

Mohammad Mansoor wrote:
So shall I count the repeated words and send them quotation?

Will it take extra time for you to type those words, even if you've translated them previously? If so, then you have to charge for them. It is up to you to decide if you want to charge the full rate for them.

Mohammad Mansoor
Mohammad Mansoor
India
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Brother, it won't take extra time Apr 18, 2018

It wont take extra time but have to check word by word to make sure that its get repeated and copy paste the same.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Manual checking needed - no discounts Apr 23, 2018

Mohammad Mansoor wrote:

It wont take extra time but have to check word by word to make sure that its get repeated and copy paste the same.

And that is why, Brother, CAT-tools were invented and used - because doing that manual checking takes time and it is error-prone. Not mentioning the fact that if you decide to modify the translation while working on the project, you have to remember to modify it everywhere... Therefore, if you don't use a CAT-tool, there is no reason for any discount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have doubts in sending quotation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »