Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Your favourite films for the last year?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dialogue avec mon jardinier Apr 4, 2009

In my country it was called "El jardinero". Daniel Auteuil and Jean-Pierre Darroussin.

I've just persuaded my husband to see Gran Torino tonight: my thanks to Maaike and Kristina for the tip, and also to Eleni for this thread.

Enjoy your weekend, everybody.

Lucía

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mamma Mia & Sex and the city Apr 4, 2009

Without a doubt

Mamma mia
Sex and the city

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The Band's Visit Apr 4, 2009

I saw the DVD of this film not too long ago and really loved it. It's an Israeli film by young director Eran Kolirin and is the story of an Egyptian police band that arrives in the wrong Israeli town. Very low key with a Jim Jarmuschy feeling, it's both funny and poignant, and very hip.

Oh, I also Liked the Sex and the City film, being a huge fan of that TV show. I wish they would make one every year.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Apr 4, 2009

Wall-e

Andrea

Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
United States
Local time: 23:41
English to Danish
Yes, Wall-e! And Baby Mama Apr 5, 2009

ariffo wrote:

Wall-e

Andrea

Wonderful movie. I watched it on the airplane going from Denmark back to the States.

Baby Mama with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler was great too! I just watched it on cable again.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 21:41
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Wall-E Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah, Wall-E was loads of fun...in fact, they had a huge setup on the facade of the El Capitan Theatre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Capitan_Theatre) in Hollywood for it.

[Edited at 2009-04-05 03:15 GMT]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
mine Apr 5, 2009

Another vote for Wall-E! I love all the Pixar movies.

I liked "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith directed by Muccino (who directed Smith in "The Pursuit of Happiness")

I watched "Milk" recently but I found it just ok, Sean Penn is good though.

I loved "Iron Man" and "Batman: The Dark Night" (I think Heath Ledger's role as Joker fit him like a glove and that the Academy Award as supporting actor was deserved).

I'm intrigued by "The Wrestler"... uhm.
... See more
Another vote for Wall-E! I love all the Pixar movies.

I liked "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith directed by Muccino (who directed Smith in "The Pursuit of Happiness")

I watched "Milk" recently but I found it just ok, Sean Penn is good though.

I loved "Iron Man" and "Batman: The Dark Night" (I think Heath Ledger's role as Joker fit him like a glove and that the Academy Award as supporting actor was deserved).

I'm intrigued by "The Wrestler"... uhm.. I'm not a huge Mikey Rourke fan, but after years in the shadow, this was the movie that put Rourke back into the spotlight (sort of Phoenix rising from his own ashes... ) and he's supposed to be pretty good in the part (considering that he won the SAG awards and the Brit Oscars for it, if I'm not wrong, and he was neck to neck with Penn for the Oscar for leading actor).

Won't watch "Slumdog" though... not much into Bollywood movies, I'm afraid...
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
OT: film adaptations of movies Apr 5, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

ICL wrote:
The Kite Runner (I did not read the book, so I cannot really tell if the movie is well adapted, but I really liked it.)

The movie is a pale reflection of the book! (I listened to the book as an audio-book on some long car rides a couple of years ago, and it is quite an astounding piece of work. What's left in the movie is basically "the plot."

Susan

Susan, thanks for the tip about the book (and I also like audiobooks!). A friend had also told me the "Kite Runner" book is excellent, so I guess I made the mistake of not reading it before watching the movie, so now it'll be hard for me to read the book, since I know what the plot is. (I prefer to read books whose plot I don't know, but somehow when it comes to watching movies based on books I have read, it does not seem to bother me as much.)

I guess it is always hard to convey through a film script all the depth of a book, so I am not surprised. I felt the same disappointment about, for example, "The Perfume".

But in defense of all those scriptwriters who probably work very hard to make film adaptations, sometimes you do get some nice results. For example, I watched a few months ago "Love in the Time of Cholera" and, although the book is also excellent, I found the movie version a rather pleasant surprise. I have also heard/read that the film version of "Atonement" is quite good, too (in this case I also did not read the book before watching the movie).

Sometimes movies manage to create in a rather poetic way, through images or sound, what is sometimes hard to perceive/imagine when you read. I also love watching characters merely depicted with words become full-fleshed characters in movies.

I guess in my case I love books and films just as much, so there is just not enough time to do all you wish to read and see in 24 hours/365 days a year, right?

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:41
English to Croatian
+ ...
My Top 10 Apr 5, 2009

1. Gran Torino
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A
6. N/A
7. N/A
8. N/A
9. N/A
10. The Dark Knight (Heath Ledger stepped into a legend)

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jab We Met Apr 5, 2009

Shahid-Kareen chemistry is astonishing in this film. One of the best bollywood film I have ever seen.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not limited to last year, but every movie here is guaranteed to be worth watching. Apr 5, 2009

~ A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater, 2006)
~ Black Snake Moan (Craig Brewer, 2006)
~ Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch, 2005)
~ Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
~ Repo Man (Alex Cox, 1984)
~ Андре́й Рублёв (Andrei Rublev) (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
~ Solyaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
~ The Fifth Element (Luc Besson, 1997)
~ The Libertine (Laurence Dunmore, 2004)
~ True Romance (Tony Scott, 1993)
~ The Life Aquatic with Steve Zis
... See more
~ A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater, 2006)
~ Black Snake Moan (Craig Brewer, 2006)
~ Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch, 2005)
~ Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
~ Repo Man (Alex Cox, 1984)
~ Андре́й Рублёв (Andrei Rublev) (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
~ Solyaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
~ The Fifth Element (Luc Besson, 1997)
~ The Libertine (Laurence Dunmore, 2004)
~ True Romance (Tony Scott, 1993)
~ The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Wes Anderson, 2004)
~ The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson, 2007)
~ .45 (Gary Lennon, 2006)
~ El Topo (The Mole) (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970)
~ De Noorderlingen (Alex Van Warmerdam, 1992)
~ Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
~ Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
~ Nil by Mouth (Gary Oldman,1997)
~ Death Proof (Quentin Tarantino, 2007)
~ Bitter Moon (Roman Polanski, 1992)
~ 2001 - A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
~ Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
~ Woyzeck (Werner Herzog, 1979)
~ Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)
~ Alpha Dog (Nick Cassavetes, 2006)
~ Cyborg Girl (Jae-young Kwak, 2008)
~ Forbidden Planet (Fred M. Wilcox, 1956)
~ Michael Clayton (Tony Gilroy, 2007)
~ Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme, 2008)
~ RocknRolla (Guy Ritchie, 2008)
~ Syriana (Stephen Gaghan, 2005)
~ The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)
~ The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937)
~ There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
~ Thirteen (Catherine Hardwicke, 2003)
~ Youth Without Youth (Francis Ford Coppola, 2007)
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 06:41
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So many people... Apr 5, 2009

... here liked Wall-E! I have to see it right away!

Also, quite a few colleagues liked Gran Torino.

Michael, what a list! I must admit that I have only seen two or three of these films. I couldn't non admire Johnny Depp in the Libertine, among other films...

Has anybody seen The Wave (Die Welle)? I was really struck by it. I couldn't believe how it could totally reverse my feelings in the end!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Heh Apr 5, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
So many people here liked Wall-E! I have to see it right away!

I am a huge pixar fan and absolutely adored Wall-e. It surprised me a little that nobody had mentioned it yet. I even got in line with the kiddies who were waiting to have their picture taken with the huge Wall-e scale-model at the cinema!

Also, kudos to Presto!, the short film featured before Wall-e. I swear, my jaw hurt from laughing so hard at the cinema, and I was giggling for days after watching it.:D:D

(Still, Monsters Inc. remains my number 1 pixar film)

I was also pleasently surprised with Ironman. I went to see it rather reluctantly at my SO's insistence to go with him, and ended up enjoying myself immensely.

Greetings

Andrea

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Il y a longtemps que je t'aime Apr 6, 2009

French original with English subtitles [I've Loved You So Long], directed by Philippe Claudel.
I just watched it on the plane returning from Europe - surely one of the best films I've seen in a long time!

Cheers,
johanna

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
My picks from the last 2 years Apr 6, 2009

Not all from last year, but my favorite recent films:

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
Be Kind Rewind
The Darjeeling Limited
Grizzly Man

I loved "Vicky Christina Barcelona" and have to disagree with the suggestion that it was the worst film ever to win an Oscar. That prize has to go to "No Country for Old Men"... a true Snore-fest as they say in Germany.

I am sure that I could come up with a much longer list if I tried... A friend i
... See more
Not all from last year, but my favorite recent films:

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
Be Kind Rewind
The Darjeeling Limited
Grizzly Man

I loved "Vicky Christina Barcelona" and have to disagree with the suggestion that it was the worst film ever to win an Oscar. That prize has to go to "No Country for Old Men"... a true Snore-fest as they say in Germany.

I am sure that I could come up with a much longer list if I tried... A friend in Hamburg has actually kept a list of all the films she has watched over the past decade or so. Every year I tell myself that I must start doing the same..

[Edited at 2009-04-06 02:08 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favourite films for the last year?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »