Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Your favourite films for the last year?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 15:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 4, 2009

Hello,

At the poll forum (about hobbies) someone said that they had missed topics that peeped into prozians' hearts. Well, let's continue, if you like!

What films did you see in 2008 (and 2009 so far) which took a grip of your heart? I liked "Slumdog Millionnaire". Also, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" was a good film, even though I am not a big fan of Woody's.

How about you?

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
English to Italian
The Changeling Apr 4, 2009

is definetely one of the best movies of the past year. Clint is great, long live to Clint

Marianna Tucci
Marianna Tucci  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
my favourite films Apr 4, 2009

I liked "Sex and the city" (I also bought the Tour Eiffel bag held by Sarah Jessica Parker in the movie) and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (I cried, it was so touching)

herry zuk (X)

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changeling Apr 4, 2009

Ah, yes, I liked that, too! It had a very strong and solid topic - and what an Angelina! At moments, I expected her to burst out all her feelings and start breaking things, or something - it nearly happened at one scene, I think!

Long live Clint, yes!

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 06:11
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz Apr 4, 2009

It's from 1980, but I saw it this year!

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Talking about Clint.. Apr 4, 2009

.. a couple of weeks ago I saw Gran Torino. Loved it!!! Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in the past years. Very funny, very sad, it really touched me.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cool idea, Eleni Apr 4, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
At the poll forum (about hobbies) someone said that they had missed topics that peeped into prozians' hearts. Well, let's continue, if you like!

At home we are cinephiles and lately we are addicted to our street's DVD rental store (we tried to stop buying DVDs because it was getting too expensive), so we watch at least 2 movies per week, besides the ones we get by our satellite/cable private TV suscription.

So some of the ones that have impressed me the most lately (which are not recently released, but just whose DVD I rented):

The World's Fastest Indian (If you click on the movie title you will access an interview of Anthony Hopkins, who plays the main role. A really inspiring true story.)

The Kite Runner (I did not read the book, so I cannot really tell if the movie is well adapted, but I really liked it.)

Mamma Mia (I'm both an ABBA and Meryl Streep fan, so I really enjoyed this fairy-tale musical.)

I could add so many more, but gotta leave do some supermarket shopping...

Enjoy the weekend!,

Ivette

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
LOL Apr 4, 2009

I watched LOL (french movie with Sophie Marceau) with my 15 year old son and my 10 year old daughter: it was hilarious and all too true!!

As Ivette, I liked "Mamma Mia" as well - lots of memories coming back with all these ABBA songs, and a beautiful scenery in Greece. A nice musical film to just relax and enjoy.

Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

my favourite ones from 2008... Apr 4, 2009

Action films: Wanted, RocknRolla, Body Of Lies, Pride And Glory, Street Kings.
Tear-inducing dramas: Seven Pounds, Elegy.
Other: Burn After Reading, Revolutionary Road, In Bruges, Mamma Mia!, Gran Torino, The Bucket List (2007), No Country for Old Men (2007), Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Films for kiddies I liked for unknown reason: 21, Jumper, Hancock, Eagle Eye, Max Payne, Iron Man, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And the title of My Biggest Dis
... See more
Action films: Wanted, RocknRolla, Body Of Lies, Pride And Glory, Street Kings.
Tear-inducing dramas: Seven Pounds, Elegy.
Other: Burn After Reading, Revolutionary Road, In Bruges, Mamma Mia!, Gran Torino, The Bucket List (2007), No Country for Old Men (2007), Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Films for kiddies I liked for unknown reason: 21, Jumper, Hancock, Eagle Eye, Max Payne, Iron Man, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And the title of My Biggest Disappointment of The Year goes to... Quantum Of Solace!:)

Cheers and have a great Saturday night!
K.

---Updated to add few films.---

[Edited at 2009-04-04 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Happy-Go-Lucky Apr 4, 2009

It's my favourite film from 2008 - a British comedy, very positive, I love it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1045670/

With best wishes,
Ann

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:11
Russian to English
+ ...
Kite Runner Apr 4, 2009

ICL wrote:
The Kite Runner (I did not read the book, so I cannot really tell if the movie is well adapted, but I really liked it.)

The movie is a pale reflection of the book! (I listened to the book as an audio-book on some long car rides a couple of years ago, and it is quite an astounding piece of work. What's left in the movie is basically "the plot."

Susan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Three monkeys (Turkey) Apr 4, 2009

We saw this film last year on the Helsinki Festival and it was also Turkey's nominee for best non-English language picture 2008. We were stunned. This is a real piece of art, not a single frame too much or too little. I'd love to view it again.

I've seen most of the blockbusters mentioned here like Gran Torino, Changeling, Slumdog, but would not spend money for viewing them a second time. Vicky Christina was nice though, thanks to Penelope Cruiz and Javier Bardem.

nuray ayhan

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I nearly forgot Apr 4, 2009

I absolutely loved Mamma mia, Happy-go-lucky and Seven pounds, too.

I also saw two older films that I consider two of my best ever: Atonement with Keira Knightly and James McAvoy, and Young Adam with Ewan MacGregor.

Also, yesterday I watched a Spanish film, The night of the sunflowers, and I recommend it!

As for the Kite runner and Seven monkeys, they are first on my to-watch list!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same Apr 4, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Hello,

What films did you see in 2008 (and 2009 so far) which took a grip of your heart? I liked "Slumdog Millionnaire".

Me too, that's just an example of Asia cinema, far from us but pure quality.
I'd prefered to hear hindi rather than India english but, generally, it was thrilling from the very beginnning depicting some aspects of life in India. Good music.

Also, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" was a good film, even though I am not a big fan of Woody's.

How about you?

Yes, Woody Allen rocks. Unfortunately he's not admired in his own country as he's in other continents.

When I was watching the movie, my mind was focused on Mexican artists Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo and Frida's sister. They were alike.

David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
Maria Larssons eviga ögonblick Apr 4, 2009

Swedish film ("Maria Larsson's Eternal Moments") about a young woman living in poverty in early 1900s Sweden who wins a camera in a competition. A film about how providence can change our lives, a film with great warmth and humour. Also a reminder that the majority of people in Western Europe lived very hard lives until less than 100 years ago.

Also enjoyed "Atonement", partly because it was so faithful to a splendid book.

Not to forget, "Man on Wire", fabulous docume
... See more
Swedish film ("Maria Larsson's Eternal Moments") about a young woman living in poverty in early 1900s Sweden who wins a camera in a competition. A film about how providence can change our lives, a film with great warmth and humour. Also a reminder that the majority of people in Western Europe lived very hard lives until less than 100 years ago.

Also enjoyed "Atonement", partly because it was so faithful to a splendid book.

Not to forget, "Man on Wire", fabulous documentary about Philippe Petit, a crazy, inspirational Frenchman who walked a tightrope between the Twin Towers in the 1970s (he was actually out there on it for over 40 minutes!). A film about following your dreams, no matter how crazy they may seem. A must-see.

"Vicky Christina Barcelona" is my choice for the worst film ever to get an Oscar nomination - sorry, but I think it's so over-rated.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favourite films for the last year?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »