Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:44
Danish to English
you know Apr 25, 2010

Hi Jenny
It was not you I was thinking about. You pointed out the problem in the first place, and we all make errors and typos. But a lot of people do not know that there is a difference. My most common typo is "Dainsh", and it drives me crazy.

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Another vote for the thing those bureaucrats do Apr 26, 2010

I don't think I have managed to spell bureaucracy correctly (without looking it up/Googling it) since I was in school (it sounds like it must have an "o" in it!).

Although answering this thread may have actually just let me develop my "cheat": For some reason I didn't actually have a problem typing bureaucrat (and I don't generally have a problem with bureau)... so from now on, I'll concentrate only on the root word while I'm typing it out - and no "o"!... See more
I don't think I have managed to spell bureaucracy correctly (without looking it up/Googling it) since I was in school (it sounds like it must have an "o" in it!).

Although answering this thread may have actually just let me develop my "cheat": For some reason I didn't actually have a problem typing bureaucrat (and I don't generally have a problem with bureau)... so from now on, I'll concentrate only on the root word while I'm typing it out - and no "o"!

Yay, thanks to this thread, I may have beat my one big spelling demon!
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Spelling Apr 26, 2010

I have always been a good speller, and I remember that at school I was the only one who could spell "neighbour" correctly.

My problem is usually with unusual words like "homoeopathy" and "phthisic" (or is it "phthysic"?)

One word I never spell right is LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH. I always miss out the first R in the CHWYRNDROBWLL part.

If you want to know what it means, check
... See more
I have always been a good speller, and I remember that at school I was the only one who could spell "neighbour" correctly.

My problem is usually with unusual words like "homoeopathy" and "phthisic" (or is it "phthysic"?)

One word I never spell right is LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH. I always miss out the first R in the CHWYRNDROBWLL part.

If you want to know what it means, check it out at: http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/

If you want to have a go at saying it, there is a tutorial at:

http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/say.php
Collapse

Martyn Greenan
Martyn Greenan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
French to English
+ ...
Langwij bodi sez wee shood chainj Inglish speling Apr 26, 2010

http://tinyurl.com/y296mj4

Susan Nacey
Susan Nacey
Norway
Local time: 17:44
Norwegian to English
Etymology Apr 26, 2010

And the adjective etymological. I also inevitably pronounce them wrong: entomology and entomological.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
scheptical... Apr 27, 2010

or is it sceptical? (both sceptical and skeptical are correct)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too! Apr 29, 2010

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I can never remember the British spelling of "maneuver". I have to look it up every single time.

Amazing how often it actually turns up.

And hi, Fioan, greetings from Chrisitne

Brian's Dainsh is a new one - but I reglarly write Dansih... The language spoken in Demnark of course.

Why is it that whenever I am mailing to accept an offer of a proofreading job, my fingers go completely mad? I wonder if anyone would dare trust a proofreader who can´t even spell her own name?

I have the spell checker firmly ON for Danish mails, and do my best to check English myself, or compose them where there is a spell checker available, then paste them into the mail.

And BTW you can add things to AutoCorrect in Word (it doubles my typing speed effctively). Things like fo r, nad, teh, htan, hwne and many others miraculously sort themselves out as soon as you hit the space bar.

It also works with names - add the name as the correct version and a typable abbreviation as the trigger, and you then know the spelling is correct every time as you proofread. I have regular clients abbreviated as rc, cc and similar. It also saves hitting the CAPS LOCK by mistake....

I can actually spell, as long as I am allowed to write things with a pen or pencil. It´s these pesky machines that cause all the trouble.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Two of my favorites Apr 30, 2010

"Miniscule" gets 1.4 million hits on Google
"Dessicated" gets 214,000.

They're both misspellings.

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:44
Czech to English
+ ...
I know... Apr 30, 2010

Brian Young wrote:

Hi Jenny
It was not you I was thinking about. You pointed out the problem in the first place, and we all make errors and typos. But a lot of people do not know that there is a difference. My most common typo is "Dainsh", and it drives me crazy.

I realised that, Brian. I was just standing up for people like me who do it too!

PS Out of curiosity, do you ever type your name Brain?

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Czech to English
+ ...
One last thing... Apr 30, 2010

And then there was an unnamed Czech agency that offered poofreading on its website for far too long!

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
It's a rum do May 2, 2010

Sepllnig is vrey ipormtnat idened. Sewdsih is mcuh eieasr tahn Eignslh.

Did I get that right?

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Cmmonet May 2, 2010

Fwnilloog on form Grogee's cmmonet:

"Cna yuo raed tihs? if yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulatcly uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll r
... See more
Fwnilloog on form Grogee's cmmonet:

"Cna yuo raed tihs? if yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulatcly uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
Collapse

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
lieutenant, liaison May 2, 2010

I had to look them up.

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:44
Danish to English
Brain? May 3, 2010

Hi Jenny
No, I don't, but a lot of people do spell my name that way. I either take it as a subconscious complement, or just ignore it.

pawl
thaenks fohr teh inturseteen lethur. ue shhud bie kahrfuwl nought tue riet ihn taeht wae tuh ofun, bekuhz it iz varee adicktuve. i haev uh frend hue lieks tue wriht thaet wae ut, nad ti kahn etg vahree tihren aftur uhwile. Bhut yue ahr vere gud aht ti. Y cn ls wt lmst nythng wtht vwls. Thy r rlly jst wst f spc.

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Apr 1, 2013

Paul,

I have created my own tutorial on the subject, using humour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7EtbSeobcM. It is basically for children but adults may find it interesting. A native Welsh speaker I know seemed to like it, it sort of gives me hope.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words you can never spell

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »