Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Het Apr 1, 2013

The Dutch word for `the `is `het` (or "de" depending on the subject).

Sometimes it seems that my fingers have their own will....they refuse to type what I want! When spellchecking I have to look very carefully, because my spellchecker accepts the as a normal used word in Dutch. Got to get that out somehow though.

And basically all words involving double ll, tt etc. I get confused and have to look them up.

Using my cellphone to type is even harder...my boy
... See more
The Dutch word for `the `is `het` (or "de" depending on the subject).

Sometimes it seems that my fingers have their own will....they refuse to type what I want! When spellchecking I have to look very carefully, because my spellchecker accepts the as a normal used word in Dutch. Got to get that out somehow though.

And basically all words involving double ll, tt etc. I get confused and have to look them up.

Using my cellphone to type is even harder...my boyfriend already accepted my thumbo's and sometimes it's a real puzzle to crack the code!
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:41
English to Polish
+ ...
Threshold May 11, 2013

It took me a while to believe 'threshold' had only one 'h'.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Words ending in ट and ठ May 11, 2013

I always need to look up a dictionary for words ending in ट, as I often mis-spell them with a ठ. Examples: विशिष्ट, चेष्टा, प्रकोष्ठ, etc.

I think only North Indian languages, Sanskrit, Hindi, Gujarati, etc. have the full set of ट letters - ट, ठ, ड, ढ. To further complicate the spelling, the last two ड and ढ have two pronunciations indicated by ड़ and ढ़.

Due to all this, words containing ट and ठ are the most troublesome for me.

Martina Fink
Martina Fink  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:41
German to English
Bureaucracy May 11, 2013

"Bureaucracy" is one of mine. I feel better knowing that a few people have mentioned it already.

Fiona Peterson wrote:

I'm actually thinking of changing my name to Fioan, because that's what it normally comes out as when I'm in a hurry...

My one turns into "Martian".....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words you can never spell

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »