Off topic: Did Dale Carnegie commit suicide?
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Dec 20, 2003

Right from my young days I have been impressed by Dale Carnegie and his books "How to win friends and influence people", "Stop worrying and start living" etc.
Recently I heard that he committed suicide in 1955. I tried to search the google for more details but other than some obscure references to the suicide, I was not able to get anything concrete. There seems to be a conspiracy of silence, which makes it only worse. Agreed that it is quite embarassing to note that an author advocating p
... See more
Right from my young days I have been impressed by Dale Carnegie and his books "How to win friends and influence people", "Stop worrying and start living" etc.
Recently I heard that he committed suicide in 1955. I tried to search the google for more details but other than some obscure references to the suicide, I was not able to get anything concrete. There seems to be a conspiracy of silence, which makes it only worse. Agreed that it is quite embarassing to note that an author advocating positive thinking fell victim negative thoughts. But what is achieved by glossing over it?
This has nothing to do directly with translation but then we translators have to be vigilant and have positive thoughts. To that extent this topic is relevant.
Can my Proz colleagues throw more light on this point?
In the box for checking "Off topic", it is mentioned "more play than work". This is definitely no play but is a matter of life and death.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

aivars
aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Positive thoughts only for those who can't stand all kind of thoughts Dec 20, 2003

It's not necessarily contradictory that someone who spent his life advocating positive thoughts kills herself. In Argentina many cases of priests that are child abusers have just turned up, and I say this to make my point that it's a common human reflex to force yourself to be the opposite of what you desire.

Positive thoughts: I had a friend who was always preaching about the importance of positive thinking, and how through that your life would improve. But in the time I saw him hi
... See more
It's not necessarily contradictory that someone who spent his life advocating positive thoughts kills herself. In Argentina many cases of priests that are child abusers have just turned up, and I say this to make my point that it's a common human reflex to force yourself to be the opposite of what you desire.

Positive thoughts: I had a friend who was always preaching about the importance of positive thinking, and how through that your life would improve. But in the time I saw him his father had died, his brother was run by a bus, he was shot in a leg, he lost his job, his girlfriend dumped him..But he insisted on this positive thought thing no matter what.

It's a defense mechanism, very poor people lacking resources are sometimes incredibly positive in the way they see things. Some people if they really saw themselves for a second, would have to kill themselves on the spot.

There are lot of geniouses that were very negative, and some commited suicide. I don't see the point of that either.

Rather than forcing yourself to think positive all the time, I would suggest that you DO lovely or interesting things for you and others.

[Edited at 2003-12-20 04:19]

[Edited at 2003-12-21 15:36]

[Edited at 2003-12-21 15:36]
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seeing and doing Dec 20, 2003

aivars wrote:
Rather than forcing yourself to think positive all the time, I would suggest that you DO lovely or interesting things for you and others.

I fully second this!

In my opinion, being able to see reality in the eye is better than forcing a rosy image into your mind, and doing something to improve the world is more important than any nice-looking philosophy.
Enrique

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
No way of really knowing Dec 20, 2003

Dale Carnegie may or may not have committed suicide. Take a look at this Times obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/1124.html

On the one hand it says that "he had been ill for some time", but given the time that the piece was published that could be a euphemism for what today we would call depression or chemical imbalance.
... See more
Dale Carnegie may or may not have committed suicide. Take a look at this Times obit:

On the one hand it says that "he had been ill for some time", but given the time that the piece was published that could be a euphemism for what today we would call depression or chemical imbalance. If he died today we would be given all the details, but that wasn't common practise in journalism 50 years ago. Family members had a sense of privacy and respect and probably wouldn't have talked about private family health matters.

I tend to think that it is probably Urban Legend that he committed suicide, after all, it makes such a nice, clever story...a renowned self-help expert kills himself.

Absent a time machine to go watch his final moments, I don't think anyone can say for sure whether his death was a suicide.
Collapse

herry zuk (X)

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
German to Italian
+ ...
my 2 cents Dec 20, 2003

two2tango wrote:

aivars wrote:

I fully second this!

In my opinion, being able to see reality in the eye is better than forcing a rosy image into your mind, and doing something to improve the world is more important than any nice-looking philosophy.
Enrique

100% right IMHO. By the way, Narasimhan, do you know the Italian saying "predicare bene e razzolare male"? That means not to practise what you preach. And someone says: "Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach".

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I heard this differently Dec 20, 2003

Quote: By the way, Narasimhan, do you know the Italian saying "predicare bene e razzolare male"? That means not to practise what you preach. And someone says: "Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach". [/quote]
Those who can write well create masterpieces. Those who cannot, become critics. And coming to our profession, I attended a translation seminar, where a person held forth long on the theory of translation with a lot of technical terms. My professor, who was sitting by my side
... See more
Quote: By the way, Narasimhan, do you know the Italian saying "predicare bene e razzolare male"? That means not to practise what you preach. And someone says: "Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach". [/quote]
Those who can write well create masterpieces. Those who cannot, become critics. And coming to our profession, I attended a translation seminar, where a person held forth long on the theory of translation with a lot of technical terms. My professor, who was sitting by my side remarked that those who can translate do so while others present such papers. Needless to say, the presenter of the paper was not doing much translation.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2003-12-20 11:11]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:58
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Even shorter definition Dec 20, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:
And someone says: "Those who can do, do; those who can't do, teach".

"Criticism is informing the author how I would have done it if I could"

Uldis

ELAN2011
ELAN2011
English to Malayalam
+ ...
The Truth about Dale Carnegie suicide rumour Jan 8, 2012

Hello All,

I am a new member here.
May I put in my two cents on this topic.
Please see this link:
www.selfdeveloping.blogspot.com/2012/01/truth-about-dale-carnegie.html

[Edited at 2012-01-08 07:08 GMT]
Thank you!

[Edited at 2012-01-08 07:11 GMT]

An Trinh
An Trinh  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:58
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Dale Carnegie audiobooks Feb 6, 2012

I admire Dale Carnegie and I have been searching his audiobooks. Anyone can help me with this?

kingdoorigma
kingdoorigma
Saudi Arabia
The answer is a big No !! Aug 13, 2019

Simply check the link below to understand how the suicide had been linked with Dale Carnegie name.

The link👇🏽👇🏽👇🏽

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97277891/irving-dart-tressler

Thanks

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:58
German to English
Not everything on the Internet is true Aug 14, 2019

From the start, the World Wide Web has been a cesspool of gossip, lies, rumors, allegations, slander, calumny and just plain nonsense. Due to the volume of such misinformation, serious fact checking in many cases is an almost impossible task.

herry zuk (X)
herry zuk (X)
United States
Russian to Polish
+ ...
agree Oct 19, 2020

Jason Roberts wrote:

On the one hand it says that "he had been ill for some time", but given the time that the piece was published that could be a euphemism for what today we would call depression or chemical imbalance. If he died today we would be given all the details, but that wasn't common practise in journalism 50 years ago. Family members had a sense of privacy and respect and probably wouldn't have talked about private family health matters.

I tend to think that it is probably Urban Legend that he committed suicide, after all, it makes such a nice, clever story...a renowned self-help expert kills himself.

Absent a time machine to go watch his final moments, I don't think anyone can say for sure whether his death was a suicide.

I really completely agree with you! it’s a pity, we don’t know the truth. but the main thing is not this, but the fact that the person has left. and now rests in peace

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did Dale Carnegie commit suicide?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »