Off topic: Article in UK Telegraph on trip in Brazil
Thread poster: Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:43
Portuguese to English
Jan 18, 2012

Folks, just wanted to share this (forgive my vanity, but I want to be a writer when I grow up!).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/9007072/Adventures-with-my-son-in-captivating-Brazil.html

Any comments welcome.

Cheers!

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:43
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Congratulations! Jan 19, 2012

Well done you for getting an article into the Telegraph! It made me want to get out and travel again myself.

Jane

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations (2) Jan 19, 2012

A great article and a wonderful trip; I'm sure Christopher will never forget this.

I'm curious as to how you organized that trip to the Lontra Pantanal because we've always been offered 15-20 days bus trips from our country (Uruguay) and we can't spare that much time.

Congratulations!

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
very nice article, Mark Jan 19, 2012

makes me want to head off right now

An Trinh
An Trinh  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Good article Feb 7, 2012

Congratulations! Look forward to more articles from you, especially about Vietnam.

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 09:43
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wonderful article about a wonderful country, but.... Feb 7, 2012

I fully agree with everything that has been written about the wonderful places that one can find in Brazil.

Nevertheless, having lived there for seven years, I cannot but be somewhat less enthousiastic when it comes to the people and to their attitude. If Brazilian population will not get the attitude problem they have towards foreigners under control, and will not get the security and corruption issues under control, I am afraid that the future does look rather grim for Brazil. As
... See more
I fully agree with everything that has been written about the wonderful places that one can find in Brazil.

Nevertheless, having lived there for seven years, I cannot but be somewhat less enthousiastic when it comes to the people and to their attitude. If Brazilian population will not get the attitude problem they have towards foreigners under control, and will not get the security and corruption issues under control, I am afraid that the future does look rather grim for Brazil. As to security and corruption; I think I know what I am talking about. My Brazilian brother-in-law was murdered during an assault (for an object worth 150 reais or 50 pounds sterling) two years ago, and the aftermath of the murder and the way it was being dealt with or better, was NOT being dealt with), as well as the comments that were made by people of whom I thought we could say that they were our friends, have left me...rather disgusted by the people who live in that country and the system they are so desperate to keep in place and maintain. A frequent reproach I received while living there, was that Europeans are so "cold"....we may be, but we at least care for people who live around us, contrary to most Brazilians who couldn't care less, as long as they themselves are OK.

But, once again; wonderful country with humongous potential!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article in UK Telegraph on trip in Brazil

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »