Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Rehashed Polls - Is anyone else bored?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:44
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Free....at a price.... Mar 31, 2012

@Giovanni & Charlie - Touché...it is free (it feels like such a long time since I paid my membership I'd almost forgotten......)

...but given the amount of $$$ they no doubt have rolling in, would it be so hard to task someone to deal with these "little things" such as ensuring a varied poll? And therefore making the site more attractive to "would be" paying members.

I just think it's somewhat short-sighted of Proz to rest on their laurels, and will lead to more peopl
... See more
@Giovanni & Charlie - Touché...it is free (it feels like such a long time since I paid my membership I'd almost forgotten......)

...but given the amount of $$$ they no doubt have rolling in, would it be so hard to task someone to deal with these "little things" such as ensuring a varied poll? And therefore making the site more attractive to "would be" paying members.

I just think it's somewhat short-sighted of Proz to rest on their laurels, and will lead to more people abandoning their paid membership, rather than enticing new business (not to mention boring the rest of us to death).

Just because something is free doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism, or from being open to suggestions for change (for the better)...

Now, if only ProZ.com had a "suggestions" box.....
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I agree... Apr 1, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I just think it's somewhat short-sighted of Proz to rest on their laurels, and will lead to more people abandoning their paid membership, rather than enticing new business (not to mention boring the rest of us to death).

Just because something is free doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism, or from being open to suggestions for change (for the better)...

but I don't think Proz.com has the resources to check every little things or aspects of the website. They should, obviously, and I think you are right to complain. I can't, because I'm not paying. I just ignore these things because I know that Proz.com will never change something which generates traffic and therefore revenue.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
It may be a "blip".... Apr 1, 2012

...but todays poll hasn't been rehashed....we'll see if it continues

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:44
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestions Forum Apr 1, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Ciao Ty,
actually there is a Forum for submitting suggestions and ideas: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions-13.html

The new forum allows you to submit new ideas, view other ideas and vote on them.

D.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't know about that.... Apr 1, 2012

Ciao Daniela!

Thanks for that, that one must have slipped under my radar!
I'll be sure to post a few suggestions!

Grazie!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Off topic: Rehashed Polls - Is anyone else bored? Apr 1, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Off topic: Rehashed Polls - Is anyone else bored?

Yes, I am. These polls seem pointless.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:44
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Split weekday / weekend polls Apr 1, 2012

Niiiiice to see some positive input on this forum

Here's another idea:

Why not divide polls into weekday polls and weekend polls?

Weekday polls could be more "serious" -- more "hardcore," practical, thought-provoking, stimulating, dealing with to-the-point translation issues, etc. etc.

while

Weekend
... See more
Niiiiice to see some positive input on this forum

Here's another idea:

Why not divide polls into weekday polls and weekend polls?

Weekday polls could be more "serious" -- more "hardcore," practical, thought-provoking, stimulating, dealing with to-the-point translation issues, etc. etc.

while

Weekend polls could be "lighter" -- more entertaining, funnier, more oriented to letting off steam, etc. etc.

After all, I'm having fun with today's poll and not because it's April Fool's day. It's a Sunday and, by nature, I'm feeling a little lighter in the head even though I am in the middle of two heavy projects.

Just a thought -- 2 days of fun after 5 days of hard slog. I think anybody would relate to that. It'll please more people and stimulate more discussion and participation, which can't be bad.

And, of course, more vetting by Proz admin would be very welcome!

1:30 a.m. here in Japan - the place where the water falls off the edge of the map.

O-yasumi-nasai. Sweet dreemzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:44
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Priority Apr 4, 2012

This is from my own experience, but there is priority on this site.

What I mean here is that the boredom of daily polls or a psychopath trolling on certain KudoZ language pairs is not top priority for the site. If a problem lies where the site's server is down, or if there is a scammer having 50+ aliases and faking to be from Proz or other reputable translation agencies and trying to rip you off, THEN, site staff will take preventive measures or even go after the culprit.

... See more
This is from my own experience, but there is priority on this site.

What I mean here is that the boredom of daily polls or a psychopath trolling on certain KudoZ language pairs is not top priority for the site. If a problem lies where the site's server is down, or if there is a scammer having 50+ aliases and faking to be from Proz or other reputable translation agencies and trying to rip you off, THEN, site staff will take preventive measures or even go after the culprit.

I know that there is a forum for submitting suggestions and ideas like Daniela wrote, and writing to the forum may be one way of improving the daily polls or other request(s) you may have towards Proz.

I also know that everybody who uses Proz, regardless of being a member or not, would want to get full benefit from using the site, but we can't have everything in our hands, can we? My favorite line from a movie called "Grumpier Old Men", Burgess Meredith says to Jack Lemmon: "You can wish in one hand and c**p in the other, and see which gets filled first".

It's just a daily poll, for God's sake!
Collapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Chill out! Jesus. Apr 4, 2012

First of all Yasutomo, chill out, you'll burst a blood vessel at this rate. I think you're taking this more seriously than we are.

Secondly, it's about perspective, isn't it? Even a free service is still a service, surely? But it's [voluntarily] not free for everybody, including you, so I'm surprised you don't want more for your money (if you're going to pay surely it gives you more of a right to say - hey!, this needs changing).

You say we can't have *everything
... See more
First of all Yasutomo, chill out, you'll burst a blood vessel at this rate. I think you're taking this more seriously than we are.

Secondly, it's about perspective, isn't it? Even a free service is still a service, surely? But it's [voluntarily] not free for everybody, including you, so I'm surprised you don't want more for your money (if you're going to pay surely it gives you more of a right to say - hey!, this needs changing).

You say we can't have *everything? Well, why not? Is it rocket science to actually follow their own principles for poll selection?

*I would argue that petitioning for a more interesting daily poll is hardly "everything" but I digress...
Collapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
The priorities argument Apr 4, 2012

Not sure this stands up to scrutiny either when you have support tickets left to rot, scammers spamming us to death with fake declarations of love (I have about one a week on a "good week" from ProZ).

Where I do agree is that they don't prioritize the little things like KudoZ and the polls, which in my opinion is getting their priorities skewed...
KudoZ etc are the "bread and butter" of ProZ, they are why most people hang around here for as long as they do
... See more
Not sure this stands up to scrutiny either when you have support tickets left to rot, scammers spamming us to death with fake declarations of love (I have about one a week on a "good week" from ProZ).

Where I do agree is that they don't prioritize the little things like KudoZ and the polls, which in my opinion is getting their priorities skewed...
KudoZ etc are the "bread and butter" of ProZ, they are why most people hang around here for as long as they do, by neglecting these things they really are shooting themselves in the foot long term.

I'd like to think that it's because they are so busy with the 'big issues', but I just don't think this is the case and makes for quite a weak counter-argument in my book.
Collapse

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
@Ty Apr 4, 2012

The great thing about banging your head against a wall is that .... it's so good when you stop

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rehashed Polls - Is anyone else bored?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »