Off topic: Off topic: When you feel like complaining about being a translator...
Thread poster: Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2012

...have a look here

http://imgur.com/a/a1hXG

Ramesh Bhatt
Ramesh Bhatt  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 20:49
Member (2007)
English to Tibetan
+ ...
When you feel like complaining about being a translator... Mar 30, 2012

Bizarre and disturbing it is in all its magnitude and dimensions.

However, there are unlimited other problems associated with our profession that we all face silently.

I won't complain about the usual things like strain cast upon our eyes by being constantly glued to the computer screen; but about the unhealthy demeanors of our computers, we ought to complain to (?)...[God].

The moment you open the computer, some off the track program starts to interrupt yo
... See more
Bizarre and disturbing it is in all its magnitude and dimensions.

However, there are unlimited other problems associated with our profession that we all face silently.

I won't complain about the usual things like strain cast upon our eyes by being constantly glued to the computer screen; but about the unhealthy demeanors of our computers, we ought to complain to (?)...[God].

The moment you open the computer, some off the track program starts to interrupt you in your work. Some plug-in stops functioning; something/somebody tries to install itself and make its presence felt upon your computer; the moment you try to install some wanted program, something is reported missing in your computer software and the program can't be installed.

You try to find solutions to these crazy things and in the process much time is wasted.

My estimation is that during a year we waste about five hundred crucial hours of productive time just for the maintenance of our computers. During those five hundred hours, we could read and enjoy the all the classical Greek Philosophical works--and what an achievement that would be! And what a loss we incur by such trivialities and vulnerability of our computers.
Collapse

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:04
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks for the laugh Mar 30, 2012

That one on the utility pole gave me the creeps!
There is always something worse ....

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yuck! Mar 30, 2012

After looking at all those yucky jobs, I think I'll happily stick to translating!
Jenny

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
So, 3rd row back, 6th carrel from left... Mar 30, 2012

...and you suddenly get a coughing fit, or a leg cramp, or have to go to the bathroom--how do you get out?

Nope, lonely as it is to be six miles from civilization at 3:37 am and suddenly have my screen go black, then blue...I'll take my comfy chair, my pajamas, and my sympathetic boss (me!) and not gripe.

--Jane

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So the grass isn't always greener Mar 30, 2012

Great! I was in quite a bad mood after a spat with another translator about rates and this has really cheered me up, so thanks a million for the laughs - and the reality check!

I'm not sure which of the jobs pictured would be the worst, but I actually felt physical vertigo at the 2 men fixing the antenna...

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Mar 30, 2012

Thank you all for your interesting responses, I am glad I cheered somebody up with this post.
I have to give credit to the original poster, which is not a translator. His name is Rob Brezsny. He called his post: "COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. Other jobs you could have but don't".

Have a nice week-end!
Giusi

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
kudoz to the Vietnamese photo Mar 30, 2012

compelling composition, inspiring

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
LOL Mar 31, 2012

The glance from the guy on the right in the third pic tells quite a story
Thanks for the laugh, Gius!
G

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nice pix Mar 31, 2012

In a weird "sadistic" way, nice funny stuff. I had already seen many of them but still...

Now that we have looked down the ladder... in order to go back to a depressing state of mind we should find a similar site with photos of jobs much better than ours... but are there any?)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vietnamese photo Mar 31, 2012

Hugo wrote:
kudoz to the Vietnamese photo. compelling composition, inspiring
Which one is that, Hugo?

And neilmac, ditto on the physical vertigo thing.

--Jane

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
lime green wall backdrop Apr 1, 2012

Hi Jane, it's the one where the worker on a flimsy-looking ladder faces the formidable task of figuring out the maze of power lines!

Regarding the picture with the two men above the skyscrapers, maybe Alain Robert would feel 'at home' in that situation...

[Edited at 2012-04-01 06:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Off topic: When you feel like complaining about being a translator...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »