Off topic: Must read for all translators: health tips, if you sit for long duration on computer
Thread poster: Erudites
Erudites
Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2012

Dear colleagues,

Found an interesting and useful piece containing 10 tips you should follow if you spend more than 5 hours in front of computers. I believe all translators work for that much time on a daily basis.

http://www.search-articles.com/2012/04/ten-useful-health-tipsfor-computer.html

Thanks,
Adam

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:16
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the tips! Apr 3, 2012

I was starting to have trouble with my back, which I seemed to have sorted out by investing in a decent chair.

However, I'm now having trouble with my right shoulder and upper arm (I'm right-handed). It all started a few months ago when I had to copy and translate a set of financial statements. The file had been sent to me in PDF and I had to copy it using Word, in record time. There were a load of tables, meaning there was a lot of mousework invloved as all the tables were differe
... See more
I was starting to have trouble with my back, which I seemed to have sorted out by investing in a decent chair.

However, I'm now having trouble with my right shoulder and upper arm (I'm right-handed). It all started a few months ago when I had to copy and translate a set of financial statements. The file had been sent to me in PDF and I had to copy it using Word, in record time. There were a load of tables, meaning there was a lot of mousework invloved as all the tables were different, plus having to work under pressure. I'm sure you know the story...

I've started using the mouse with my left hand and I try to use the keyboard as much as possible. I also try and work with my elbows supported on the table - to take the stress off my shoulder and upper arms. It means working with the keyboard at least 50 cm away from my body.

I also get off my chair at the end of every page and I do a few exercises - I must look like a crazy windmill! I won't say I'm any better, but at least I'm no worse! And I don't wake up in the middle of the night with stiff biceps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Must read for all translators: health tips, if you sit for long duration on computer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »