Off topic: Job Satisfaction vs Paycheck: You care more for?
Thread poster: Erudites
Erudites
Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
Danish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2012

Funny saying - "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks...!!

Wanted to know how you guys think about it....

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Both Apr 22, 2012

I like both.

I like to pay all my bills and have some money over but job satisfaction is also important. I sometimes accept jobs at a lower rate if I like the subject matter. I also accept tight deadlines just because they pay so well (even if they are boring).

I am very lucky because I sort of drifted into this profession because of my lifestyle at the time (husband posted to different countries so I wanted a job that went with me and having children). Now I am reaping
... See more
I like both.

I like to pay all my bills and have some money over but job satisfaction is also important. I sometimes accept jobs at a lower rate if I like the subject matter. I also accept tight deadlines just because they pay so well (even if they are boring).

I am very lucky because I sort of drifted into this profession because of my lifestyle at the time (husband posted to different countries so I wanted a job that went with me and having children). Now I am reaping the benefits in the sense that my children are adults and I have a sound customer base already established.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:20
French to English
wanting and needing Apr 22, 2012

Not quite sure here because the title of the thread asks us to compare Job Satisfaction vs Paycheck, then in the first message we are asked to compare career and paycheck

I need money just the same as everyone.
However, voluntary simplicity has been my way of life since before the term was even invented so my needs are not that great. And since my life partner has a decent income the money I earn comes as a welcome extra.

I want job satisfaction because doing so
... See more
Not quite sure here because the title of the thread asks us to compare Job Satisfaction vs Paycheck, then in the first message we are asked to compare career and paycheck

I need money just the same as everyone.
However, voluntary simplicity has been my way of life since before the term was even invented so my needs are not that great. And since my life partner has a decent income the money I earn comes as a welcome extra.

I want job satisfaction because doing something for hours every day that doesn't satisfy you is quite simply soul destroying.

And as to having a career... what does that imply exactly? From the stuff I translate for headhunters sometimes it seems to mean kowtowing to a psychopath boss like in "The Devil wears Prada". I aim to keep my pride intact so no thanks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job Satisfaction vs Paycheck: You care more for?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »