Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Eurovision 2012 - What do you think of your country's entry?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:23
English
+ ...
Wunnerful,wunnerful, Jack. May 26, 2012

And no doubt the only time "infra dignitatem" has been--or ever will be-- used in song lyrics.

Edited because I got mixed up. Sorry about my Lawrence Welk impression, Jack; it was the polka that was his dance, not the waltz.

[Edited at 2012-05-26 17:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-26 17:17 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
French to English
+ ...
@ Jack May 26, 2012

Great, Jack, I love waltzes; I can't stand that song, it is dreary

[Edited at 2012-05-27 10:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-27 10:20 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
I hear.... May 26, 2012

...that Italy are being tipped to win it. Wonder how they'll afford it! :-/

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
English to Italian
I'm ready... May 26, 2012

I'll probably be one of the few people watching the show in Italy. Actually, I think I am one of the few people who ever watched the show in Italy...is it even on tv, I wonder?

I used to support the Uk but if Andrew Lloyd Webber didn't manage to write the winning song, then I am not sure anyone can...UNLESS, the UK is represented by someone reeeeaaallly popular.
I was initially a bit disappointed by the Uk entry, but the song sounded better the second time.
Fingers cro
... See more
I'll probably be one of the few people watching the show in Italy. Actually, I think I am one of the few people who ever watched the show in Italy...is it even on tv, I wonder?

I used to support the Uk but if Andrew Lloyd Webber didn't manage to write the winning song, then I am not sure anyone can...UNLESS, the UK is represented by someone reeeeaaallly popular.
I was initially a bit disappointed by the Uk entry, but the song sounded better the second time.
Fingers crossed for tonight.
I've read about Spain hoping to lose but they actually have a nice song and the singer has a really good voice. Losing might not be that easy.
Italy and Germany have good songs too and if I remember well, so has Sweden.
As for Ireland, i'd rather see Aslan at the Eurovision than Jedwards....
Collapse

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
English to Italian
@ Ty May 26, 2012

Italy might be able to afford it, since they already refused some major football event because it was too expensive. Maybe thanks to that there is something left in the bank for the Eurovision, but first Nina Zilli has to win.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My dear Ty ... May 26, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

...that Italy are being tipped to win it. Wonder how they'll afford it! :-/

Why, the taxpayer will pay, of course. Who else?
Jenny

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Eurovision aftermath.... May 27, 2012

The excuses for the UK's dismal performance have already begun to flow, the biggest one being "it's because we went first"......Yeah, right.

Secondly, I don't think Norway deserved to come last - I thought theirs was a decent song. I kept praying for someone to give Norway a few points just to get them off the last spot. Alas, no takers.

However, I personally couldn't see why Sweden won. No offence but their entry reminded me quite strongly of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Hei
... See more
The excuses for the UK's dismal performance have already begun to flow, the biggest one being "it's because we went first"......Yeah, right.

Secondly, I don't think Norway deserved to come last - I thought theirs was a decent song. I kept praying for someone to give Norway a few points just to get them off the last spot. Alas, no takers.

However, I personally couldn't see why Sweden won. No offence but their entry reminded me quite strongly of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights"....especially the dancing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

Whilst on the topic, I don't think Serbia deserved to be where it did, the song was very forgettable.

The voting was, as always, a "delight" to watch.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Brilliant Jack! May 27, 2012

Thanks so much for posting that. It's hilarious.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spain May 27, 2012

Two bars of our song here was enough to know that there was no way of winning the contest. What our visual society expects today is a fair deal of visual effects, shocking dances/costumes/performances, and a fast rythm. Nothing of that was present in Spain's candidate.

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Loss of language learning opportunity May 28, 2012

I've watched Eurovision most years since I was a kid - not in an obsessed way, but as a general, comic entertainment kind of way.

However, one of the things I remember most when I was a child - and something that has sadly been omitted now due to the large number of competing countries - was the fact that they used to read out the full set of results for every country - in English and in French.

Its how I learnt my European countries in French!!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agree May 28, 2012

Wendy Leech wrote:

I've watched Eurovision most years since I was a kid - not in an obsessed way, but as a general, comic entertainment kind of way.

However, one of the things I remember most when I was a child - and something that has sadly been omitted now due to the large number of competing countries - was the fact that they used to read out the full set of results for every country - in English and in French.

Its how I learnt my European countries in French!!

It's all done at such breakneck speed now - and it's still on for 3 hours!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Poor old Norway May 28, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:
I don't think Norway deserved to come last - I thought theirs was a decent song. I kept praying for someone to give Norway a few points just to get them off the last spot. Alas, no takers.

It was probably before most of you were born but Norway finished last year after year, even scoring a round total of ZERO at least once. It really was a standing joke e.g. maybe there would be points deducted so they could go negative.

Then one year they wiped the board. Just like that! I stopped watching then. No fun anymore. That was maybe 30-35 years ago and I don't think I've missed anything at all. I do remember Abba doing "Waterloo" though - truly amazing to see something that polished.

Sheila

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Norvège - null points May 28, 2012

Ah yes, I remember it well...

Odd Børre - Stress (1968)

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE_tvMyHn48

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Eight hard facts we learned from Eurovision 2012 May 28, 2012

http://www.thevine.com.au/music/news/eight-hard-facts-we-learned-from-eurovision-2012/

...Although I don't agree with his view of the British attitude toward Europe, it's still rather funny.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Thanks, Ty, for the article. May 28, 2012

Unfortunately he did not quote what I consider the absolute best line from Moldova's lyrics, perhaps the best of the whole evening:

"You haven’t seen before how looks the trumpet."

Just typing it makes me laugh.

(I always watch Eurovision on the Beeb with the subtitling on; it adds that extra dimension...makes the lyrics so much more enjoyable.)

And for those who missed it, the complete lyrics:

"At the wedding tonig
... See more
Unfortunately he did not quote what I consider the absolute best line from Moldova's lyrics, perhaps the best of the whole evening:

"You haven’t seen before how looks the trumpet."

Just typing it makes me laugh.

(I always watch Eurovision on the Beeb with the subtitling on; it adds that extra dimension...makes the lyrics so much more enjoyable.)

And for those who missed it, the complete lyrics:

"At the wedding tonight she looks nicer than the bride.
When she smiles, I forget my lyrics.
I got blind, I got mad, not from the diamonds she had
But from the beauty that puts my heart on fire

You have never been at my show
You haven’t seen before how looks the trumpet
But the sound goes straight to your soul
Gets you out of control
This trumpet makes you my girl

Just like from paradise, you came down from the skies
On a plane which belongs to your daddy
Welcome to carousel. The wine is sweet, but take care,
cause too much is no good for a princess."

You have never been at my show
You haven’t seen before how looks the trumpet
But the sound goes straight to your soul
Gets you out of control
This trumpet makes you my girl."

And my mind is still boggling at the first line of Estonia's lyrics: "Listen to the horizon."

Edited to add: I was wondering if there might not be a Eurovision song lyrics generator. Nope, but this comes close: http://eurovisionsongtitlegenerator.tumblr.com/

[Edited at 2012-05-28 22:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-28 22:28 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eurovision 2012 - What do you think of your country's entry?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »