Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Your country’s equivalent to a Stag Party?
Thread poster: Alistair Gale
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brazil Jan 10, 2013

In Brazil, same as Portugal: despedida de solteiro/solteira.
The only difference is the pronunciation:
Brazil: /dis-pi-DEE-dah dee sawl-TAY-roo/ or /sawl-TAY-rah/
Portugal: /dish-p'DEED d' s'l-TIE-roo/ or /s'l-TIE-rah/

Marvin Sun
Marvin Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:42
English to Chinese
Guan Li and Ji Li in acient China Jan 10, 2013

There is no such a party in modern China, except in ancient times were there such ceremonies called Guan Li (冠礼) for a man who turned 20, and Ji Li (笄礼) for a woman who turned 15. Both ceremonies mean the person is sexually matured and allowed to be married. The tradition was descended from Zhou dynasty (1046–256 BC). Ji Li can be hold twice, first in the year the woman turns 15, then the second time when she turns 20, before which she should have kept single all the time.

... See more
There is no such a party in modern China, except in ancient times were there such ceremonies called Guan Li (冠礼) for a man who turned 20, and Ji Li (笄礼) for a woman who turned 15. Both ceremonies mean the person is sexually matured and allowed to be married. The tradition was descended from Zhou dynasty (1046–256 BC). Ji Li can be hold twice, first in the year the woman turns 15, then the second time when she turns 20, before which she should have kept single all the time.

Guan Li and Ji Li usually take place in their respective ancestral temples of the families. On the ceremony, the host man of Guan Li will put on a hat and clothes as an adult, while the host woman of Ji Li will have her hair tied up.

Guan Li:

Ji Li:

[Edited at 2013-01-10 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:42
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Swedish for 'stag party': Svensexa Jan 10, 2013

Svensexa is derived from 'sven', a word implying a young man who is innocent in the sense that he has no or little sexual experience
and
sexa = originally a supper starting at six o'clock (Sw:sex) nowadays almost exclusively used among students, normally later in the evening (the word nattsexa (night party) is even used).
A sexa is very informal (tables aren't necessary) and rather undefined as to its end.
2-6 a.m. is optional.
It goes without saying that the partic
... See more
Svensexa is derived from 'sven', a word implying a young man who is innocent in the sense that he has no or little sexual experience
and
sexa = originally a supper starting at six o'clock (Sw:sex) nowadays almost exclusively used among students, normally later in the evening (the word nattsexa (night party) is even used).
A sexa is very informal (tables aren't necessary) and rather undefined as to its end.
2-6 a.m. is optional.
It goes without saying that the participants are male.

Nowadays a sexa can have females as participants.

The female variant of 'svensexa' is 'möhippa' (approx. virgin party)
Collapse

Michael Lima
Michael Lima
Local time: 00:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ontario, Canada - stag and doe Jan 10, 2013

Alistair Gale wrote:

Having recently been invited to my brother’s Stag Party [party in honour of a man who is getting married], it got me thinking:

What are the equivalents in other countries? Are they as odd as ‘stag’ or indeed ‘hen’ [the female equivalent]?

I’d love to hear, so please do let me know, giving me an English back translation.

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for starting this interesting topic.

In Southern Ontario, Canada the equivalent would be stag and doe or buck and doe. In other parts of the province (Northwestern Ontario) it is called a shag.

Best,

Michael.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 05:42
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Shag? Jan 10, 2013

Michael Lima wrote:

Alistair Gale wrote:

Having recently been invited to my brother’s Stag Party [party in honour of a man who is getting married], it got me thinking:

What are the equivalents in other countries? Are they as odd as ‘stag’ or indeed ‘hen’ [the female equivalent]?

I’d love to hear, so please do let me know, giving me an English back translation.

Hi Alistair,

In Southern Ontario, Canada the equivalent would be stag and doe or buck and doe. In other parts of the province (Northwestern Ontario) it is called a shag.

Best,

Michael.

You do know what the shag is in British English? It made me laugh.

Michael Lima
Michael Lima
Local time: 00:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shag - variations in popular culture Jan 11, 2013

Lingua 5B wrote:

Michael Lima wrote:

Alistair Gale wrote:

Hi Alistair,

Best,

Michael.

You do know what the shag is in British English? It made me laugh.

Hi Lingua5B.

Yes it is funny, and it is also interesting how as translators we have to understand about popular culture. Whereas in British English, 'shag' it is a slang for sexual intercourse, in parts of Ontario, it refers to as a stag party or a stag and doe.

Best,

Michael.

"A "shag" is thought to be derived from "shower" and "stag", and describes a dance where alcohol, entry tickets, raffle tickets, and so on, are sold to raise money for the engaged couple's wedding.
Reference: "Canadian English" Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

[Edited at 2013-01-11 05:27 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your country’s equivalent to a Stag Party?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »