Kristian Madar
Kristian Madar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 06:37
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 4, 2013

I have come across this sentence in my source text:

'Do not put fragile goods around you when watching 3D TV, this may result in personal injury while you shake when watching terrible programme.'

The rest of the text seems to be fine, but I am not quite getting this sentence. Did they want to say that whilst watching a terrifying content on TV using the 3D glasses there is a risk that you might knock down surrounding fragile objects because you can get startled ????? <
... See more
I have come across this sentence in my source text:

'Do not put fragile goods around you when watching 3D TV, this may result in personal injury while you shake when watching terrible programme.'

The rest of the text seems to be fine, but I am not quite getting this sentence. Did they want to say that whilst watching a terrifying content on TV using the 3D glasses there is a risk that you might knock down surrounding fragile objects because you can get startled ?????

I hope so, or otherwise I am getting to old and tired to translate at this late ungodly hour. Meh...

Thanks for any advice.

This sentence is sooooo funny. Does anybody else think so?

[Edited at 2013-06-04 23:40 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My experience Jun 5, 2013

When I saw my first 3D movie at an IMAX theater, the experience was overwhelming. The picture seems to end right in front of your chest, and I was not the only one in the theater who tried to grab things and to reach into the picture - it's a reflex. People also threw up their arms in defense during scary scenes, for example when an airplane seems to fly right into your face. If I would have sat on the sofa in my living room, I certainly would have knocked over any glass or cup in front of me on... See more
When I saw my first 3D movie at an IMAX theater, the experience was overwhelming. The picture seems to end right in front of your chest, and I was not the only one in the theater who tried to grab things and to reach into the picture - it's a reflex. People also threw up their arms in defense during scary scenes, for example when an airplane seems to fly right into your face. If I would have sat on the sofa in my living room, I certainly would have knocked over any glass or cup in front of me on the table.

That's how I understand this scenario.
Collapse

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 5, 2013

Kristian Madar wrote:
This sentence is sooooo funny. Does anybody else think so?

Hilarious - and not written by a native speaker. I am definitely with Nicole on this one in terms of meaning, although having played 3D computer games, I appreciate the level of immersion.

OlivierParrot
OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Let's all just stop watching terrible programs Jun 5, 2013

Funny, I translated a very similar sentence a few months ago from English to French, almost the same wording
The English had been (er... poorly) translated from Chinese. The client provided me the original Chinese text and yep, it was something along the lines of "Don't put that fragile vase on your lap when watching horror films".

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Hmmm. Maybe along the lines of dog-shaming photos Jun 5, 2013

OlivierParrot wrote:

Funny, I translated a very similar sentence a few months ago from English to French, almost the same wording
The English had been (er... poorly) translated from Chinese. The client provided me the original Chinese text and yep, it was something along the lines of "Don't put that fragile vase on your lap when watching horror films".

...someone will start a "I was watching a terrible 3D program" photos site? You know, a photo of a sofa surrounded by the smithereens of a fragile vase and scattered popcorn?(http://www.dogshaming.com/)

[Edited at 2013-06-05 09:04 GMT]

Edited to add hyphen....

[Edited at 2013-06-05 13:50 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Part of our fate these days Jun 5, 2013

Unfortunately, even professional clients submit awful English for translation these days. That doesn't make it right, of course.

I agree with Nicole's interpretation. 'Terrible' should be 'terrifying' and 'you shake' is about right in meaning but simply too colloquial. It still doesn't make complete sense, though, as not only fragile objects can hurt you when you hit them in an impulsive reaction.

[Edited at 2013-06-05 10:56 GMT]

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 01:37
English
+ ...
Humour? Jun 5, 2013

I agree with your interpretation - "terrible" should be "terrifying".

What is less clear is the register of the sentence. Is the message to be taken literally or is this a metaphorical allusion to emphasize the realism of the 3-D system?

Michael

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Don't know about all of you but... Jun 5, 2013

... I certainly always make sure to arrange my most fragile possessions around me before settling down to watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead.

I doubt I will ever buy a 3D TV (don't like them), but if I do I will resist surrounding myself with my Ming vase collection lest they fall victim to the St. Vitus' Dance brought on by this particular viewing experience.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Terrible Jun 5, 2013

Michael Barnett wrote:

What is less clear is the register of the sentence. Is the message to be taken literally or is this a metaphorical allusion to emphasize the realism of the 3-D system?

Michael

Imagine daytime TV, infomercials and game shows in 3D. The horror!!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ha Jun 6, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Michael Barnett wrote:

Michael

Imagine daytime TV, infomercials and game shows in 3D. The horror!!

I'm still waiting for smell-o-vision

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have a suspicion my source text is quite 'fuzzy' in its meaning

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »