Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
To gift or not to gift Jun 28, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

I just can't get on board with "to gift", fry-endorsed or not.

My policy with such words or phrases is just to accept their use by others, but not use them myself.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:17
English
+ ...
Serendipitously enough... Jul 2, 2013

I was delighted to read in Bill Bryson's "At Home: A Short History of Private Life" at bedtime the same day Heinrich posted this, about Horace Walpole as a great coiner of words, but have not had time until now to post.

"Although he is hardly read now, Walpole was immensely popular in his day for his histories and romances. He was a particularly adept coiner of words. The Oxford English Dictionary credits him with no fewer than 233 coinages. Many, like ‘gloomth’, ‘greenth’,
... See more
I was delighted to read in Bill Bryson's "At Home: A Short History of Private Life" at bedtime the same day Heinrich posted this, about Horace Walpole as a great coiner of words, but have not had time until now to post.

"Although he is hardly read now, Walpole was immensely popular in his day for his histories and romances. He was a particularly adept coiner of words. The Oxford English Dictionary credits him with no fewer than 233 coinages. Many, like ‘gloomth’, ‘greenth’, ‘fluctuable’ and ‘betweenity’, didn’t take, but a great many others did. Among the terms he invented or otherwise brought into English are ‘airsickness’, ‘anteroom’, ‘bask’, ‘beefy’, ‘boulevard’, ‘café’, ‘cause célèbre’, ‘caricature’, ‘fairy tale’, ‘falsetto’, ‘frisson’, ‘impresario’, ‘malaria’, ‘mudbath’, ‘nuance’, ‘serendipity’, ‘sombre’, ‘souvenir’ and, as mentioned a few pages back, ‘comfortable’ in its modern sense."

I love "inbetweenity" and "fluctuable"... but given the way I react to "gift" as a verb, I wonder how I would have reacted when I first heard them. I'd like to think I would have been tickled with his inventiveness (inventivity?)

(Just came across a Walpole quote which I will have to add to my profile page of quotations: "Nine-tenths of the people were created so you would want to be with the other tenth.")

By the way, Heinrich, thanks for posting the Fry link.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Gift Jul 2, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

I can't quite pin down my dislike for "gift" as a verb. The sound doesn't really bother me, and I'm not usually fazed by nouns becoming verbs... perhaps it harks back to my days of learning German, if I recall "Gift" in German is "poison"...perhaps somewhere in my mind I'm making a connection, thinking they're saying "he gifted [poisoned] her...". It's a stretch but I can't think where else this aversion to it comes from.

"Poison" in Norwegian too, but also "married".

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:17
English to Polish
+ ...
I used to be a prescriptive grammarian, but... Jul 2, 2013

... But these days I tend to agree with Stephen Fry. Good writing is more important than the whining of purists, and prescription often makes little logical sense if any at all. Once you have a bunch of competing camps of purists, my patience is really at its last, and I just don't give a rat's breath about many things that used to be important, once (or not even).

Grammar whining by non-writers is a bit like being an armchair commentator or spectator in a fighting sport. What right
... See more
... But these days I tend to agree with Stephen Fry. Good writing is more important than the whining of purists, and prescription often makes little logical sense if any at all. Once you have a bunch of competing camps of purists, my patience is really at its last, and I just don't give a rat's breath about many things that used to be important, once (or not even).

Grammar whining by non-writers is a bit like being an armchair commentator or spectator in a fighting sport. What right do non-fighters have to speak about blows and parries with authority?

This said, a smart person should write logically. A sentence must make sense. The logical operators must be in good places and have their proper, clear significance. Sometimes even if the meaning is otherwise obvious. I don't like grammar whining but I don't like whining-inducing grammar, either.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stephen Fry's view on language purism

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »