Thread poster: Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
Turkish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2013

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything but made me literally, for once, laugh out loud this morning. I salute these brave and selfless parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2392151/How-doting-dads-One-Direction-concert-survived-night-screaming-teens.html

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:25
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I love it! Aug 14, 2013

I do understand those dads! I sometimes feel as if I have never been young myself. I have always hated those noisy concerts. But then I was conditioned...

I remember a fancy dress party at my boarding school: I went with a couple of friends as St. Trinians' (one was remotely related to Ronald Searle, who drew the original cartoons), and four others went as the Beatles. So when they paraded across the stage, we all pretended to scream - they were as convincing as 15-year-old girls co
... See more
I do understand those dads! I sometimes feel as if I have never been young myself. I have always hated those noisy concerts. But then I was conditioned...

I remember a fancy dress party at my boarding school: I went with a couple of friends as St. Trinians' (one was remotely related to Ronald Searle, who drew the original cartoons), and four others went as the Beatles. So when they paraded across the stage, we all pretended to scream - they were as convincing as 15-year-old girls could be...
The noise was, briefly, somewhat loud, and the headmistress sent us all to bed early in disgrace! It was just too much for her in the mid-60s!

People used to complain when I was a student in Leeds because a local noise restriction meant they could never invite the really big bands. All the same, when I was persuaded to go to a concert, I fainted because of the noise.

Ever since, I have preferred to stay at home and listen to the record (or CD these days)
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:25
Chinese to English
Save us from the plastic pop Aug 14, 2013

If that were me, I'd have Led Zep playing to counter the manufactured noise!
Good on those dads, though.

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:25
German to English
my hubby Aug 14, 2013

loves it when our 7 year old daughter screams "louder, louder" in the car when listening to ACDC, Led Zeppelin and the like
so we obviously still have something to look forward to when she is old enough to go to boy band concerts.
still, she likes classical too, so I won't give up hope (or my earplugs, just in case!)

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Awaits me a couple years... Aug 14, 2013

My daughter is 9, so that will probably be me in a few years, with whatever generic boy band will be in vogue at the time. Perhaps, for fun, I'll learn all their lyrics, just so my girl can be front and center in another photo spread that will probably be titled "Daughters completely mortified by their dads getting into it at the [insert boy band name here] concert".

Perhaps if I'm lucky she won't get into the craze at
... See more
My daughter is 9, so that will probably be me in a few years, with whatever generic boy band will be in vogue at the time. Perhaps, for fun, I'll learn all their lyrics, just so my girl can be front and center in another photo spread that will probably be titled "Daughters completely mortified by their dads getting into it at the [insert boy band name here] concert".

Perhaps if I'm lucky she won't get into the craze at all. She's already concluded, based on his recent exploits highlighted in the media, that "Justin Bieber seems like kind of a jerk".
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Backstreet boys Aug 14, 2013

My wife made me go to a backstreet boys concert a couple of weeks ago. I ended up playing on my phone the whole time, but she got to touch Brian so she's still happy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Bored and bewildered dads"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »