Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:22
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2013

Dear all,
I have just received an offer to subscribe to Tradvia (www.tradvia.com).
The 50% discount is expiring on the 31st of August.
I like the idea of home swapping with fellow translators, but honestly I have some doubts about this site.
The forum is deserted, the offers are just a few, and in general I do not like the site style.
I read a topic last year about Tradvia, here on Pr
... See more
Dear all,
I have just received an offer to subscribe to Tradvia (www.tradvia.com).
The 50% discount is expiring on the 31st of August.
I like the idea of home swapping with fellow translators, but honestly I have some doubts about this site.
The forum is deserted, the offers are just a few, and in general I do not like the site style.
I read a topic last year about Tradvia, here on Proz, and nobody seemed very enthusiastic.
The idea behind the site is brilliant, but I would like to hear your views about its implementation,
and above all if your are willing to subscribe and make it grow. I'll think about it in the next 2 days.

Cheers
Paola
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Thoughts Aug 29, 2013

I had a quick look at the site; while initially a bit "showy" looking, it's not entirely bad.

I had never heard of it before your post; perhaps traffic is slow for this reason... no-one knows of its existence

I suppose swapping homes might be a little scary for some, so trust may be an issue.

I am also a bit wary of sites who don't offer a way of trying their services for free; it's not clear
... See more
I had a quick look at the site; while initially a bit "showy" looking, it's not entirely bad.

I had never heard of it before your post; perhaps traffic is slow for this reason... no-one knows of its existence

I suppose swapping homes might be a little scary for some, so trust may be an issue.

I am also a bit wary of sites who don't offer a way of trying their services for free; it's not clear to me whether this is an option on Tradvia.
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
last year topic Aug 30, 2013

Hi Fiona,
this is what I read last year
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/236359-has_anyone_used_tradvia.html

I agree about trying their services for free (like on Proz e.g.).
I don't think though home exchance is scary - there are a lot of home swapping sites and a site for translators is a great idea, as we are supposed to have sim
... See more
Hi Fiona,
this is what I read last year
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/236359-has_anyone_used_tradvia.html

I agree about trying their services for free (like on Proz e.g.).
I don't think though home exchance is scary - there are a lot of home swapping sites and a site for translators is a great idea, as we are supposed to have similar needs and life-style.

Paola
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Interesting Aug 30, 2013

I'd been considering the usefulness of such a site myself only a few days ago and wondered if it was worth trying to set one up, but then I wondered how we keep it to translators only (assuming we see ourselves as a community and there is therefore an element of trust between us). As a user, I find this site a bit disorganised, you can't seem to filter by the number of people each property can accommodate, and there is a large number of entries with no photos at all. I would also have liked to s... See more
I'd been considering the usefulness of such a site myself only a few days ago and wondered if it was worth trying to set one up, but then I wondered how we keep it to translators only (assuming we see ourselves as a community and there is therefore an element of trust between us). As a user, I find this site a bit disorganised, you can't seem to filter by the number of people each property can accommodate, and there is a large number of entries with no photos at all. I would also have liked to see some information about who is running the site and where they are based.Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly, Lisa Aug 30, 2013

I made the same considerations.
I hope they're reading this forum and answer (they should keep an eye on Proz).

Paola Dentifrigi
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contacts Aug 30, 2013

I sent them a message. I'll keep you posted.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
This idea Jul 23, 2017

Does anybody have an idea what happened with this idea? The website tradvia.com is no longer existing and I haven't heard anything about this idea/project/initiave for years. It would be interesting to hear if it's still alive (under another name) or if it failed.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
translator community? Jul 24, 2017

I personally like home exchanges, because that way there's someone caring for our pets and watering our garden. However, I prefer to offer my home (with or without an exchange) within the NGO I work with, because I feel a very strong sense of community there. My fellow volunteers have much the same kind of needs as us, so our houses will cater to them and I know they won't mistreat our pets.

Here I don't even feel safe enough to use my real name so I wouldn't want to house swap exce
... See more
I personally like home exchanges, because that way there's someone caring for our pets and watering our garden. However, I prefer to offer my home (with or without an exchange) within the NGO I work with, because I feel a very strong sense of community there. My fellow volunteers have much the same kind of needs as us, so our houses will cater to them and I know they won't mistreat our pets.

Here I don't even feel safe enough to use my real name so I wouldn't want to house swap except perhaps with certain translators whose contributions I find valuable and sensitive and so on. If one such translator were to contact me in private I would consider the offer carefully, but no way would I respond to a public announcement. As to going onto a website where I didn't know anybody at all, no way.

Not sure what special needs translators might have, I mean apart from an Internet connection in case you need to work on holiday, and that's by no means a need exclusive to our profession.
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Post on TTNS Jul 26, 2017

I remember that not long ago a memeber of the TTNS group proposed this idea and he was suggested to start a new group/page on Facebook for this purpose

Erik Hansson

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tradvia - Home exchange for translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »