Off topic: Remembering Nelson Mandela ....
Thread poster: tradu-grace
tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

I just believed a little tribute from proz community would be "necessary" as we (interpreters and translators), along with the rest of the world, were deeply saddened to learn of Nelson Mandela's passing.

I here just mention one of his quotes "I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul" in his honour.

He will always remain in my heart!!

(everyone can find his famous quotes, if interested, here
... See more
I just believed a little tribute from proz community would be "necessary" as we (interpreters and translators), along with the rest of the world, were deeply saddened to learn of Nelson Mandela's passing.

I here just mention one of his quotes "I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul" in his honour.

He will always remain in my heart!!

(everyone can find his famous quotes, if interested, here: http://answersafrica.com/best-nelson-mandela-quotes.html)

All colleagues comments, views or simply a couple of words to remember Madiba will be very welcomed and much appreciated at least to me.

Grace
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Truly a great man Dec 13, 2013

And you are right.

This year I light my Advent candle each evening in memory of him.

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
Asimbonanga! Dec 13, 2013

You are right, tradugrace.

He was the spiritual father of an Africa that is widely fatherless, because men are working far from their families in mines, in tourism.

In addition to his insistence on reconciliation instead of retribution, being Tata was the big gift he gave to so many Africans and people from all over the world.

With 10 politicians like him as leaders, Africa would be shining.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
One of my heroes Dec 13, 2013

I will be forever grateful for his life.

May he rest in peace.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The last Great Man Dec 13, 2013

I must confess it took a long time until I understood Mandelas aim. The South-African regime had told the world he was a terrorist and a communist and so on, and I had believed it, even though I had read some books about the fight against apartheid already around 1984. I knew more about Steve Biko than Mandela.
But when I read Mandelas autobiography about 15 years ago I realized I had been totally wrong. It is one of the greatest books ever written, and by reading it one becomes a better h
... See more
I must confess it took a long time until I understood Mandelas aim. The South-African regime had told the world he was a terrorist and a communist and so on, and I had believed it, even though I had read some books about the fight against apartheid already around 1984. I knew more about Steve Biko than Mandela.
But when I read Mandelas autobiography about 15 years ago I realized I had been totally wrong. It is one of the greatest books ever written, and by reading it one becomes a better human being.
He was fortunate to have been a lawyer, otherwise probably he would have not been able to speak so convincingly as he did.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remembering Nelson Mandela ....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »