Off topic: Ideas for translator contest prizes?
Thread poster: LingoTrust
LingoTrust
LingoTrust
Local time: 04:40
Jan 23, 2014

Our company was playing around with the idea of offering a contest for translators.

I'll leave out the particulars, as we're still brainstorming the concept of the contest.

However, I wanted to get your opinion as a community of translators, what sort of prizes would interest you most to engage in the translation contest? Please keep in mind we're a small company, so Hawaiian vacations would be off the table.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
English to Russian
+ ...
A typical reply would be money. Jan 23, 2014

You can consider prizes like Trados or another newest CAT; 1-year membership at a leading translators' organisation (ATA etc.) and/or Proz; publication of the winner's translation (if the winner would like to translate a book, you can sponsor such a project and publish it when it's ready).
If you cannot afford offering Hawaiian vacations, you can at least offer an iPad (connected to unlimited Internet) or a Kindle with free books and vouchers to buy more books. You might consider finding a
... See more
You can consider prizes like Trados or another newest CAT; 1-year membership at a leading translators' organisation (ATA etc.) and/or Proz; publication of the winner's translation (if the winner would like to translate a book, you can sponsor such a project and publish it when it's ready).
If you cannot afford offering Hawaiian vacations, you can at least offer an iPad (connected to unlimited Internet) or a Kindle with free books and vouchers to buy more books. You might consider finding a sponsor to make the prizes more appealing.
Some agencies offer regular translation work to winners, but their rates are too low to be viewed as a prize worth fighting for.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:40
English to Polish
+ ...
The award itself, actually Jan 23, 2014

Depending how exactly ambitious the project is, I think the winning translator would probably benefit the most from the contest having a solid and credible feel and being publicised. Otherwise it depends what exactly your company does, but if you deal in courses and learning materials, that could be an interesting avenue, too. A beginner would benefit from being assigned a mentor in the form of a senior inhouse translator. Also, you could purchase something from a client at a discount price or i... See more
Depending how exactly ambitious the project is, I think the winning translator would probably benefit the most from the contest having a solid and credible feel and being publicised. Otherwise it depends what exactly your company does, but if you deal in courses and learning materials, that could be an interesting avenue, too. A beginner would benefit from being assigned a mentor in the form of a senior inhouse translator. Also, you could purchase something from a client at a discount price or involve a client in the project. This is a far analogy, but some law firms involve corporate inhouse counsel from the client companies in their pro bono work. This makes their relationships more durable.

[Edited at 2014-01-23 20:06 GMT]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My opinion as a Dutch member of the community of translators Jan 23, 2014

Dear company,

My Northwestern European opinion is that you would be demonstrating extreme bad taste and lack of global marketing skills. Agencies organising contests for people they rely upon to make a living. Fire the marketing manager!

Cheers,
Gerard

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:40
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Just brainstorming... Jan 23, 2014

The first things that come to my mind out your possible budget:

* Flash drives,
* microphones,
* (prof.) earphones,
* software like "Translation Office 3000" and other not-too-expensive useful programs,
* buy some good seminars from Proz.com and offer them for free to winners
* Proz.com membership (say, 50% covered by you for winners)
* Mini-projectors
* Mini scanners

and many more.

All these come in handy fo
... See more
The first things that come to my mind out your possible budget:

* Flash drives,
* microphones,
* (prof.) earphones,
* software like "Translation Office 3000" and other not-too-expensive useful programs,
* buy some good seminars from Proz.com and offer them for free to winners
* Proz.com membership (say, 50% covered by you for winners)
* Mini-projectors
* Mini scanners

and many more.

All these come in handy for a proactive translator-interpreter.

If you need more ideas than just these, let me know via email.

Sincerely,
Vitaly
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
How about a bottle of good single malt? Jan 23, 2014

Big one!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free membership Jan 24, 2014

Suggested inspired by the nagging message at the top of my screen: "Your ProZ.com membership expires in 11 days"....
Which makes me feel like replying "My bank account will probably be empty in 10 days"!

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:40
Chinese to English
Publication Jan 24, 2014

For me, the most valuable thing is a line to put on my CV, something that future prospective clients can check. Publish the winning entries with as much fanfare as you can muster.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Reward both the pro and the person Jan 24, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

For me, the most valuable thing is a line to put on my CV, something that future prospective clients can check. Publish the winning entries with as much fanfare as you can muster.

Having a page on your website which bigs up the contest as much as possible, that the winner(s) can put a link to on their ProZ profile etc.

And throwing in a (can be small) "luxury", cf. others' suggestions, would be a feelgood incentive.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Bravo, Gérard! Jan 25, 2014

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Dear company,

My Northwestern European opinion is that you would be demonstrating extreme bad taste and lack of global marketing skills. Agencies organising contests for people they rely upon to make a living. Fire the marketing manager!

Definitely!

My Eastern South-American opinion is the same.

Envision yourself entering a fleet cab, and seeing a notice (and a trophy or medal) that your driver won the 1st place in the company-sponsored demolition derby. How tight would you fasten your seat belt?

A translation company's message should say, "we only hire the best, and leave the others to competition". There is no point in driving these best translators to exhaustion in order to find the "primus inter pares". Each one of them should be among the best in the entire industry.

A contest on Proz is okay. It's like any sports competition in a club. Proz is not reselling the contestants' services, it's merely providing an e-venue to display and promote them.

[Edited at 2014-01-25 11:32 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a translation contest Jan 26, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Dear company,

A contest on Proz is okay. It's like any sports competition in a club. Proz is not reselling the contestants' services, it's merely providing an e-venue to display and promote them.

[Edited at 2014-01-25 11:32 GMT]

I have to agree with my two colleagues unless this is not a translation competition but some other sort of contest which is not work related, in that case it might actually be a fun way to interact with your service providers.

However asking for prize suggestions without giving us any idea of what the budget for prizes is seems a bit pointless to me, how can we offer suggestions if we don't even know how much money you can spend and how many prizes you can give out. Are we talking about 10s, 100s or 1000s (or more to spend), are we talking about 1, 2, 3 or more prizes?

LingoTrust
LingoTrust
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, just a fun contest Jan 27, 2014

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, this would just be a fun contest, something extra that translators can voluntarily take part in.

There would be 3 winners: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize.

I think the suggestion for a CAT tool program is a good one for the 1st prize. 2nd and 3rd prize would be a little less money, respectively.

LingoTrust
LingoTrust
TOPIC STARTER
Contest started! Mar 14, 2014

We started the contest! Prizes include MemoQ Pro and Amazon gift cards.

Check it out:

http://ackuna.com/pages/memoq_contest

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Are you kidding me??? Mar 15, 2014

So, you get any number of translators to translate an app for one of your clients into their different languages. You tell your (potential) clients that they get all this work for free. All YOU pay for is a CAT tool and some minor prizes for three of any number of translators who potentially submit top quality translations for which YOU get all the credit and goodwill with potential new clients. And any number of translators who do not win those 'amazing' prizes will have wasted their time and g... See more
So, you get any number of translators to translate an app for one of your clients into their different languages. You tell your (potential) clients that they get all this work for free. All YOU pay for is a CAT tool and some minor prizes for three of any number of translators who potentially submit top quality translations for which YOU get all the credit and goodwill with potential new clients. And any number of translators who do not win those 'amazing' prizes will have wasted their time and given your their work for free?

Or am I misreading the rules for this fantastic contest completely?
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's the spirit of a contest Mar 15, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

So, you get any number of translators to translate an app for one of your clients into their different languages. You tell your (potential) clients that they get all this work for free. All YOU pay for is a CAT tool and some minor prizes for three of any number of translators who potentially submit top quality translations for which YOU get all the credit and goodwill with potential new clients. And any number of translators who do not win those 'amazing' prizes will have wasted their time and given your their work for free?

Or am I misreading the rules for this fantastic contest completely?

Say you enter a marathon. You pay your enrollment fee, buy your running gear, go there and race through all those miles. The three fastest will win some plastic medal or trophy, all others will just have sprinkled the pavement with their sweat.

Organizers will have made a bundle selling TV broadcasting rights, advertising spots on the way, etc.

Nobody is ever forced to join. They may watch it on TV, on location, or merely ignore it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ideas for translator contest prizes?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »