Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:36
German to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2014

Hello everyone,

I hope it's okay to post this request here in the off-topic section:

I've been a proz.com member for a short while, since I work as a translator and at this time also as a technical writer (in DE and EN). For the past 3 years, I've also been studying toward an MA in Technical Communication at Sheffield Hallam University and will be finishing this year. While I haven't contributed as much to the proz community as I would like yet, I would like to ask a fa
... See more
Hello everyone,

I hope it's okay to post this request here in the off-topic section:

I've been a proz.com member for a short while, since I work as a translator and at this time also as a technical writer (in DE and EN). For the past 3 years, I've also been studying toward an MA in Technical Communication at Sheffield Hallam University and will be finishing this year. While I haven't contributed as much to the proz community as I would like yet, I would like to ask a favour:

I'm currently writing my MA thesis on which types of help documentation software users prefer. For this, I have created a 10-minute questionnaire which is live now until at least for a month. For significant results, I require at least 400 complete responses, in order to split results into more detailed user / audience groups, it needs to be a lot more.

What I want to achieve is more than just finish a dissertation, it's to give technical writers rough guidelines as to what information to put into different help outputs depending on their specific audience. I will make the information available to anyone interested - just let me know.

You as language professionals may well know a number of technical communicators and possible participants, and those again may know more possible participants.

This is why I would like to ask you for your help, first of all by taking part in the survey and by sharing it with anyone you think might want to take part, via other forums, Twitter, or any way you see fit.

People from any country, of any age groups, professions etc are welcome, as long as they have ever used a computer!

This is the link: http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/ah-matc2014-F5m/user-preferences-in-help-documentation/

Just reply here or contact me if you need any more information.

Thank you very much for reading this!

Astrid
Collapse

Astrid_H
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 18, 2014

I've just seen that quite a number of answered surveys has been referred via proz.

Thank you very much for your help to those who have answered! You are really helping me out!

Astrid_H
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any more takers? Mar 29, 2014

Would anyone with some time on their hands help out? I only need a few more replies!
Thank you!!
http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/ah-matc2014-F5m/user-preferences-in-help-documentation/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with a research project in technical writing please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »