Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: Clichés, anyone? (1) "I shall not rest" (2) "tireless/tirelessly"
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

I have a passion for.... May 7, 2014

I have a passion for .....

Being a low-key person, I am often overwhelmed by all the passions out there, including all the passionate translators, cooks, thimble collectors, eaters of chocolate.

[Edited at 2014-05-08 06:28 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Forward May 7, 2014

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

My dad, an affable and kindly man I have spent the greater part of my life not imitating, unfortunately, used to fly into an uncharacteristic rage whenever he heard this one, constantly used by reporters and politicians on BBC Northern Ireland. It does conjure up an image of a line representing time, with a little dot on it to show the point we've reached so far.

On the same subject I used to get tired of hearing Gerry Adams (for whom I have the utmost respect, by the way) talking about "moving the peace process forward".

A process cannot be moved forward. It is inherently forward-moving, is it not? Can a process be moved at all, in any direction?

[Edited at 2014-05-07 12:57 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:32
French to English
au jour d'aujourd'hui May 7, 2014

In French, one of my pet hates is "au jour d'aujourd'hui". Even without understanding a word you can tell that there's needless repetition. Literally "on the day of today". My previous boss used to say it about fifty times a day. In fact I'm wondering whether he ever said just "aujourd'hui".

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom ... May 7, 2014

... digressing momentarily from the original subject matter (shurely one'sh allowed to digress from one'sh own topic ...), after the events in Antrim last week I hope you haven't been listening to the news lately, and don't listen to them now, because the outpourings of the "moving forward" cliché I am reliably informed was all over the place after the Good Friday agreements of 1995 are now back centre stage with a vengeance, but in the sense of "moving backwards" or "not moving forward", in th... See more
... digressing momentarily from the original subject matter (shurely one'sh allowed to digress from one'sh own topic ...), after the events in Antrim last week I hope you haven't been listening to the news lately, and don't listen to them now, because the outpourings of the "moving forward" cliché I am reliably informed was all over the place after the Good Friday agreements of 1995 are now back centre stage with a vengeance, but in the sense of "moving backwards" or "not moving forward", in the best traditions of a place with a problem for every solution. As evry skoolboy kno.

Mervyn

[Edited at 2014-05-07 14:09 GMT]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Peanuts May 7, 2014

As Giles says, a judiciously placed cliché can have the benefit of making a translation sound a bit less like a translation, so they have their place.
And like Neil, I've been known to use "on a daily basis" and similar for the sake of rhythm or emphasis.

But one cliché that really grinds my gears (!) these days is the relentless use of references to "peanuts" in any discussion about rates. Surely as master wordsmiths we can find slightly less tired ways of talking about the
... See more
As Giles says, a judiciously placed cliché can have the benefit of making a translation sound a bit less like a translation, so they have their place.
And like Neil, I've been known to use "on a daily basis" and similar for the sake of rhythm or emphasis.

But one cliché that really grinds my gears (!) these days is the relentless use of references to "peanuts" in any discussion about rates. Surely as master wordsmiths we can find slightly less tired ways of talking about the issue. I'm afraid that whenever I see a forum post with the p-word these days, I assume the poster is devoid of any original thought on the issue and immediately skip to the next post.

In the UK political arena, the fact that all measures are routinely described in terms of their impact on "hard-working" families, and no other kind of family, to say nothing of those in no kind of family at all, is also irritating.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
ROFL May 8, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

"What's your worst fault?"
"Total honesty"
"I wouldn't call that a fault"
"I don't give a damn what you think"

I'm still laughing at that one, thanks. "I was that interviewee"...

[Edited at 2014-05-08 07:36 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sound bites May 8, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

On the same subject I used to get tired of hearing Gerry Adams (for whom I have the utmost respect, by the way) talking about "moving the peace process forward".

A process cannot be moved forward. It is inherently forward-moving, is it not? Can a process be moved at all, in any direction?

[Edited at 2014-05-07 12:57 GMT]

The thing is that to most people, this kind of language "sounds good". I had to translate a politician's speech once (E. Zaplana) and was amazed at how what sounded great to the audience when delivered was actually a disjointed incoherent hodge-podge of nothing much really. But it sounded good.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My grandmother's definition of working class... May 8, 2014

In the UK political arena, the fact that all measures are routinely described in terms of their impact on "hard-working" families, and no other kind of family, to say nothing of those in no kind of family at all, is also irritating.

Not quite the same cliché, but my grandmother must have been irritated by something similar back in the 1960s or so. The grown-ups were listening to the radio and I at a very tender age was minding my own business when Granny burst out:

'Anyone who does a decent day's work is working class, and everyone else should be ashamed of themselves!'

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Deserving poor May 8, 2014

The equivalent of "hard-working families" over 100 years ago was "the deserving poor". George Bernard Shaw found this so irritating that in "Pygmalion", he had Liza Dolittle's father proudly proclaim himself a member of "the undeserving poor".

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
In the way of... May 8, 2014

One of the phrases that gets my goat (!) is over-used all the time by weather forecasters: "More in the way of cloud" or "More in the way of rain". Why not just "More cloud" or "More rain"?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
YOLO May 8, 2014

What's worse than a cliché ? A cliché that gets abbreviated and becomes an annoying 'yoof' catchphrase.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The quality of mercy May 9, 2014

Gail Bond MITI wrote:

One of the phrases that gets my goat (!) is over-used all the time by weather forecasters: "More in the way of cloud" or "More in the way of rain". Why not just "More cloud" or "More rain"?

Pity the poor (UK) weather forecasters! I assume they are merely trying to soften the blow of telling viewers every day that the weather will yet again be... ahem... less than optimum.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Yes or yes"? May 9, 2014

Having not lived in the country of birth for years, you tend to miss out on some of these things, so I was wondering whether the present torrent in Spanish media of "sí o sí" - "definitely", "no two ways about it - has crept into English. Or did it come from there? Doubtful. Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as it rolls off just about everybody's over here.

Mervyn

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Seriously? May 10, 2014

"We take all cases of [...] very seriously."

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Chinese to English
Hate to say it May 10, 2014

I've been told in no uncertain terms (there's another one!) by close family members that I drive them crazy with my constant use of 'hate to say it' and 'to be honest'. Luckily, I don't think I've ever hit the double whammy of "Hate to say it, but I honestly don't...."

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clichés, anyone? (1) "I shall not rest" (2) "tireless/tirelessly"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »