liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2014

Hello

I have only been to Italy once, but this week I am going with my family (husband, son (age 21) and daughter (age 20) to Rome!

My husband Ken was reading a recently purchased guide book on Italy, in particular, on Rome, and read out that wearing shorts was only acceptable at the beach. My daughter who has bought several pair of shorts recently, wants to know if this is actually the case.

Replies from people anybody living/working/who has been to Rome
... See more
Hello

I have only been to Italy once, but this week I am going with my family (husband, son (age 21) and daughter (age 20) to Rome!

My husband Ken was reading a recently purchased guide book on Italy, in particular, on Rome, and read out that wearing shorts was only acceptable at the beach. My daughter who has bought several pair of shorts recently, wants to know if this is actually the case.

Replies from people anybody living/working/who has been to Rome/Italy are very welcome.

Thank you!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Men only Jul 14, 2014

liz askew wrote:

Hello

Replies from people anybody living/working/who has been to Rome/Italy are very welcome.

Thank you!

Hi Liz. AFAIK it refers to men. Women should be able to wear shorts or culottes without any problem, especially in tourist areas.

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's a relief! Jul 14, 2014

Thank you Neil...

Thankfully I will not be wearing shorts, so don't worry any Italians out there!
My daughter is nice and slim:)
Liz

Luciana Trevisi
Luciana Trevisi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Shorts Jul 14, 2014

Shorts are generally accepted in Italy (they're fashionable at this time) except when visiting places like churces, where it's better to wear longer trousers and to avoid sleeveless and low-necked shirts.

[Edited at 2014-07-14 19:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-14 20:01 GMT]

Emmanuella
Emmanuella
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
When in Rome... Jul 14, 2014

Please consider that there are many kinds of shorts - elegant and not elegant ones ...
I live in Florence where Italian men do wear shorts. It might be a problem should they intend to enter a famous church.
Enjoy your stay in Italy!

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Luciana and mamamia Jul 14, 2014

Nice to hear your comments too.

My daughter has some tasteful shorts.

Thank you for the information about suitable attire for churches; I would hope the same is true in GB.

We can't wait to see Rome.

Best wishes
Liz

Alessandra Maugeri
Alessandra Maugeri  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I confirm Jul 15, 2014

No shorts or tank tops allowed when visiting St. Peter's (this one for sure, maybe also a few other churches). And this also applies to men...

Ciao, and have a wonderful stay!!

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
all-purpose cotton scarf Jul 15, 2014

It is wise for your daughter to always carry a cotton scarf with her so that she can cover her shoulders or knees (like some sort of Hawaian pareo) when required.

I was in Florence lately ; in all the churches where you pay a fee as visitor they give women a big, long plastic apron to cover knees.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
This... Jul 15, 2014

Luciana Trevisi wrote:

Shorts are generally accepted in Italy (they're fashionable at this time) except when visiting places like churces, where it's better to wear longer trousers and to avoid sleeveless and low-necked shirts.

[Edited at 2014-07-14 19:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-14 20:01 GMT]

Apart from that, you can wear them everywhere... well, maybe not in a posh restaurant or anywhere that requires a more formal attire...

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:11
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Enjoy Jul 15, 2014

Have a wonderful trip Liz!

Enjoy la dolce vita!

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
texjax DDS PhD Jul 15, 2014

Thank you for your good wishes!

It should be a trip of a lifetime.

Have a good summer!

Liz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When in Rome....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »