Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 22:39
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe too used to things... May 24, 2019

For ten years I had my office in the attic of a farmhouse in Provence. Strong sunlight, tiny windows, slightly monastic darkness inside, and outside nothing but melon fields.

Sure I got used to it, but when I came to Barcelona and found a flat from which I can basically see an entire city, with a million people going about their activities, from the airport to the sea, I am pretty convinced the quality of my ideas changed – as if the limits suddenly disappeared.

From
... See more
For ten years I had my office in the attic of a farmhouse in Provence. Strong sunlight, tiny windows, slightly monastic darkness inside, and outside nothing but melon fields.

Sure I got used to it, but when I came to Barcelona and found a flat from which I can basically see an entire city, with a million people going about their activities, from the airport to the sea, I am pretty convinced the quality of my ideas changed – as if the limits suddenly disappeared.

From melons to megalopolis. Title for a book?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
What happened to the new thread? May 24, 2019

Early this morning (EST) a new thread appeared asking (as I remember) whether the internet was a blessing or a curse, and specifically inquiring as to whether it heralded the end of translation as a profession.

Now I wonder why this thread was so quickly removed from this site....

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
German to English
+ ...
re genuine question May 24, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

(I actually thought this was a genuine question originally). In the context of the event, I'm curious trying to imagine what was actually meant. For me it literally means flooring.

It IS a genuine question. The surprising thing is that people might think it's not...

A professional designer is being paid and given a budget to make changes that suit the translator. To me, it's a great idea. But then again my wife is a former architect and I see many examples of the places she has converted. And no, not on TV.

Andrew, I mean I thought that the question was simply asking what I would change about my office. But the question is actually linked to an offer to change my office (If I do certain things.)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Air conditioning May 24, 2019

My "office" is a room with a big desk, a comfortable chair, my printer, a filing cabinet, a cabinet for office supplies, and a stack of plastic tubs and boxes full of assorted stuff that I have no place else to store.

My "work space" is my kitchen table. I carry my laptop to the office when I need to print something.

Why don't I use my office? Because it's always hot in there--unbearably so in the afternoon. The rest of my apartment has a/c, but the office has no access
... See more
My "office" is a room with a big desk, a comfortable chair, my printer, a filing cabinet, a cabinet for office supplies, and a stack of plastic tubs and boxes full of assorted stuff that I have no place else to store.

My "work space" is my kitchen table. I carry my laptop to the office when I need to print something.

Why don't I use my office? Because it's always hot in there--unbearably so in the afternoon. The rest of my apartment has a/c, but the office has no access to a roof or balcony where I can place the outside unit of an inverter. So, without recurring to solutions that are far beyond my budget, I can't work (or store electronics) in my "office."

So, my imaginary office makeover would include air conditioning and better lighting.
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 22:39
SITE STAFF
No decluttering needed May 25, 2019

Since we're moving into a new house, the designer would have a clean slate, aside from two electronic standing desks. Long as s/he would stick to the basic design idea of the house, I'd be good with whatever s/he came up with. And with plants. I need plants around me. And perhaps a proper screen on the window so I could work with an open window and not worry about bugs. I hate bugs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »