Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2019

When you post a discussion comment on a Kudoz question, there is a time posted in the upper right corner of your post in the form of hour/minute am/pm plus the date.
Question: what time zone is this?

There is also a time for answers in the form of '5 minutes', '10 minutes', etc. following posting.
Question: why is the time posted for discussion comments different from that for answers?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Local Jul 19, 2019

It's whatever your timezone is.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
It would be nice Jul 19, 2019

if the discussion would show it in hours and minutes, in the same way as the answers. Sometimes it helps to have that comparison. Maybe both formats, because the dates help sometimes, too.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Timezone Jul 20, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

It's whatever your timezone is.

I understand that but my timezone has no meaning for anyone but me and it doesn't allow for comparison between the time a discussion entry was made and when an answer was posted.

Jennifer Caisley
Christel Zipfel

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
They'll see it in their timezone Jul 21, 2019

If they're in another timezone, they'll see the time in whatever timezone they're in.

Jennifer Caisley
Jennifer Caisley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
@Tina I completely agree! Jul 21, 2019

While many of the other replies have focused on the question of timezone, if I understand correctly, the question is why one time is shown as "clock time" (in whatever timezone applies), and the other is "minutes elapsed"? If so, I completely agree with you! I've never understood why both can't simply be displayed as "clock time" - it's needlessly confusing to have both systems in play!

Christel Zipfel

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jennifer Jul 21, 2019

Jennifer Caisley wrote:

While many of the other replies have focused on the question of timezone, if I understand correctly, the question is why one time is shown as "clock time" (in whatever timezone applies), and the other is "minutes elapsed"? If so, I completely agree with you! I've never understood why both can't simply be displayed as "clock time" - it's needlessly confusing to have both systems in play!

Thank you, Jennifer, you understand correctly. But if they both were on the same time, I would prefer to see the time elapsed because that can never be confusing.

Yvonne Gallagher
Johanna Timm, PhD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posted times for discussion vs. answers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »