Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Has your works affected by corona virus?
Thread poster: Mehmet Çelik
Mehmet Çelik
Mehmet Çelik
Türkiye
Local time: 11:17
Turkish to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2020

I just wonder how is others works since mine is affected..

Aline Amorim
Cécile Kellermayr
Tradwind (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Agencies goodbye Mar 19, 2020

I think we're going to see hundreds (or thousands) of the worst agencies crashing and burning. Good riddance. I hope that when this is over, the whole translation industry will give itself a thorough shakedown and that only GOOD agencies will be left (and of course with the corollary: that jumped-up incompetent translators will all go away and find other jobs).

Personally I'm still getting some work but not much. My language pair (Italian to English) is moribund.

[Edited at 2
... See more
I think we're going to see hundreds (or thousands) of the worst agencies crashing and burning. Good riddance. I hope that when this is over, the whole translation industry will give itself a thorough shakedown and that only GOOD agencies will be left (and of course with the corollary: that jumped-up incompetent translators will all go away and find other jobs).

Personally I'm still getting some work but not much. My language pair (Italian to English) is moribund.

[Edited at 2020-03-19 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Abdikani Adam

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
German to English
Only the most cut-throat will survive Mar 19, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I think we're going to see hundreds (or thousands) of the worst agencies crashing and burning.

[Edited at 2020-03-19 14:45 GMT]

That is to be hoped, but I'm pessimistic. I suspect that smaller agencies that pay well but with thinner margins will suffer and be consumed by the giants that can afford to ride out the inevitable economic downturn that is already underway during this pandemic.

Cécile Kellermayr
Esther Pugh
Tradwind (X)
jimsmith0817

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
German to English
I fear you're right Mar 19, 2020

Kevin Fulton wrote: That is to be hoped, but I'm pessimistic. I suspect that smaller agencies that pay well but with thinner margins will suffer and be consumed by the giants that can afford to ride out the inevitable economic downturn that is already underway during this pandemic.

I agree that the bigger agencies with the deeper pockets and the ability to cut margins to the bone (and slash what they pay their freelancers) are better placed to survive this crisis than better-paying, but traditionally undercapitalized smaller boutique agencies.

Work is beginning to dry up in my language combination (De-En), as economic activity slows in the German-speaking countries. I doubt that the big agencies will bother taking over the smaller ones: They'll just wait for them to wither away and move in on their clients once the crisis has moderated.

So we might actually end up with a situation where both you and Tom are right: the decimation (not just one in ten!) of the worst agencies AND the disappearance of many of the good, smaller ones, resulting in an even stronger group of large, global agencies. In turn, this will lead to permanently lower incomes for many or even most freelancers, which could have a knock-on effect on their discretionary professional spending, including association memberships, training and conferences, and paid platforms like ProZ.

Maria Pia Giuseppina Nuzzolese
Cécile Kellermayr
Tristan Schneiders
writeaway
Carina Obster
Tradwind (X)
Magnus Rubensson

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Hard to stay positive Mar 19, 2020

Strangely enough, jobs are still coming in, but will these agencies survive corona, in other words, will I still be paid at the end?

I think this is a risk we have to take.

[Edited at 2020-03-19 16:35 GMT]

seraalice
kaushar balapariya
Abdikani Adam

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Alternatively... Mar 19, 2020

... government bailouts will keep them all afloat and in three or six months it will be as though nothing had happened...

P.L.F. Persio

Tea Komšić
Tea Komšić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Tough year Mar 19, 2020

Honestly, I planned on starting my own business this year, that is, my own small agency, and slowly expanding it. But since this situation occurred, I am not sure right now, since my job has been affected. But hopes are, that I will manage to do that in the same way I planned it.

Fabrice Ndie

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
First customer Mar 19, 2020

Tea Komšić wrote:

Honestly, I planned on starting my own business this year, that is, my own small agency, and slowly expanding it. But since this situation occurred, I am not sure right now, since my job has been affected. But hopes are, that I will manage to do that in the same way I planned it.

You could sign me up as your first translator

This quiet period might actually be the best time at which to set up an agency.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Tea Komšić

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Risk Mar 19, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Strangely enough, jobs are still coming in, but will these agencies survive corona, in other words, will I still be paid at the end?

I think this is a risk we have to take.

That risk has always been there - virus or no virus.

Currently I have 7 outstanding invoices. I just have to assume they will be paid in full, on time. It's a risk we have to take.

Arthur Pahl

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
finally working at home Mar 19, 2020

I was lent a laptop to take home, with virtual remote connection to my desktop at the office. It is like using my office desktop through this laptop. I can even translate, import, and export files in MemoQ through our Outlook e-mail! It is also nice to have my windows open and enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and cows nearby.

I had been wanting to work from home instead of driving so far back and forth every day, but this is certainly not a good reason to be allowed to do so. I pr
... See more
I was lent a laptop to take home, with virtual remote connection to my desktop at the office. It is like using my office desktop through this laptop. I can even translate, import, and export files in MemoQ through our Outlook e-mail! It is also nice to have my windows open and enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and cows nearby.

I had been wanting to work from home instead of driving so far back and forth every day, but this is certainly not a good reason to be allowed to do so. I pray that virus disappear just as quickly as it seemed to appear.
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
15% rate reduction imposed by an agency Mar 20, 2020

Jobs are still coming in but an agency has just announced they are going to cut all rates by 15%.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Stronzi Mar 20, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:

Jobs are still coming in but an agency has just announced they are going to cut all rates by 15%.

I suspect I know what agency that is. There is no legitimate reason why anyone would cut their rates as a consequence of the coronavirus. Vultures.

Channa Montijn
Philippe Etienne
Robert Rietvelt
Elena Feriani
P.L.F. Persio
Jennifer Taylor
Erika Ballardin

Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some good news Mar 20, 2020

I've already received messages from two agencies who are reaching out to all their translators, basically with the same message: "We know you must be worried sick. From us, all of you can expect your payments in time. We're fully operational and doing what we can. Hang in there and stay safe."

I know agencies aren't always so popular in these forums, but they certainly aren't all bad.

Philippe Etienne
texjax DDS PhD
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Laura Kingdon
Fabrice Ndie
Tradwind (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Reaching Mar 20, 2020

Off-topic

I'm just wondering when and why people started using the Americanism "reach out" instead of the much more concise "contact" or "get in touch". WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaflX0MWRo

[Edited at 2020-03-20 09:30 GMT]

Baran Keki
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
A Word For I (X)
Jennifer White

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Two worlds Mar 20, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:

Next step is to extend payment terms. Beware.

If I worked only with such agencies and mimicked their practices, I'd have to increase the rent of a flat I'm renting to a young couple who will be hit hard.

Fortunately for this couple, I don't work with such agencies: I therefore have some slack to be accommodating if they get into trouble to pay their rent.

Philippe

Elena Feriani
celiacheung85

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has your works affected by corona virus?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »