Off topic: Why is the middle name not displayed?
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 03:55
Member (2011)
English to German
Jun 4, 2020

Why is the middle name not displayed?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@M. Jun 5, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Perhaps it is a bug in ProZ.com's software that disallows it to display names that are shorter than a certain number of characters, or names that contain non-alphabetic characters. Your middle name is "M." (according to your résumé), so it is both very short and contains a fullstop.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
My middle name is Monica. Jun 5, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Perhaps it is a bug in ProZ.com's software that disallows it to display names that are shorter than a certain number of characters, or names that contain non-alphabetic characters. Your middle name is "M." (according to your résumé), so it is both very short and contains a fullstop.

My middle name is Monica. I entered my full name into the 'Profile Updater', where my identity has also been verified.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hmm, okay Jun 5, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I entered my full name [including my middle name] into the 'Profile Updater', where my identity has also been verified.

1. Oh, I see it, yes. Even on my profile page's profile updater, there is an option to enter my "middle name", and I'm not even located in a country that uses middle names.

middle name1

Then perhaps you should ask the moderator to move this post to the Suggestions subforum, because I'm sure there would be other translators who would also want the option to have their middle name displayed in more places.

2. FWIW, your profile page's HTML title does contain the "M" (though without a fullstop).

middle name2

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Verification Jun 5, 2020

My guess is that the middle name is used only for verification purposes to prevent confusion with similar first and/or last names. I'm afraid that there will be just as many people who would like their middle name mentioned as people who would not want it - it could be seen as a breech of privacy.

Philippe Etienne

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Work-around Jun 5, 2020

Have you tried the work around of entering your first name as "Marina M." or "Marina Monica" in the 'first name' field?

Lucas Rodrigues Oliveira

Guenter Steinbach (X)
Guenter Steinbach (X)
United States
English to German
+ ...
Marina has asked the moderator of this forum to move the thread to the Suggestion subforum Jun 6, 2020

I don't know why Marina has selected an inclusive format for this thread, because she is only able to write two posts.
So, she wanted me to let you all know that she has asked the moderator of this forum to move the thread to the Suggestion subforum.
IMHO a middle name isn't that important...

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I have the same problem since the beginning Jun 6, 2020

I cannot enter my middle name, after trying many times I gave up, should you find a solution, please let me know:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »