Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Solidarity, just another word, or...?
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 25, 2002

This is not directly related to translation, but as a multicultural education-related community of 36,000+, maybe it would be possible for us to stress our solidarity once in a while with people who are not fortunate enough even to be able to continue their education...

Some of the ProZ mods will maybe remember that I once mentioned (in the context of sponsoring a project with charity dollars donated by grateful Kudoz askers) helping out an Indian girl who lost her father a
... See more
This is not directly related to translation, but as a multicultural education-related community of 36,000+, maybe it would be possible for us to stress our solidarity once in a while with people who are not fortunate enough even to be able to continue their education...

Some of the ProZ mods will maybe remember that I once mentioned (in the context of sponsoring a project with charity dollars donated by grateful Kudoz askers) helping out an Indian girl who lost her father a couple of years ago and who was going thru lots of ordeals ever since.

Pooja (that\'s her name, she\'s the daughter of Brij Mohan Singh, who was my best friend -he suddenly died at the end of \'96 at the age of 46) is now 17 years young and I spoke to her over the phone last Sunday.

In fact she called me for help.

She told me that their landlord cut off all power supplies, that he wants to evict them out of their (very very small) apartment (in Amer, a town about 8 kms. from Jaipur), that she can\'t pay for her textbooks, rent, tuition and what have you, and that they (they= Pooja & her mother Sonu) have absolutely no income nor anyone to turn to for help.

I know Pooja and Sonu very well (I visited them a first time in 1986 and then each year until 1995) and I know Pooja is an extremely bright and intelligent girl, who ought to be able to continue her studies (French + English & computer sciences).

By the way, Pooja considers me a bit like her father. No wonder, I first met her when she was 2 years old.

Now, wouldn\'t it be great if we could help her out a bit?

I have sent them some money in the past, but don\'t have the income to really help them out.

10 or even 5 euro/USD a member would already be sufficient, no matter how many or how few would contribute.

In fact, any contribution would be highly appreciated and I will see to it that Pooja informs me (and you) regularly about further developments with respect to her studies, sends us some pictures etc.

I sincerely hope some of you will be able and willing to donate a few cents asap, as I know they\'re in a very bad shape and it\'s all (rather very) urgent.

ProZ members willing to do so and who trust me may send any amount to my ProZ wallet at

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_c=2127&eid_s=2127

I\'m sure Henry will not charge anything for this service... (Henry?)

Or you may wire a small contribution or simply send a small banknote (I\'ve done that before) to

Jazyk BVBA

Nachtegaalstraat 36

8490 Jabbeke

Belgium

Bank: Bank Brussel Lambert NV

Account number: 380-0164170-20

IBAN: BE28 3800 1641 7020

BIC of the BBL: BBRU BEBB

Do mention: Pooja / India 2002

Please do not send any cheques, as banks charge far too much and it takes ages to cash these.

I guarantee I\'ll forward everything directly and immediately to India.

In order to guarantee complete honesty, I will keep you all updated on the amount of contributions received and will ask another ProZ member to check all bank statements.

Other than that, I would like to give some sort of an award to one of the contributing ProZ members.

Pooja\'s father was a well known bright artist (e.g. he was a.o. commissioned to paint the portrait of the then president of India (Mr. Giani Zail Singh - president in the 1980\'s - I know for sure as I visited him a couple of times when Brij was still alive)) and I have several (absolutely great) miniatures painted by him.

I will list (and number) all members sending a contribution, whereby Henry (after a couple of weeks) will pick a number from 1 to (final number on the list); the person whose number corresponds to Henry\'s number will then receive this miniature (value of miniature: between 300 and 1000 USD).

What about it? We would be doing something very valuable, nobody would be hurt financially and we would be giving someone an opportunity to pick up her life.

I\'ll be looking forward to hearing from you soonest.

Best regards and thanking you all in advance,

Evert

[addsig]
Collapse

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good idea, Evert Jun 25, 2002

I hope it all works out, I am sure a lot of Prozis will be willing to help. Good luck!

Lydia

P.S. Was about time I learned how to use the ProZ wallet system anyway

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lydia, you're number ONE Jun 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-25 13:09, lmolea wrote:

I hope it all works out, I am sure a lot of Prozis will be willing to help. Good luck!

Lydia

Absolutely great, and as you just noticed: the wallet works perfectly!

Many heartfelt thanks!
<... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-25 13:09, lmolea wrote:

Lydia

Absolutely great, and as you just noticed: the wallet works perfectly!

Many heartfelt thanks!

Evert
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, it seems to work Jun 25, 2002

Many thanks as well to the other members who already made a contribution (Petra, Jack, Jerzy,...)!

I\'m sure someone in India will be delighted!

Evert
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:13
SITE FOUNDER
ProZ.com's contribution Jun 25, 2002

In light of Evert\'s selfless contributions in these forums since their inception, I would like to lend ProZ.com\'s support to his cause: ProZ.com will match any contributions made via Evert\'s ProZ.com wallet today, up to $200.

Henry

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
How to I transfer money to your wallet? Jun 25, 2002

Hi Evert,

I would like to help Pooja but I (and perhaps many others too) don\'t know how to use the wallet system. When I click on the link which you provided I arrive at your profile page. What do I do then?

Greetings from Germany!

Bénédicte Annys (X)
Bénédicte Annys (X)
Flemish to French
+ ...
no problem Jun 25, 2002

A little contribution should not be a problem.

Hope everything works out!

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Wow, wallet works well. Jun 25, 2002

Hope everything works out for Pooja. It must be great to have mentor like you, Evert.

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Here's how to contribute (thanks to Ann Bishop) Jun 25, 2002

Thanks to Ann, I (and hopefully lots of others) now know that after clicking on Evert\'s link to his profile, all you need to do to to click on the top right corner where it says that Evert accepts ProZ payments and the rest is easy.

You live and learn. And hopefully not just I but many, many others have learnt too and will also contribute as I am just about to.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jun 25, 2002

Henry, you\'ll be pleased to learn that you will spend at least 200 USD today

Thanks for your generous offer.

The sheer amount of positive reactions I already received (also in private) is simply astounding...

This is by far the best day I had in years (no kidding - hi Roomy ).

I just managed
... See more
Henry, you\'ll be pleased to learn that you will spend at least 200 USD today

Thanks for your generous offer.

The sheer amount of positive reactions I already received (also in private) is simply astounding...

This is by far the best day I had in years (no kidding - hi Roomy ).

I just managed to speak to Pooja: if you\'d know how grateful she is!

Your contributions have now already solved problem number 1: they were more than 6 months behind in payment of their rental fees.

That\'s been more than taken care of already.

Temperatures are soaring in Rajasthan (+45 ° C): I now hope we can buy her a fan, pay their electricity bills and then, who knows, start saving for her tuition fees and text books!
[addsig]
Collapse

www.diezeuros.org Jun 25, 2002

...just in case someone has 10 more euro in his pocket...

Please refer to the site (www.diezeuros.org)for details (in several languages).

I\'m really glad to see that we haven\'t lost our soul yet. )

Armando Pattroni
Armando Pattroni  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wallet Jun 25, 2002

Another thing I learned from this experience is that the wallet is really EASY to use. I think I am going palatinum asap.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jun 25, 2002

Dear all,

This message to inform you that 26 ProZ members have already contributed directly to thr ProZ wallet (totalling now 548 USD) and that I received at least 10 e-mails in private from ProZ members who promised to send a contribution by mail or wire transfer.

I even got a positive e-mail from someone who\'s not a member!

Simply great!

But more can be done...
[addsig]

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Good initiative Jun 26, 2002

Thanks Evert, this is a worthwhile effort. I\'ll send you some money through Post CashInternational.

May I suggest something?

This will be a lot of money, more than the family really needs.

Could you suggest that they take what they need and share the rest with another family?

Their case is just one of millions. And solidarity should also work on their side.

Thnaks and greetings

Maya

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Pooja's education may require all that this brings in or more Jun 26, 2002

I can see Maya Jurt\'s point of view, but if we are talking here of providing for Poona\'s education all the way through to graduate stage, this will take a considerable amount of money. It may be illogical, but I somehow feel more inclined to provide for one specific known person than for countless people unknown, probably through a charity organization which will take a proportion for administrative costs. By all means put any excess from this fund to other charitable purposes, but let\'s de... See more
I can see Maya Jurt\'s point of view, but if we are talking here of providing for Poona\'s education all the way through to graduate stage, this will take a considerable amount of money. It may be illogical, but I somehow feel more inclined to provide for one specific known person than for countless people unknown, probably through a charity organization which will take a proportion for administrative costs. By all means put any excess from this fund to other charitable purposes, but let\'s deal with this case first.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Solidarity, just another word, or...?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »