Off topic: looking for free SMS service to send SMS to German mobiles or worldwide
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:40
English to German
Sep 22, 2005

I'm one of the few people who does not have a mobile phone because I really don't need one. When I want to send an SMS to a UK number, I use the free service at the CardBoardFish website http://www.cbfsms.com/

The service is free of charge, no registration is necessary and you can receive replies. The only thing they ask is that no pop-up blocker is enabled while using the service so the websites of t
... See more
I'm one of the few people who does not have a mobile phone because I really don't need one. When I want to send an SMS to a UK number, I use the free service at the CardBoardFish website http://www.cbfsms.com/

The service is free of charge, no registration is necessary and you can receive replies. The only thing they ask is that no pop-up blocker is enabled while using the service so the websites of their sponsors are displayed. I can live with that.

But when I want to get in touch with friends in Germany, I can't use this service. Does anyone know of a website where I can send free SMS messages to German mobiles or mobiles worldwide, preferably without registering?

[Edited at 2005-09-22 11:50]
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:40
German to English
5vor12.de Sep 22, 2005

5vor12.de will give you one freebie a day. They're reliable too.

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
5vor12.de Sep 22, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

5vor12.de will give you one freebie a day. They're reliable too.

Thanks, Steven. Can I receive replies there too?

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Not so far as I know Sep 22, 2005

Not so far as I know, although you CAN as of recently put in your own mobile number.

Best,

Steven

Rebekka Groß (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
not what I'm looking for Sep 22, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

Not so far as I know, although you CAN as of recently put in your own mobile number.

Best,

Steven

Thanks again, Steven, but I'm really looking for a service that'll let me send more than 1 SMS a day and where I can receive replies as well.

I've even checked out the 'Profi-SMS' service on 5vor12.de but you need a German mobile number to register.

I only want to be able to send SMS messages from time to time that's whay I haven't even considered buying a pay-as-you-go mobile. I guess I'm spoiled after coming across the CBF site.

Let's hope someone out there knows of a service that meets all my requirements.

Cheers,

Rebekka

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Found one... Sep 29, 2005

Hi Rebekka,

I have found at least one that works worldwide:

http://email2sms.ru/sms.php

No registration needed.

Btw, I tried the UK one you recommended, Cardboardfish, and to be honest, found it a bit of a hassle - you need to click several times before you can actually send the message, you a
... See more
Hi Rebekka,

I have found at least one that works worldwide:

http://email2sms.ru/sms.php

No registration needed.

Btw, I tried the UK one you recommended, Cardboardfish, and to be honest, found it a bit of a hassle - you need to click several times before you can actually send the message, you are required to turn off pop-up blockers, which I always normally use (impossible to be on internet nowadays without one), you're asked to visit "sponsor sites", etc...

(Now I just hope that by putting the above address here I won't make everyone rushing to use it and thus blocking the system, which would probably be the end of the free service...:( )
Collapse

Sonja Willner (X)
Sonja Willner (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
not existent Sep 30, 2005

Hello Rebekka,

this is really tough. I like sending my SMS via the web as well, and during the past 12 month all the free sites have closed down. There are the ones like 5vor12 or dialing.de, but you need a German mobile number to register. Without registration you'd only ever be able to send one per day and no more than 50 or so per month, and these pages are not very reliable. Sorry!

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
I beg to differ... Sep 30, 2005

...they do exist - and here you can check an up-to-date list of current services:

http://www.textmefree.com/

The service I mentioned above does admittedly seem to be a bit unreliable in the time it takes to send messages (which I only discovered since posting) - best to check also the other ones mentioned on the site above!

Bilal Malik
Bilal Malik
Pakistan
Local time: 14:40
I've found one site; check it Oct 4, 2013

I know about one site but I've been using it for sending sms in Pakistan. Maybe it's also for sending sms in German. You can check it out because I don't know the codes of Geman networks. Its free of cost and even you don't have need of registration in it:

http://sms4joy.com/send-free-sms/

Check it ..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for free SMS service to send SMS to German mobiles or worldwide

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »