Thread poster: Olga Simon
Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2002

I am desperately trying to find out information about Brcko region of Bosnia-Herzegovina as it might become our next long-term job location which will be known in a few weeks time. Internet is not of too much help, a lot of irrelevant information. I need a local or someone who has already worked there.

PLEASE HELP, ANYBODY, who has ANY information on this location - what is it like, how many people, is the water drinkable, what are the housing conditions there, etc. This is
... See more
I am desperately trying to find out information about Brcko region of Bosnia-Herzegovina as it might become our next long-term job location which will be known in a few weeks time. Internet is not of too much help, a lot of irrelevant information. I need a local or someone who has already worked there.

PLEASE HELP, ANYBODY, who has ANY information on this location - what is it like, how many people, is the water drinkable, what are the housing conditions there, etc. This is a post-war zone.

I will be waiting for answers either on this forum or at [email protected]

Many thanks in advance,

Olga Simon.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-31 12:58 ]
Collapse

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
English to Croatian
+ ...
Brcko Jul 31, 2002

Check this site. It\'s in Bosnian. If you need any help, contact me.

Regards!

http://www.brcko.org/brcko.htm

Nenija Hasanic
Nenija Hasanic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Useful link! Jul 31, 2002

This is very useful link too!

http://www.ohr.int/ohr-offices/brcko/

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much - Aug 1, 2002

Both of you. I used both links in my research.

However, if I could still find someone who has \"live information\", not what the web says...

Have a good day, everybody!

Olga.

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:11
English to Russian
+ ...
I am not the best person to help you Aug 1, 2002

as I have never actually been to Brcko region. But my husband and I worked on a short-term project in other places in Bosnia last November-December. We were based in Sarajevo, then moved to Bejelina and then to Tuzla. To be honest, Sarajevo is the best place to be - the living standards are higher, it has more opportunities etc. Other places are pretty poor, many of them are still run down by the war, houses with bullet holes ... not a pretty sight... It is really sad and gradually it does make ... See more
as I have never actually been to Brcko region. But my husband and I worked on a short-term project in other places in Bosnia last November-December. We were based in Sarajevo, then moved to Bejelina and then to Tuzla. To be honest, Sarajevo is the best place to be - the living standards are higher, it has more opportunities etc. Other places are pretty poor, many of them are still run down by the war, houses with bullet holes ... not a pretty sight... It is really sad and gradually it does make you feel low and depressed...

They say the water is drinkable in Bosnia but I never ran the risk...

The locals are quite used to foreigners, but watch out for thieves, as we had an unpleasant experience. Most of the population live below the poverty level so you can imagine what they feel when they see foreigners. Do not get me wrong though, we made some good friends, even went to Belgrade for a weekend, stayed with a lovely family in a lovely flat which reminded me very much of Russian flats. Don\'t forget you are very close to beautiful places in Slovenia and Croatia. We have just come back from holiday in Croatia - I fell in love with the place!

The food is great - sort of Mediterranean… very tasty indeed!

Good luck, Olga and I hope you make the most of your stay there.

Yelena

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for anybody from Bosnia-Herzegovina / Brcko region

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »