Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Logos consortium - anyone else think it is bizarre?
Thread poster: Giles Bickford
Giles Bickford
Giles Bickford  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
Sep 11, 2002

Does anyone else find the Logos consortium, or whatever they want to call themselves, to be extraordinarily bizarre?

ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is this the Logos in Modena? Sep 11, 2002

Once when I was between jobs in Bologna, I was contacted by the Logos Translation Co. based in Modena. It was (is) owned by this guy from Chile who got a lot of coverage in mags and papers because of his overnight success. After one interview, they hired me immediately as Project Manager, promising 3 million lire a month (around $1,500 at the time) plus lots and lots of compensations. It was hard not to accept, specially because no one pays that kind of money in Italy and least for a translation... See more
Once when I was between jobs in Bologna, I was contacted by the Logos Translation Co. based in Modena. It was (is) owned by this guy from Chile who got a lot of coverage in mags and papers because of his overnight success. After one interview, they hired me immediately as Project Manager, promising 3 million lire a month (around $1,500 at the time) plus lots and lots of compensations. It was hard not to accept, specially because no one pays that kind of money in Italy and least for a translation post.

After giving my notice at my former job, I went to Logos, one month after the interview. When I got there, I was assigned to a project we hadn\'t discussed in the interview and to top it off, with a hostile group.

In addition, I discovered after talking to some friendly translators that the 3 million lira promised was only if you didn\'t declare taxes, something impossible in Italy. That meant that you had to get your \'Partita IVA\' so in practice, you were working as a freelancer not as an in-house translator.

This of course meant no benefits whatsoever and long working hours with no compensation.

The more I talked with other translators the more hideous things I discovered, including a story about a blitz done by the Italian IRS (Il Fisco) because someone had called them about the irregularities there.

The Chilean guy somehow found about it beforehand and gathered everybody up. He told everybody what they had to say...or else.

After I heard that, I decided to talk with the Chilean. I didn\'t tell him about what I had learned but complained mainly about the mobbing that suffocated the newcomers. He immediately sent some PR people to sweeten me up but it didn\'t work, it seemed too fake and after a few days, everything turned back to the ghastly atmosphere.

When I decided to leave, the Chilean guy traced me home and asked me why I had quit so fast, worried I\'d go to the papers or something. I never did though and I regret it.

But here I am now, sharing that bogus experience with anyone who cares to heed!

Beware of the Logos Co. in Modena!

Saluti a tutti,

Anayansi
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
what? Sep 11, 2002

Please explain what you are talking about.

Thax

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral
Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
You made us curious... Sep 11, 2002

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Please, use the Blue Board Sep 12, 2002

As far as I understand you\'re speaking about an agency. The \"Blue Board\" section exists for that (link on the left).

Thanks.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Dear Claudia Sep 12, 2002

The Blue Board doesn\'t allow for this kind of discussion.

I am sort of in the Logos database, every 6 months or so they send me an email concerning their personnel or their christmas parties or whatever. Once I was even offered a job through them which I wasn\'t interested in. I\'ve always wondered what they were and did. I find this information very interesting. \"The Chilean\" reminds me of the \"Chicago Boys\" who imposed radical free market policies in Chile after Pinochet came t
... See more

I am sort of in the Logos database, every 6 months or so they send me an email concerning their personnel or their christmas parties or whatever. Once I was even offered a job through them which I wasn\'t interested in. I\'ve always wondered what they were and did. I find this information very interesting. \"The Chilean\" reminds me of the \"Chicago Boys\" who imposed radical free market policies in Chile after Pinochet came to power, very much admired by Thatcher who hired one of them as an adviser.
Collapse

ANAYANSI KONRAD
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
One bad experience Sep 12, 2002

I only answered Giles question, if someone thought that the Logos Consortium was bizarre. That\'s why I asked if it was the same one in Modena, if it is, it is certainly very very bizzarre!

I think they have a website and everything, you can check it out.

My story is not second hand but personal and I\'m ready to back it up with anyone who has something to say about it.

Saluti,

Anayansi

ANAYANSI KONRAD
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rated in Blue Board Sep 12, 2002

Claudia, gracias por la indicación, ya le puse mi puntaje a la \'agencia\' en el Blue Board, pero como no soy Platinum Member, no pude comentar casi nada al respecto.

Sin embargo, pienso que hubiera tenido que ser Giles el primero a pedir info sobre la agencia mediante el BlueBoard y no mediante el foro tal como lo hizo. Yo me limité a contar mi experiencia.

Saludos,

Anayansi

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes and no Sep 12, 2002

OK, it\'s done now.

Somebody asks for information, a few understand what he\'s talking about, and one of them answers.

This answer enables me to see what all this is about, and I\'ve always seen that it hasn\'t to be done in these forums.

I don\'t understand why if you rate an agency in the BlueBoard you can\'t say there that you had a very bad experience and for more details you can be contacted, for example.

Yes, Anayansi, the question shouldn\'t have be
... See more
OK, it\'s done now.

Somebody asks for information, a few understand what he\'s talking about, and one of them answers.

This answer enables me to see what all this is about, and I\'ve always seen that it hasn\'t to be done in these forums.

I don\'t understand why if you rate an agency in the BlueBoard you can\'t say there that you had a very bad experience and for more details you can be contacted, for example.

Yes, Anayansi, the question shouldn\'t have been asked here, but my post is just to stop it, not to reprove.

And Olaf, when you say

Quote:

On 2002-09-12 12:23, OlafK wrote:

You can ask Henry, but I\'ve always seen that for this kind of discussion people are adviced to contact other lists about payment practices.

and when you say

Quote:

\"The Chilean\" reminds me of the \"Chicago Boys\" who imposed radical free market policies in Chile after Pinochet came to power, very much admired by Thatcher who hired one of them as an adviser.

I may think the same or not, but this kind of comment is really Off Topic.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-12 13:56 ]Collapse

jlg
jlg
French to English
+ ...
Logos - rip-off artists Sep 12, 2002

Logos defrauded me out of a translation worth more than £700 in 2000. I have still not been paid for this work.

They claim to have had a turnover of 29 million Euro in 2001.

Don\'t get turned over by them.
[addsig]

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Sorry, Claudia Sep 12, 2002

I thought I was in the Off Topic Forum. But of course I know I shouldn\'t discuss politics on ProZ, it was just something that sprang to mind immediately and I couldn\'t help myself.

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You're right Sep 12, 2002

You were in the Off Topic Forum talking about an Off Topic subject (agency) and you brought another Off Topic subject (politics).Here you\'re straying off the discussion topic.

So... we can\'t discuss of anything in the Off Topic Forum ? I\'m afraid not.

The limits aren\'t the same ones than for other forums, because lots of subjects can be discussed, but as we reflect a community of many, many cultures, countries, political ideology, religious believe... we must b
... See more
You were in the Off Topic Forum talking about an Off Topic subject (agency) and you brought another Off Topic subject (politics).Here you\'re straying off the discussion topic.

So... we can\'t discuss of anything in the Off Topic Forum ? I\'m afraid not.

The limits aren\'t the same ones than for other forums, because lots of subjects can be discussed, but as we reflect a community of many, many cultures, countries, political ideology, religious believe... we must be careful with some statements that can finish with unpleasant or hurting comments.

Collapse

jlg
jlg
French to English
+ ...
Logos and Logozz Sep 13, 2002

Is there any connection between the Logos group and Logozz (Canada)?

I ask this because the moderator of the present discussion, Claudia Iglesias,is part of Logozz.
[addsig]

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Answer to jlg Sep 13, 2002

Hi

As you have seen in my profile I\'m part of LoGoZZ, a team created by a group based in Montreal. If you had seen in the Blue Board what is said about the team leader and his agency you\'d have understood that it wasn\'t at all the same group this discussion was about.

It was so easy to write to me !

Please, stop the discussion about agencies here and refer to the Blue Board. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-13 10:49 ]

jlg
jlg
French to English
+ ...
Freedom of discussion Sep 13, 2002

Reference to the rules of the discussion forum shows this to be a legitimate debate in a proper forum, which should not be curtailed or suppressed in this way.

ProZ.com Forums Rules of Etiquette

The ProZ.com discussion forums are a free, private service provided to ProZ.com users in order to discuss translation-related topics. The following Rules of Etiquette have been created to provide a pleasant, results-oriented atmosphere for discussion.<
... See more
Reference to the rules of the discussion forum shows this to be a legitimate debate in a proper forum, which should not be curtailed or suppressed in this way.

ProZ.com Forums Rules of Etiquette

The ProZ.com discussion forums are a free, private service provided to ProZ.com users in order to discuss translation-related topics. The following Rules of Etiquette have been created to provide a pleasant, results-oriented atmosphere for discussion.

By posting a message in the forums, you agree to be bound by the ProZ.com Rules of Etiquette and Terms of Use. Postings that violate any of the Rules will be deleted in their entirety. Users who violate the Rules or Terms may be blocked from accessing these services and future interactive products and features.

The following are not allowed:

Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation

The use of profanity, obscenities, or objectionable language

Impersonating others or using assumed identities

Use of unauthorized copies of material (copyrighted, trademarked, or otherwise protected)

Personal attacks on others

Comments made on another\'s behalf (ex. \"Jenny thinks...\")

Straying off the discussion topic within a thread

Inhibiting any other user from using and enjoying the service

Posting or transmitting anything containing a virus or other harmful component

Site staff reserves the right (but assumes no obligation) to remove or edit any content not adhering to these Rules and the Terms of Use or that is deemed otherwise objectionable. ProZ.com staff also reserves the right to restrict access to these forums on an individual basis.

[addsig]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Logos consortium - anyone else think it is bizarre?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »