Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Making own music CDs with MP3 files
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post being replied to, has been removed
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post being replied to, has been removed
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Necroposting and netiquette scriptures Jan 27, 2021

I think I found the reason why necroposting is frowned upon here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

... See more
I think I found the reason why necroposting is frowned upon here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

So we have this necroposting ‘rule’, which someone in his (surely a male) infinite wisdom defined for some obscure reason, believing that His word must surely be the law for everybody on the planet, and why not the entire Universe and beyond?

And necroposting is bad because people who subscribe to the view that once a ‘netiquette’ rule has been defined by some dictatorial hack, no sin on Earth – or in the entire Universe, for that matter, as I hinted – is worse than breaking it, so insulting the perpetrator is par for the course, whereas ‘religious’ netiquette followers secretly hope the miserable sod will be slowly roasted over an open fire.

One must conclude that it is bad because the netiquette scriptures say it is bad, and thus the ‘religious’ followers will demonstrate how bad it is by posting nasty comments that make it clear how bad it is, so they can feel vindicated in their self-righteous and glorious beliefs.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Phew Jan 27, 2021

I’m just glad you don’t feel strongly about it, Thomas.

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Jean Dimitriadis
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
On the origins of necroposting or triple hail to irrelevancy Jan 28, 2021

In my view, this dates back to the origins of the Internet and has sprung not from a single in-His-infinite-wisdom-somebody, but organically as part of a predominantly hacker (and yes, predominantly white male, at the time at least) (sub)culture, since hackers were probably among the first *netizens* to populate newsgroups (early forums in Usenet), from which many other jargon terms have emerged, like *spamming*, *trolling... See more
In my view, this dates back to the origins of the Internet and has sprung not from a single in-His-infinite-wisdom-somebody, but organically as part of a predominantly hacker (and yes, predominantly white male, at the time at least) (sub)culture, since hackers were probably among the first *netizens* to populate newsgroups (early forums in Usenet), from which many other jargon terms have emerged, like *spamming*, *trolling*, etc.

In such a hacker society (and by hacker I mean an “advanced computer technology enthusiast and adherent of programming subculture), which some may qualify as meritocratic, building a reputation had its importance, and subscribing to some of its cultural views was helpful in that regard.

Like respecting people’s time and doing your homework before asking for help in a technical forum (see How To Ask Questions The Smart Way). Or like avoiding resurrecting old threads that are no longer relevant, in an online community environment where threads are all vying for people’s attention, with each new post making a particular thread go back to the top.

So necroposting is not just about resurrecting old threads. It is about doing so when it is no longer relevant.

Is irrelevancy such a cardinal sin? And does it warrant violent, knee-jerk reactions? This is surely debatable. But it can be annoying. Or amusing. Or annoyingly amusing/amusingly annoying. You get the picture.

When you post about Spotify in a thread where the last post was in 2002, is it some kind of “note to your former self” or rather, a hint to your “back to the future” self? And when this happens for the second time in a matter of days, it can be seen as wilful trolling. While calling names is out of bounds, I quite agreed with Lincoln’s first reaction, like “WTF”? Maybe in a more amused than annoyed kind of way, but the exact ratio boils down to individual idiosyncrasies.

In these forums, on paper (rule 4), Replies should not stray from the posted topic. When responding to a topic, stick to the topic as introduced. To change the discussion, it is necessary to post a new topic.
So relevancy is still seen as a virtue.

But what do we see here? Applying this rule too strictly would have erased most part of what is being posted during all these pandemic months. And I am as guilty of off-topicking as the next forum regular.

Maybe this element of irrelevancy is indeed quite relevant today. These are professional forums, to be sure (although they are now supplemented by the ProZ Facebook page, which lets say gives a different, parallel dynamic). But there is also a much-needed lightheadedness, to the point where successful and less successful professionals actually enjoy gathering and “wasting” their time together in a host of irrelevant, irreverent and off-topic topics and occasions.

In the past, I have protested against some heavy-handed moderation in these forums, but today I would like to applaud its discrete presence/absence, which allows for a lot more leeway than on paper. I feel this is much needed today.

And you don’t need much moderation when colleagues come to the rescue, building and safeguarding a collegial environment.

But no need for ostracizing or taking things too personally either way. Every contribution helps build this unique tapestry.

And I’ll take a grumpy, borderline insulting comment for breakfast anyday.

So necropost all the way to your heart’s content, people.

But expect at least some resistance

Edit: Oops, I wrote this before discovering all these post removals Quite ironic actually…

[Edited at 2021-01-28 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
But can we please agree... Jan 28, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

to catch the full force of his bedpan's contents from the upstairs window]

... that these contents are not solved in petrol, as suggested by our contact in Hong Kong? Just to prevent the police would have to turn Tom's house upside down. Thanks.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
A topic still up to date Jan 28, 2021

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Finally I found a lot of MP3s for downloading.

I´m using Nero Burning Rom for CD recording.

It is still a good idea to burn computer data on CD or DVD even today, to withstand the negative effects of static electricity, i.e. caused by thunderstorms.
Syracuse must have been affected by a thunderstorm this night too, because many of the posts in this thread have been destroyed and I assume, by static electricity. Therefore we should mirror all posts (on a mirroring website of proz.com = moc.zorp) or burn them on CD. Thank you, Jerzy, for your topic.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-28 07:20 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-28 07:55 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Jean Jan 28, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
A really long, cool post

This is in many ways a necroforum anyway. The Facebook group is much busier.

But I’ve been banned from the Facebook page

P.L.F. Persio
Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making own music CDs with MP3 files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »