Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:54
English to German
+ ...
Dec 15, 2019

Hi
I own several CAT tools (Studio, MemoQ, Wordfast Pro 5, Cafetran, Swordfish) and would like to know if any of these requires MS Office applications to be installed or if I can safely unsubscribe from Office 365 (both on Mac and Windows, and I don't use MS Outlook) and use the Softmaker Suite instead (much cheaper, much faster).

Laurent Mercky

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Dec 15, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
I own several CAT tools (Studio, MemoQ, Wordfast Pro 5, Cafetran, Swordfish) and would like to know if any of these requires MS Office applications to be installed...

A quick look at their web sites appear to indicate that you need MS Office for live or non-live previewing of MS Office files, and you need MS Office if you want to use MS Office's spell-checker (though all three of Trados, MemoQ and WFP5 will use Hunspell if MS Office is not available).

The bilingual review feature in Trados requires MS Word 2009 or later. As far as I know, MemoQ is quite particular with its bilingual review feature as well, although it may be that it will accept RTF files from SoftMaker Office. Ditto Wordfast Pro 5 -- I'm curious as to whether it will accept DOCX files from SoftMaker Office. But: you can test that yourself even before uninstalling MS Office.

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Pas de souci Dec 15, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hi
I own several CAT tools (Studio, MemoQ, Wordfast Pro 5, Cafetran, Swordfish) and would like to know if any of these requires MS Office applications to be installed or if I can safely unsubscribe from Office 365 (both on Mac and Windows, and I don't use MS Outlook) and use the Softmaker Suite instead (much cheaper, much faster).

Office 365 n'est utile que si vous souhaitez ouvrir des fichiers .docx
Ils sont totalement indépendants des autres logiciels et vice versa.
Donc, non Office n'est pas obligatoire pour travailler.
Par-contre, si vous deviez avoir à utiliser un fichier .docx, vous pouvez toujours le faire avec la version gratuite d'Office en ligne.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 36 subscription running out Dec 15, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
I own several CAT tools (Studio, MemoQ, Wordfast Pro 5, Cafetran, Swordfish) and would like to know if any of these requires MS Office applications to be installed...

A quick look at their web sites appear to indicate that you need MS Office for live or non-live previewing of MS Office files, and you need MS Office if you want to use MS Office's spell-checker (though all three of Trados, MemoQ and WFP5 will use Hunspell if MS Office is not available).

The bilingual review feature in Trados requires MS Word 2009 or later. As far as I know, MemoQ is quite particular with its bilingual review feature as well, although it may be that it will accept RTF files from SoftMaker Office. Ditto Wordfast Pro 5 -- I'm curious as to whether it will accept DOCX files from SoftMaker Office. But: you can test that yourself even before uninstalling MS Office.

Hi Samuel
yes, I could test that by myself and probably will before time runs out. I know MS Office once was a must but was wondering if this is still so.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pas de souci Dec 15, 2019

Laurent Mercky wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hi

Office 365 n'est utile que si vous souhaitez ouvrir des fichiers .docx
Ils sont totalement indépendants des autres logiciels et vice versa.
Donc, non Office n'est pas obligatoire pour travailler.
Par-contre, si vous deviez avoir à utiliser un fichier .docx, vous pouvez toujours le faire avec la version gratuite d'Office en ligne.

Merci Laurent.
Maybe I should have been more precise and ask what about docx or any other MS Office files embedded in (sdl)xliff files. Do these need MS Office installed?

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 15, 2019

[quote]Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

The problem solved by itself, I wasn't aware that a collaborator in my office was using MS Office as well and cannot be switched to Softmaker.
Thanks to all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 36 subscription running out

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »