Poll: With regards to work, was January a slow month for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 6, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "With regards to work, was January a slow month for you?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 6, 2019

Yes, January was slow for me this year in terms of the amount of work coming in, but THIS WAS A GOOD THING. It meant that I had plenty of time to sort out my tax affairs and end of the year admin and sort out things like a leaky water pipe around the house. Now we are only a few days into February and I'm more or less booked up for the month, which makes up for a thankfully slower January.

Ricki Farn
Nadia Silva Castro
Yaotl Altan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, it was about normal for me Feb 6, 2019

If I compare to last year, January was about normal: I invoiced almost the same amount, but if I compare to two years ago, it’s a completely different story: January was an exceptional month, the best ever! I hope I’ll get a chance to have a month like that again…

[Edited at 2019-02-06 18:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-02-06 18:39 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About normal Feb 6, 2019

Just about right. No complaints, except that my dog has been sick and a very large chunk of the money I made went for veterinarian bills.

[Edited at 2019-02-06 09:13 GMT]

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:09
English to Swedish
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Other Feb 6, 2019

The first week was busy, then nothing happened until February. I suppose this is not that unusual, as summer is often a bit slow, but then, with a small language, what is normal?

Axelle H.
Axelle H.  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Other Feb 6, 2019

The beginning of the month was absolutely crazy. And the last week was absolutely quiet. But back to the normal now

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
very slow Feb 6, 2019

I had taken some days off around New Year; worked for a week, then went away with my family for a week; back for half a week, then became sick and took the rest of the week off - months do not come much slower than last January for me!

Michael Harris

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very bad in Brazil Feb 6, 2019

Very, very bad, as has been the norm since 2017 at least.

Laura Nagle (X)
Laura Nagle (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:09
French to English
+ ...
yes and no Feb 6, 2019

In terms of new inquiries and the normal flow of smaller projects, it was probably a bit on the slow side. I felt very busy, however, because I was wrapping up a large project that had started late last year.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It's the same every year Feb 6, 2019

These polls are not posted simply at random, but probably because the translation industry feels the pinch in January/February every year. I can't speak for everybody else, naturally, but I have always found January to be an exceedingly difficult month in comparison to the rest of the year.

Nadia Silva Castro

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very bad Feb 7, 2019

The worst January and the worst month I've seen in a long time.
Income in February is 1/3 of the expected due to that.

Jennifer Forbes

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
pretty good Feb 7, 2019

For me it was about the same as last year, despite taking a week off to be with friends who came over for a convention. And then I got a big order that will take me right to the end of February so February will be much better than last year.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: With regards to work, was January a slow month for you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »