John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Quickbooks Feb 28, 2019

I bill in 5 different currencies, and have to submit sales tax returns every month, and also I have had 4 tax audits over the years, so I use Quickbooks which is very efficient, although a bit pricey. It also means I have very few late payers, since QB can send out reminders semi-automatically.

Ildikó Dawance Butz
Ildikó Dawance Butz  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:35
French to Hungarian
+ ...
PROZ Feb 28, 2019

With the billing tool proz.com - for me it's very good!

James A. Walsh
James A. Walsh
Spain
Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Software(?) Feb 28, 2019

Chris S wrote:

"a quill fashioned from a passing eagle's feather"

That really tickled me!

I chose "software", but when I say that, I don't mean any sort of specific invoicing software that I've bought or subscribe to.

I mean I use a "software programme" that I "manually" created myself many years ago. I call it the "Salary File"

It is essentially a Microsoft Access database connected to Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and Adobe Acrobat/Microsoft Outlook.

I simply update the numbers for each new customer/invoice, and hit the "Send Invoice" button (created by me).

I've been upgrading/tweaking/improving it once a year since 2006. If it's not broken, don't fix it, I say

[Edited at 2019-03-01 00:05 GMT]

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:35
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Manual Mar 1, 2019

I'm still adept at the manual, I've gotten used to it, the research concludes that even with the advancement of technology the manual invoice still wins.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 1, 2019

Over 90% of my invoices are generated through client platforms. Just recently I was told I would have to start issuing my own invoices for an upcoming series of projects. I will look into the ProZ tool, as I certainly don't want to start preparing a bunch of invoice manually, with or without feathers.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
German to English
+ ...
answering Icstranslations, "shocked" Mar 1, 2019

lcstranslations wrote:

Wow! Hard to believe people still do invoices manually when there is excellent and low costing software available. Nowadays we also have Cloud software so estimates/offers and invoices can be prepared and sent on the go. ....

The template I created was not only low cost - it was no cost. It does what I want it to do, and takes seconds to produce. Why should I do a thing that is "more modern" just because it is? In all likelihood it will take time to learn to use, and customize according to my needs, when what I have already perfectly meets my needs.

What bothers me is your "wow!" at the business choices people like myself have made, as though there were something silly about them. I am a professional, and my choices work well for me.

Kay Denney

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:35
Greek to English
With hands on the keyboard Mar 1, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

I calculate my invoices in Excel and send them in Word templates, I have one template per regular customer - I don't see how an "invoicing software" would be faster, I would still have to enter the project names, word counts and invoice number, so same amount of work?!

Likewise, except that I convert the invoices to PDF before sending.

So that's four pieces of software, including the email client.

I wonder how many people who answered "Manually" do something similar.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 1, 2019

lcstranslations wrote:
Wow! Hard to believe people still do invoices manually when there is excellent and low costing software available.

Wow! Hard to believe people actually pay to issue their invoices instead of using a simple Excel template at Zero cost!

In my case, it depends on the payment method chosen by the client.
For those who still insist in using PayPal, I use the site's invoicing system.
Several clients have their own invoicing platform, and I have to use them, of course.
For the others, I use my own Excel template (for free).

[Edited at 2019-03-01 17:09 GMT]

Kay Denney

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you make your invoices?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »