Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you say there is less human interaction during a translation project now than 3 years ago?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 04:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
In some cases only Jan 30, 2020

Human interaction is essential and is a must.

But some people are inclined to use less human interaction. Sometimes, they rely on search engines to get lower rates and hence make bigger profits.

I am not for the absence of human interaction, it is very necessary, especially in the initial and final stages (agreement on rates and payment and delivery of the translation).

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:13
French to English
. Jan 30, 2020

Justin Peterson wrote:

No. People stopped using phones and talking with the rise of the Internet, but that's going on ... what? 30 years now.

I notice the generation gap, clearly. Only older people want to talk to the translator on the phone.

For everyone else ... it's all email and texts.

I think we will end up with robot friends... and spouses. And no one will ever have to actually talk to a human being again. :/

They're already talking about robots as a viable solution for the lonely ... seriously.

I agree that human interaction has diminished compared to 30 years ago rather than 3.

I used to call translators for urgent jobs, nowadays we have phones that beep to let us know an email has arrived so I rarely get phone calls now. I actually panic when the phone rings, thinking it must be bad news!

24 years ago when I first started translating, I remember I had to go over to the Musée de l'Homme to consult an encyclopaedia they had, to find the names of some obscure musical instruments. Nowadays a quick Internet search will give me a picture and a video as well as its name in whatever language I might need.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not At All Jan 31, 2020

As a literary translator, I find that there is a lot of going back and forth between myself and my authors, and that it has often resulted in long-lasting professional relationships, as well as long-lasting friendships (I have been the guest of some of my clients in Europe).

Mina Chen
Mina Chen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
more or less the same Jan 31, 2020

Ten years ago I had a summer internship with a translation agency where I worked as a project manager. I used email and Skype to place jobs. Never used the phone once during that three months. Now I am a freelance translator and one of the agencies I work with uses Skype as their main communication platform. It seems they have different shifts and at all times there will be at least one PM online to answer questions.
MT has certainly come a long way, but the interaction surrounding a tran
... See more
Ten years ago I had a summer internship with a translation agency where I worked as a project manager. I used email and Skype to place jobs. Never used the phone once during that three months. Now I am a freelance translator and one of the agencies I work with uses Skype as their main communication platform. It seems they have different shifts and at all times there will be at least one PM online to answer questions.
MT has certainly come a long way, but the interaction surrounding a translation project is more or less the same the last decade.
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Why 3? Jan 31, 2020

I think the author of the question just forgot to type 0 after 3

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you say there is less human interaction during a translation project now than 3 years ago?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »